Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mcdullhk88
Dead as of 10/13/14

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.
FAQ's

Is Amazon Payments treated as a cash advance? No CC issuer has been reported as treating an AP transaction as a cash advance unless the sender selected "Payment is for Cash Advance" on the Send Money screen.
What does it mean when your payment is "pending"? Your payment will be reviewed. We are unsure whether this review is done by a human or computer. It should take less than 24 hours but is usually within minutes.
How should you describe your payment? "Goods or services" will allow you to charge with a CC and it will not be treated as a cash advance. Note: If you choose cash advance, it may be treated as such by your CC issuer; always choose Goods/Services. There is no reason to put anything in the optional description field - leave it blank.
What is the monthly limit for sending CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What is the monthly limit for receiving CC payments? $1,000 per calendar month per AP account
What if it is not allowing me to send/receive more than $500 or any at all? You probably have not verified your bank and/or added a CC. In order to get the full $1,000 allowance for sending and receiving you must have a bank verified AND a CC added to your account as a payment method.
Does AP qualify for special spending categories? Specifically it qualifies for Discover's (usually 4th quarter) category of online purchases but so far, not Chase's "5% CB on Amazon.com purchases." Refer to thread for other options.
Can you get shutdown? Yes.
How do you get shutdown? No one knows. Anecdotes are found throughout the thread. Some suspicious behavior that MIGHT get your AP account(s) shut down is listed below.
Which transaction is most advisable? A -> B -> C -> A (see here)
Are any fees charged during this process? No, not by Amazon Payments. If your transaction is treated as a cash advance by your card issuer--fees are possible. Beware and always double check that goods/services is selected!
Can you liquidate Amazon GC via AP? NO!
Can you liquidate other gift cards via AP? Yes. Note that you cannot liquidate the full value of a GC because amazon places a $1 hold while it verifies the validity of the GC. You can sometimes (not always) avoid the hold by entering an incorrect expiration date for the GC when adding it to your AP account, and after you have added it, go to "Edit my account settings," then to "Add edit or delete my credit cards" and edit the expiration date there.
When does the month end? It appears as if Amazon is on pacific time, so midnight PDT/PST is when the month resets.

It bears repeating that no one knows the methodology amazon uses to police AP transactions, determines which transactions violate its T&Cs, or identifies violators. However, various people in this thread and elsewhere have confirmed that their AP account(s) were shut down for the following reasons:
  • Associating one credit card number with more than one AP account (Be Careful if authorized user card has the same number as the primary card holder - in some instances the CC numbers are completely different)
  • Associating one bank account with more than one AP account
Print Wikipost

Amazon Payments

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: Several dozen
If insufficiently capitalized, one $1,000 transaction may be all Cardinal Fang needs to grab.

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
I finally provided my SSN for the account that needed it. No shut down yet. One successful transfer under my belt.

I now have two accounts with the same SSN/DOB, different email, slightly different names, completely unique registered cards and completely unique emails for transferees.

I did take one precaution and separate my transfers; one at the beginning of the month and one in the middle. If they ever decide to hold anything up I figure they'll get only one.

Wanted to report back.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:57 am

I'm sure this has been answered but none of the search terms I tried helped at all.

If my sister (with different last name) has an AP account can I link one of my credit cards to hers and send myself money? Would this raise flags b/c the credit card and my AP account have the same name? Anyone have any experience with something similar? Thanks!

The reason I don't want to just send her money is that I'm already using my AP account to send my gf money so I hit/come close to the $1000 monthly limit.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by MilesGator
I'm sure this has been answered but none of the search terms I tried helped at all.

If my sister (with different last name) has an AP account can I link one of my credit cards to hers and send myself money? Would this raise flags b/c the credit card and my AP account have the same name? Anyone have any experience with something similar? Thanks!

The reason I don't want to just send her money is that I'm already using my AP account to send my gf money so I hit/come close to the $1000 monthly limit.
I've been doing this for about 6-8 months now, using one card for 4 AP accounts, haven't had an issue yet.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:46 am

The answer you seek involves AUs. Related to the concept of AUs is the concept of Virtual Reality as implemented by Citi. These concepts have interesting applications in the art of Jungle Warfare.

Originally Posted by MilesGator

Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:55 am

"One card to rule them all" and "One account to rule them all" - weren't those the lines inscribed into the ring? The second line being the more important of the two.

Originally Posted by dsmith518
I've been doing this for about 6-8 months now, using one card for 4 AP accounts, haven't had an issue yet.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
The answer you seek involves AUs. Related to the concept of AUs is the concept of Virtual Reality as implemented by Citi. These concepts have interesting applications in the art of Jungle Warfare.
Great idea! Though I'll have to investigate this Virtual Reality you speak of as I've never heard of it before. You're the man...plus I love me some nerdy Tolkien references
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:14 am

Thanks for the info!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: aa
Those tricks wont last long as amazon is cracking down hard on these tricks.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: aa
its better to do a a to b and have them give you the funds another way this way you will survive.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by jada135
I doubt it. 6-8 months into it, still have no issue yet, so I don't think they are "cracking down hard". The only thing changed is only when open new account, you are required to enter SSN and DOB. But then there are people using same SSN and DOB for two accounts also have no problem.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:28 am

Indeed. The jungle is a dangerous place for the unwary.

Originally Posted by jada135
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:00 am

Yeah, that seems like an unreasonable risk for me to mess with AP. Best to just use this one as intended. Slow and steady wins the race.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
Yeah, that seems like an unreasonable risk for me to mess with AP. Best to just use this one as intended. Slow and steady wins the race.
^
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
Somehow, I don't think we're using this one as intended.

Mike
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:07 am
Suspended

The best way to use AP is any way you want. Enough of the value judgements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.