Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convert Gift Cards to Full Cash Value

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
That is too good to be true! Is there a limit on this?

JudyJFLA

Originally Posted by Amex Customer Care
American Express Gift Cards can be redeemed for cash (which is sent to you in the form of a check) by calling 1-877-297-4438, 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.

Beth
Amex Customer Care
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
What's the maximum amount that can be put on AmEx gift card? Where do they sell them (not the ones with preset limit, i.e. $10, $50 cards sold at Walgreens and such)?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by foxberg
What's the maximum amount that can be put on AmEx gift card? Where do they sell them (not the ones with preset limit, i.e. $10, $50 cards sold at Walgreens and such)?
Check out Amex website:

https://www.americanexpress.com/gift...p_inavgiftcard

https://www232.americanexpress.com/B...0098999I&cc=US

https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...00defaad94RCRD

Amex Giftcards: Terms and Conditions

Amex Giftcards FAQs

Last edited by lin821; Jan 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm Reason: adding FAQ link
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:56 am
Original Poster

It looks like there are fees to buy the cards initially. I see a section for promo code. Any idea what the promo codes are? And the big question, do the charges post as purchases?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:27 am

Location: Half time in PDX, Half time in Ajijic, Mexico. Near GDL
Programs: AA Platinum
Amex Gift Card purchase with SPG Amex posted as purchase.

I bought over $2k in Amex gift cards for Xmas gifts in November with my SPG Amex. They had a promo to waive the card purchase fees, so I just paid around $10 for the shipping. Posted as a purchase. If you can front the money, this could be good...what do you think JudyJFLA? I'm in Mexico so cannot give it a try til I get back to the States in June.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
You can go thru Bigcrumbs and get .0135% back which on a $3000 card would be $40.50 plus the points or miles from your amex card. Shipping is based on the value on the card and the $3.95 purchase fee can be free with the code AFL841 (from http://www.bestonlinecoupons.com/cou...gift-cards.asp ) There must be a free shipping code out there somewhere

They can be used as I understand on the mint site for coins, giving you an extra $30+ on each card. Of course if the cash out thru amex posted earlier is true you could skip the coin step.

JudyJFLA

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Jan 22, 2010 at 11:29 am
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:18 pm
nsr

I just called this number to cash in my cards and they told me "NO WAY".

American Express Gift Cards can be redeemed for cash (which is sent to you in the form of a check) by calling 1-877-297-4438, 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.

Beth
Amex Customer Care
Old Jan 22, 2010, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by nsr
I just called this number to cash in my cards and they told me "NO WAY".
I thought the collect FT wisdom is you can't always take CSR's words for it.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:55 pm
nsr

Originally Posted by lin821
I thought the collect FT wisdom is you can't always take CSR's words for it.
Is that also apply to csr posting on FT?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by nsr
Is that also apply to csr posting on FT?
Why not?

YMMV.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:57 am

Location: Half time in PDX, Half time in Ajijic, Mexico. Near GDL
Programs: AA Platinum
Code to waive Amex Fees

Got an email today to waive the fees when buying Amex Gift Cards. Code is
EMVALAX. Good thru March 15, 2010.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:02 pm
Company Representative - Amex

I escalated the issue of redeeming Gift Cards for cash as nsr noted in his post #22 that s/he called and received conflicting information.

To clarify, the following FAQ which is available online has been provided:

Is the Card a debit card or credit card?

The Card is a prepaid payment device with a dollar value that is either printed on the front of the Card or a variable load amount that is selected at the time of purchase. The Card is not a credit, charge or debit card. Except where required by law, the Card is not redeemable for cash. The Card is not transferable. The Card may not be used for unlawful purposes. The value on the Card at any time is its Available Balance.

This FAQ can be found in the American Express Gift Card Cardholder Agreement by visiting:

I apologize to you that the information that I received and posted was not correct and have forwarded feedback to the appropriate managers.

