Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia to end 26-year contract with caterer Brahims'.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2023, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Life

https://www.nst.com.my/business/2023/08/949090/malaysia-airlines-finally-end-26-year-catering-deal-brahims

From a crony to another..
Old Aug 31, 2023, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA peasant, QF tin, VA drycracker
Notwithstanding the contractual/business issues, a bigger problem for passengers is that MH states on its FAQ page about this that it can't/won't accept (or honour existing) special meal/book-the-cook/etc requests.

It would be great to see updates here from FT members who experience MH catering in the next few weeks.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Probably will go back again to the same..

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/ca...contract-ends/
Old Sep 3, 2023, 7:54 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Originally Posted by gogooo
Probably will go back again to the same..

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/ca...contract-ends/
Doubtful it is just 20% late. 2 out of the two outgoing flights I was on ex KUL last week were delayed at least an hour due to missing aircraft, not just food.
​​​​​​Glad they got rid of the previous caterer, it was either sloppy fish or chicken on those flights in Y.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Loyaltylobby has picked up on it too..the comments are hillarious but really is unfortunate for an oneworld member.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2023/09/03/...your-own-food/
Old Sep 5, 2023, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, Flying Blue Gold, MH Enrich Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

After a 2 hours delay due to catering, this is what a friend was offered in Business Class on a flight from KUL to HKG. Only drinks available were coffee, tea, water and caned juice.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 8:58 pm

This is shocking. And the FAQ with all the babbling nonsense only makes it worse.

​​​​​​4. What are the affected flights?
The routes affected by the change in meal offerings include domestic and selected international routes operated by Malaysia Airlines.
>>> State the flight numbers in advance, dammit, so people can change to other flights if necessary.

7. Why did Malaysia Airlines not proactively appoint a new in-flight caterer sooner?
To ensure minimal inconvenience to your comfort and overall journey, we have initiated a robust business continuity plan effective from 1 September 2023 to provide alternative food and beverage options while actively exploring a new service provider that aligns with our unwavering commitment to delivering premium customer experiences.
>>> Why bother providing the question when your PR machine fails at not answering it!

​​​​​​10. Will I get any compensation for this product change? Will there be any reduction on ticket prices due to this product change?
Malaysia Airlines strives to offer a comparative meal offering in lieu of the normal meal services rendered. Hence, no compensation will be offered to customers.
>>> How on earth would the pics shown above be deemed a "comparative" meal? I'd say those with lounge access should bring a tupperware to pack a bento before going onboard.

12. I would like to a file a complaint. Where can I submit this?
We regret the inconvenience caused on your experience with us and appreciate your feedback on how we can serve you better. Kindly channel your feedback through our website https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/...t-us-form.html
>>> Like that's going to elicit anything other than a corporate non-apology.
TheRealBabushka and gogooo like this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 3:16 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FlyingYan
After a 2 hours delay due to catering, this is what a friend was offered in Business Class on a flight from KUL to HKG. Only drinks available were coffee, tea, water and caned juice.
Remarkable. The one thing that was still world class at MH, the satay, hopefully makes a return someday.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 9:12 am

I have flights both KUL inbound and outbound 30th Sept. Should I be worried, and perhaps cancel? They're refundable!
Old Sep 7, 2023, 6:38 pm

Overall not good.

https://www.todayonline.com/world/tr...terer-2248436?

At least MH has updated their FAQ on Sep 6 that it affects routes apart from those to Japan, the Middle East, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
aramis78 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
KUL - BKI in Y. Drink service was strictly Coffee or Tea, no sugar / milk etc. No additional water bottles either.

Slight delay but due to late arrival of aircraft, seems the catering is already parked at the gates

Old Sep 8, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Does anyone know if they have actually contracted for a new catering service or are they just not going to bother? Have flights in biz later in October on domestic legs so not long flights but would like to manage my wife's expectations. She already holds the carrier in low esteem!

​​
Old Sep 8, 2023, 10:00 pm

The perfectly valid question 7 (with its nonsensical non-answer) has been removed in the latest FAQ update of 6 Sep:

​​​​​​7. Why did Malaysia Airlines not proactively appoint a new in-flight caterer sooner?
To ensure minimal inconvenience to your comfort and overall journey, we have initiated a robust business continuity plan effective from 1 September 2023 to provide alternative food and beverage options while actively exploring a new service provider that aligns with our unwavering commitment to delivering premium customer experiences.

Instead, replaced with assurance that customers don't have to bring meals onboard.

​​​​​​7. Can I bring my own meals during this time?
There's no need to bring your own meal onboard. We provide meals for all customers based on their class of travel and the duration of the flight. However, if you do choose to bring your own meal, please be mindful of international travel restrictions when departing from or transiting through Malaysian airports. Specifically, any liquids, aerosols, or gels (LAGs) in your meal must not exceed 100ml. This restriction doesn't apply to domestic flights within Malaysia.

Also gone was the "halal police" statement that non halal foods are prohibited - as if any of their staff would be checking.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
BKK-KUL in J this week with catering loaded in BKK. No Pre-departure drinks except 1x bottled water.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 4:40 pm

Looks pleasant enough. For flights into KUL, are they catered out of the foreign airports?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.