Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding flying MH in future

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by immunedata
What's the status fast-track you refer to?
Should be this one, but it's barely useful:

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/...ite-miles.html
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by quinzinho
Should be this one, but it's barely useful:

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/...ite-miles.html
In fairness you'd have to applaud MH for this creative promo - I haven't heard of miles conversion that converts to a bonus in status points as well. But agree the 10K status points cap from such conversions has rendered this promo to be barely useful.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by immunedata
If MAS were not in OneWorld I would never bother to fly with them.
When they first joined OW, their fares were competitive, even bordering on ridiculous, for certain routes - useful for status runs. But over the recent years, even those had been depleted. So there's not much going on to encourage people to fly MH really.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 8:02 am

I experienced the same issue. I had a ticket to Guangzhou in Apr and they refuse to refund due to flight cancellation. They did offer the voucher but only valid for 6 months. Which mean I have to use it by end of this year. This is ridiculous.
quinzinho likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:19 am

Your money goes to Cathay or your company’s?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Your money goes to Cathay or your company’s?
You’ve indirectly raised a good point. If the airfare was booked as a business trip and the airline merely gives a voucher - it completely screws up the expense claim process, especially if the trip was already charged to your corporate card that you need to claim reimbursement for with proof that the flight was taken!
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by FQ415
I experienced the same issue. I had a ticket to Guangzhou in Apr and they refuse to refund due to flight cancellation. They did offer the voucher but only valid for 6 months. Which mean I have to use it by end of this year. This is ridiculous.
Can the MH voucher be used to book for someone else or only in the name of the original passenger? For Firefly (MH subsidiary), it is in the form of credit tagged to the original booker but may be used on anyone else like cash.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Can the MH voucher be used to book for someone else or only in the name of the original passenger? For Firefly (MH subsidiary), it is in the form of credit tagged to the original booker but may be used on anyone else like cash.
The voucher is not transferable. Most likely I I can't use it by end of this year due to the situation. Moreover, China is not opening the boarder for tourist yet.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by FQ415
The voucher is not transferable. Most likely I I can't use it by end of this year due to the situation. Moreover, China is not opening the boarder for tourist yet.
That is, inherently, unfair to the passenger.

Perhaps we should all have a collective view in FT on which airlines have gone “above and beyond” to be flexible in refunds during COVID and which are short sighted hence didn’t. The former category deserves our support and loyalty when we take to the skies again, but the latter just don’t.
FQ415 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:42 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
When they first joined OW, their fares were competitive, even bordering on ridiculous, for certain routes - useful for status runs. But over the recent years, even those had been depleted. So there's not much going on to encourage people to fly MH really.
I agree. Even a few years back then after their 2 tragedies, their fare was so competitive especially in business class which earned me a lot of status miles. But somehow even their business is not doing too good, fare has gone up to the level of the counterparts.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
I'm confused with the MH voucher. I have an E mail saying I have now a voucher for my 4 sector flights. My booking still exists on the App and I receive E mails for various flight cancellations and time changes. It's a mess. I'm assuming as I don't fly, have the email I can rebook at any time up to Dec 20 for flight during 21. Awful airline with handling of this. My route was to Jakarta from Singapore and back via KUL.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 7:58 pm

Following on from my last I called MH. Yep still refusing to refund voucher and happily listened to me explaining why I will never fly with MH again once I have "utilised" said vouchers although ofcourse I now expect to pay more for the flight. Total apathy and indifference. I for one will shed no tear if they fold.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Oooh, but those TPs...

MH has annoyed me so many times over the years. I've sworn several times now that I'll never fly them again but each time I've broken my promise by jumping on those great KUL-TPE fares (280 TPs) or a cheap KUL-PEN tag (an easy 80TPs). So I'll just be pragmatic and say that even though they irritate me, I know I'll inevitably end up flying them from time to time for TP runs assuming they remain in Oneworld!
nivsy and cyktai like this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Too much travel
MH has annoyed me so many times over the years. I've sworn several times now that I'll never fly them again but each time I've broken my promise by jumping on those great KUL-TPE fares (280 TPs) or a cheap KUL-PEN tag (an easy 80TPs). So I'll just be pragmatic and say that even though they irritate me, I know I'll inevitably end up flying them from time to time for TP runs assuming they remain in Oneworld!
I do hear you....big sigh! 🙉🙈
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Originally Posted by Too much travel
Yes, MH has been very useful for acquiring tier points at low cost (best ever was 360 tp for £220 BKK-PVG rtn in 2015), but thanks to BA's status extensions and reduced re-qualification levels I won't need to fly MH for that purpose until at least February 2022

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.