FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Amazon Payments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1144591-amazon-payments.html)

SGJazz Mar 30, 2013 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 20508609)
I have a question about AP. I understand the limit for sending is $1000 per month. Can I send 2 payments of $500 using a different card each time? Trying to minimize suspicion to the CC companies by making the AP charge smaller.

Should be no problem.

TheDapperDon Mar 31, 2013 8:10 am

So, the other person needs to be set up for AP as well? Or do they just need to have an Amzn account?

SGJazz Mar 31, 2013 8:59 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 20511710)
So, the other person needs to be set up for AP as well? Or do they just need to have an Amzn account?

Both completely set up.

idealflyer Mar 31, 2013 2:36 pm

Pardon the ignorance as new to churning, but isn't AP really just Paypal? I don't recall adding bank accounts to my account but noticed they are the sames as as Paypal.

Would I be able to add Paypal Cash to AP? How about loading via VR? Otherwise, what is the point of adding cash to use cash!?

shoreline Mar 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by idealflyer (Post 20513198)
Pardon the ignorance as new to churning, but isn't AP really just Paypal? I don't recall adding bank accounts to my account but noticed they are the sames as as Paypal.

Would I be able to add Paypal Cash to AP? How about loading via VR? Otherwise, what is the point of adding cash to use cash!?

No, they are not the same thing. Have you gone to the two sites and read to see the difference (or read the threads)?

Plenty of info. on how these work, but reading their perspective websites for T&C and reading through the threads of each would/should be the beginning and help lots with your learning process on these 2 venues.

This should be done before asking basically what it is or how to use it (I see you are not new to FT, but new to churning, so reading will be your friend for a bit).

After you have read, there are many here who will be more willing to help with questions (but educating yourself a bit is important).

punjabi2 Mar 31, 2013 7:57 pm

Just couple more hours before the jungle is green again :)

Astrophsx Mar 31, 2013 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy (Post 20481371)
Bail on AP stat. They are getting much better on their analytics and their clergy are actively waiting until you try to withdraw funds as their trigger for a shut down. Basically they are actively trying to trap money, not just shut down accounts.:eek:

Originally Posted by ashishduh (Post 20492253)
I've heard nothing of this. Source?

Notice there was no follow up response on this.

If Amazon was "actively trying to trap money" by freezing accounts... I'm under the impression there would be a significant amount of posts on here about this.

AlohaDaveKennedy Apr 1, 2013 3:57 pm

You forgot about PM's Astro.:cool: Responded via PM. Alot of traffic is going PM...

Originally Posted by Astrophsx (Post 20514481)
Notice there was no follow up response on this.

If Amazon was "actively trying to trap money" by freezing accounts... I'm under the impression there would be a significant amount of posts on here about this.

TheDapperDon Apr 1, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm about to sign up for this. I'm not going to do it often, or for a lot of money. I won't use cards from Town. I hope someone PMs me with a warning if I should not even bother.

indelible Apr 1, 2013 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 20519105)
I'm about to sign up for this. I'm not going to do it often, or for a lot of money. I won't use cards from Town. I hope someone PMs me with a warning if I should not even bother.

go for it

sametoyou Apr 1, 2013 7:53 pm

my $200 amex GC didn't work on amazon payment and the reason is because $1 was deducted from the balance just for putting up the card info. It has been over1 week and the $1 is not returned . so I was only able to do $199.

Daniel on the way Apr 2, 2013 9:41 pm

Amazon is a smart company but i do not know why they keep this so long time.

AlohaDaveKennedy Apr 2, 2013 10:16 pm

Poor internal controls. Enron was once considered to be a smart company, too.

Originally Posted by Daniel on the way (Post 20526862)

echip Apr 2, 2013 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Daniel on the way (Post 20526862)

Well, eBay has Paypal.
Amazon wants to show that they also has one of their own.
But in order to compete, Amazon will have to eat the fees for now. If they don't, active users will stop using them and closing their accounts. I am sure they realized that too. Amazon market cap is over $119 billion as of today, these fees are so tiny, not even a drop in the bucket. But what if they spin off Amazon Payments or sell it? Don't you think they could claim how valuable it is since they have more active users?

redtop43 Apr 3, 2013 5:24 am

Amazon's general business strategy is to invest in products and services that will give them a firm hold in certain markets. The big one has been the distribution centers, where they are trying to locate them close enough so that everyone can get their merchandise very quickly. The same with Amazon Prime, the 2-day unlimited delivery service for $79 a year. Both of these are very costly, but designed to increase market share. AP is probably the same. They have a long climb to get to EBay's level but they are willing to make the investment. Just my personal opinion, but sure, I doubt the $1000-a-month gravy train will last forever, but I don't think they are going to have an "OMG" moment and say "These FTers are eating us out of house and home, we gotta shut 'em down."

You would think that all the companies we exploit would have some bright pimply-faced summer intern and hand him or her a database of people using their services and say "Find us the ones who aren't making us money and help us get rid of them." But real companies don't work that way. They find a million reasons not to. IF they want to do that, they engage companies like the last one I used to work for (a multi-billion dollar vendor of Business Intelligence software) and buy software from them that's typically in 8 figures. One of the reasons is that the pimply-faced kid isn't going to cancel accounts, and the senior executive who will actually put together the proposal isn't going to risk their career and the market share they are proposing to shed on the analysis of some pimply-faced kid.