Avoiding flying MH in future

Old Jun 13, 2020, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Avoiding flying MH in future

I have not been impressed with the way Malaysian Airlines has dealt with Covid-19 related cancellations. I had a return from Bangkok to Delhi booked for mid-April, Over a 3 week period from mid-March I received a series of over a dozen emails changing the times and then the dates of my flights, before finally receiving an email stating that my flights had been cancelled.

When I 'phoned Malaysian to request a refund I was told that they could only offer me a voucher. I was prepared to accept a voucher, but wanted to know it could be used for bookings on their web-site, but was told it could only be used by 'phoning a call-centre; and in response to a further question I was advised that call-centres did not have access to the lower prices that are available online.

I tried the HUCA technique a few times, but got the same set of responses each time, so eventually disputed the charge with my (UK) credit card provider and swiftly had the price I paid for the ticket refunded. Six weeks has now elapsed, and the refund cannot now be reversed.

Various other flights I had booked with other Asian airlines were also cancelled, but I have received refunds from Vietnam Airlines and Thai Airways and an account credit from Air Asia.

Malaysian's attitude has left a very bad taste in my mouth, and thus I decided I should try to avoid flying with them in future; the problem however is that the two return BKK-DEL return trips a year I make with them provide me 720 BA tier points which are necessary to get me over the BA GGL requalification threshold. Although it would cost quite a lot more, the other One World option would be to fly with Cathay from Bangkok to Delhi which would earn me the same number of points, and despite the extra cost I was minded to do this in future.

BAs announcement a couple of days ago that my current GGL status would be rolled over for a further year, and that to requalify for the year after that I would need only 2,250 tier points instead of 3,000, makes things even simpler. I can now take direct flights between Bangkok and Delhi, save a bit of money, and not have to worry about making up the missing tier points for at least two years.

I believe there are a lot of other equally p***ed-off, ex-Malaysian customers who will similarly be seeking to exclude MH from their travel plans in future, so I think Malaysian may come to regret their very short-sighted policy on cancelled flights.
MSPeconomist and quinzinho like this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Did you ask your credit card company for a chargeback?
Old Jun 13, 2020, 10:54 am
Original Poster

This was not a Section 75 claim if that's what you mean. My card is a BA badged American Express card and I simply invoked the standard charges dispute process.

The pure online process wouldn't load (too many charges being disputed), so I disputed the charge with an operator via the Chat function, The key part was that I had already discussed the matter with Malaysian, and that they had refused to refund me, despite them having cancelled my flights.

Since I had already sought, but failed to get a resolution from Malaysian, the amount I had paid was refunded almost immediately, although I was told that if Malaysian were able to demonstrate that the terms and conditions of my flights allowed them to cancel the flights without refunding me, the refund could be reversed.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Yeah I fully understand your frustration. MH has been absolutely terrible towards their customers. Also, as Enrich Platinum I've heard jack all regarding status extension.
They will realize soon they've scared away most of what was left from their customer base.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:46 am

Theyve been awful handling the current virus situation. So has AK. The malaysian public is rightly angry with them. I cant avoid them but im certainly not going to go out of my way anymore to fly them going forward.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:41 am

Firefly (MHs little sister airline) is just as bad. Only credit account (equivalent of a voucher) is given, initially valid for 3 months but more recently extended to 6 months. The only saving grace is it can be used to book online, unlike MH.

With my GGL extension for a year, Im giving absolutely zero paid business to MH for the coming year.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by quinzinho
Yeah I fully understand your frustration. MH has been absolutely terrible towards their customers. Also, as Enrich Platinum I've heard jack all regarding status extension.
They will realize soon they've scared away most of what was left from their customer base.
Its silly that they push away whatever loyal following they have and then come up with some ridiculous status fast-track (which is anything but lucrative) when they realise theyre losing elite members.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 5:13 pm

Indeed. Penny wise, pound foolish. When this is the time when they need people to be loyal to them the most.
d00t likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond
MH have been pretty inept on this front, I agree. Instead of dealing with refunds in a proper, and timely fashion, they played a game where they forced people (who qualified for a refund under their own Ts&Cs, hoping that people will settle for vouchers).

I have my own saga with MH for flights affected by COVID19, and like OP I just asked AMEX for chargeback. It came with the usual caution that MH could come back to prove that they have the option to not refund me, but I have their Ts&Cs in writing. So far 4 weeks after the chargeback with funds in my card, no issues so far.

MH will seriously lose out as they have no visibility of card companies doing chargeback, and losing loyal customer base too. Double whammy.

Such short sighted leadership decisions.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by quinzinho
MH is the only oneworld airline to not have announced any type of status extension.
Honestly, if they extended everyone's status now I'd leave them too - what's the point. As demand picks up, other bigger, more reliable airlines will offer status matches.
Perhaps that will be the best part of having Enrich status ---- using it as the way to get top status with other airlines.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:55 am

The way i see it - theyre going to have to seriously discount (more than they did before) for me to fly with them.

Hopeless basket case. never thought Id say it after 700 odd sectors with them.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Yes, I think I've flown over 100 sectors with Malaysian since they joined One World Alliance (and right through the period when others were abandoning them in droves after MH370 and MH17), but their ongoing head-buried-in-sand response to the corona-virus cancellations just beggars belief.

The failure to address the issue of extensions to their loyalty scheme is further proof that their senior management is both deaf and incompetent. Privatisation could be the answer, but would anyone want to buy this basket-case of an airline?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:02 pm

I mentioned this on one of the other threads in relation to my sister having her July flights cancelled that I can't understand why they are charging the fare difference, just waiving the change fee is ridiculous and that should be expected anyway when they do the cancellation. A refund would be her preferred option (I think she's going to try for a chargeback) but she still wants to do the trip in the future so would happily rebook for next year when things should be back to normal and they can keep her money, no hassle for them or her but now having got a good sale fare she's looking at potentially having to pay out who knows how much to rebook (SYD-LHR return in J). So short sighted and as you all say, doesn't bode well for their future bookings as they're now off the list for my whole family when doing the opposite journey annually.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:43 pm

I am p****ed off with MAS (and also MAVCOM for giving them the OK to screw all the passengers) with their offer of vouchers. The face value of the vouchers is less than the ticket price paid, plus apparently only the non-discount fares are available to be re-booked.

MAS are getting a new CEO; I really hope they he can make some real changes.

If MAS were not in OneWorld I would never bother to fly with them.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:44 pm

What's the status fast-track you refer to?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.