Please keep in mind that Cardmembers do not earn Membership Rewards points, Rebates, Delta SkyMiles, StarPoints, HHonors Points, TrueBlue Points, or SkyPoints for the purchase of American Express Gift Cards.

I apologize for any inconvenience this matter may have caused you.

Beth
Amex Customer Care
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:01 pm
nsr

I escalated the issue of redeeming Gift Cards for cash as nsr noted in his post #22 that s/he called and received conflicting information.

To clarify, the following FAQ which is available online has been provided:

Is the Card a debit card or credit card?

The Card is a prepaid payment device with a dollar value that is either printed on the front of the Card or a variable load amount that is selected at the time of purchase. The Card is not a credit, charge or debit card. Except where required by law, the Card is not redeemable for cash. The Card is not transferable. The Card may not be used for unlawful purposes. The value on the Card at any time is its Available Balance.

This FAQ can be found in the American Express Gift Card Cardholder Agreement by visiting:

I apologize to you that the information that I received and posted was not correct and have forwarded feedback to the appropriate managers.

Please keep in mind that Cardmembers do not earn Membership Rewards points, Rebates, Delta SkyMiles, StarPoints, HHonors Points, TrueBlue Points, or SkyPoints for the purchase of American Express Gift Cards.

I apologize for any inconvenience this matter may have caused you.

Beth
Amex Customer Care
Sorry, but you are wrong again... First, you DO earn points buying Amex GC. I just got the 1k MR on my last statement from a GC purchase (you might be confused with AMEX travelers check).

Second, the t&c do mention one way to cash your GC. If you wait after the "valid through" expiration date you can ask for a refund check on the available balance on the card. However, I'm not going to wait until Dec 2013 to cash mine GC....
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by nsr

Sorry, but you are wrong again...
I stand by my words to not take every CSR's words for it.

I give much much more credibility to savvy FTers' true testimonies from their own personal experiences.

FWIW, Amex CSR had posted this same wrong info (at least) twice on FT. Don't know why Amex CSRs don't follow through their own posts on FT when challenged.

At least, they are consistently wrong on the earning points part.

Evidence post from 12/7/09:
Originally Posted by PatMike
Hello. This is Courtney with Amex. The fee for the Amex Gift Card is $3.95 and you do not earn any Membership Rewards points, Rebates, Delta SkyMiles, StarPoints, HHonors Points, TrueBlue Points, or SkyPoints for the purchase of American Express Gift Cards. Hope this helps.
I have been buying Amex gift cards for year-end employee bonuses for years and I always have received the credit card points (usually SPG AMEX). If the above is true, it is therefore a change in policy from previous years.
Absent that, I would have just given them a check (which is what they would prefer, I'm sure).
I just purchased a batch and my statement will close next week. If I don't get my points, then I will obviously stop purchasing AMEX gift cards.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Amex gift cards

Seems like an opportunity to convert credit card spending into cash after exp. date. Any ideas?
I have seen today this:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/6314#comments
and this:
https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...defaad94RCRD#4
Does my Gift Card have an expiration date?
No. While there is a "valid thru" date indicated on the front of the Gift Card, the Available Funds on the Gift Card do not expire. The "valid thru" date is simply required to ensure that the Gift Card can be used at Merchants that request and/or require customers to provide a plastic expiration date during the transaction process. You may not use the Gift Card after the "valid thru" date, but can request a replacement to use any Available Funds that remain on the Gift Card. Contact us at the Customer Service Number to obtain a replacement Gift Card or for instructions on how to redeem the Available Funds. We will issue you a replacement Gift Card free of charge if your "valid-thru" date expires. If you ask us to issue you a check for the amount of any Available Funds remaining on the Gift Card after the "valid thru" date, we may hold the Available Funds for ten (10) business days after you request a check to ensure that all transactions have posted to our system. We reserve the right to decline to issue a replacement Gift Card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.