Looking to do a BAEC TP run with MH

Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:38 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,583
Looking to do a BAEC TP run with MH

What's the cheapest way to book MH J for KUL-PEN? It seems like the pricing is the same no matter when I book. OTA and MH's own website seems pretty similar. I want to quickly arrive at PEN and then fly back to KUL. How much time would I need in order to make this happen? Ideally, it would be nice to do two trips in one day. I don't know if that will be possible. Will having OWS make the check-in nice and fast? I will have no luggage except for my backpack.
lsquare is offline  
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:21 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: Enrich
Posts: 449
There is no difference in term of check in between ruby and sapphire. But since you only have backpack, it make no difference. For current situation of COVID I believe there isn't any lounge available.

But for normal time, I'm very appreciate on the priority baggage for OWS disregarding the travel class...
lsquare likes this.
dici is offline  
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:17 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,583
Originally Posted by dici
There is no difference in term of check in between ruby and sapphire. But since you only have backpack, it make no difference. For current situation of COVID I believe there isn't any lounge available.

But for normal time, I'm very appreciate on the priority baggage for OWS disregarding the travel class...
I'm asking for the future and not now. I do hope to go back to KUL before November.

If I land in PEN and want to quickly fly back to KUL, how much time will I need?
lsquare is offline  
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:15 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The KUL city
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Posts: 2,628
Originally Posted by lsquare
If I land in PEN and want to quickly fly back to KUL, how much time will I need?
You can do a back-to-back at PEN. You will walk into the same hallway as you will depart (no security screening required). I'd say total time for a back to back is around 2:25. 50 minutes flight x 2 + 45 minutes turnaround plus time to/from KUL to city (unless you are flying in from a different city). But if you are traveling in November, I'd add more time especially if your flight is in the afternoon due to thunderstorms (rainy season in KL then).
lsquare likes this.
nov11 is offline  
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:01 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 305
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm asking for the future and not now. I do hope to go back to KUL before November.

If I land in PEN and want to quickly fly back to KUL, how much time will I need?
Pre-pandemic, you can do same plane turnaround as there is mingling of arriving and departing passengers. You exit the plane Via the airbridge and literally enter the terminal / departure gate, ready for the boarding announcement for the return flight to KUL. You may book two one-ways and check-in online and have mobile boarding passes ready.

However, post pandemic, I dont know whether MH will require additional health-related doc before check-in which means only a physical check-in at the airport is possible, and which also means a back to back would be impossible.
lsquare likes this.
Zawnet is offline  
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:04 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,583
Originally Posted by Zawnet
Pre-pandemic, you can do same plane turnaround as there is mingling of arriving and departing passengers. You exit the plane Via the airbridge and literally enter the terminal / departure gate, ready for the boarding announcement for the return flight to KUL. You may book two one-ways and check-in online and have mobile boarding passes ready.

However, post pandemic, I dont know whether MH will require additional health-related doc before check-in which means only a physical check-in at the airport is possible, and which also means a back to back would be impossible.
Did Malaysia put up domestic travel restrictions? If not, why would they require health documents or vaccine documents? I can understand if it's from an incoming international flight though. Also why book one-way instead of a return flight? Are prices fairly stable regardless of whether I book in advance or same-day?
lsquare is offline  
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:40 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by lsquare
Did Malaysia put up domestic travel restrictions? If not, why would they require health documents or vaccine documents? I can understand if it's from an incoming international flight though. Also why book one-way instead of a return flight? Are prices fairly stable regardless of whether I book in advance or same-day?
Currently inter-state travel is not allowed in Malaysia unless you have an absolute necessity (e.g. travel to take care of a sick family member etc)
lsquare and zsc like this.
asiantraveler60 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:18 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 305
Originally Posted by lsquare
Did Malaysia put up domestic travel restrictions? If not, why would they require health documents or vaccine documents? I can understand if it's from an incoming international flight though. Also why book one-way instead of a return flight? Are prices fairly stable regardless of whether I book in advance or same-day?
There are currently inter-state travel restrictions. Who knows what will be in place for a soft-landing after the partial lockdown Is lifted?

Also you are not able to book a return tkt for a same plane turnaround. The booking engine will not allow that due to Its requirement for a minimum one hour or more in between two flights. The only way to overcome this is two one-ways, and domestic fares are typically the same - a return fare is 2x one way for the same RBD.
lsquare likes this.
Zawnet is offline  
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:35 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: 1A
Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Posts: 1,821
I wouldn't bother with status runs [or the idea of them]..... you're going to see some amazing things come out from airline once demand picks up.
d00t is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:55 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,085
Originally Posted by Zawnet
Also you are not able to book a return tkt for a same plane turnaround. The booking engine will not allow that due to Its requirement for a minimum one hour or more in between two flights. The only way to overcome this is two one-ways, and domestic fares are typically the same - a return fare is 2x one way for the same RBD.
Realised on rereading... price of 2x domestic one-ways = 1x round trip. right. Semi-nesting only would make sense if the nested ticket was cheap... but that wont be the case for domestic flights.

Of course, with the way MHs scheduling is now.... well, KUL-PEN is down to 1-2 flights daily until June, then only 3 until November? After that its back to 7, but things will quickly change with any new developments... *shrug*

Either way, Penang is a nice place to visit; might as well spend at least a day there if one must to get that travel in.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Apr 23, 2020 at 7:16 am
crackjack is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:07 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,583
Originally Posted by crackjack
Realised on rereading... price of 2x domestic one-ways = 1x round trip. right. Semi-nesting only would make sense if the nested ticket was cheap... but that wont be the case for domestic flights.

Of course, with the way MHs scheduling is now.... well, KUL-PEN is down to 1-2 flights daily until June, then only 3 until November? After that its back to 7, but things will quickly change with any new developments... *shrug*

Either way, Penang is a nice place to visit; might as well spend at least a day there if one must to get that travel in.
I've been to George Town before. Everything that I stated are for normal times. So basically there's no point to buying a round trip, but rather buy two one-ways since the price is the same and I'll gain scheduling flexibility? What's the minimum time to buying a ticket and boarding?
lsquare is offline  
Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:35 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by lsquare
What's the cheapest way to book MH J for KUL-PEN? It seems like the pricing is the same no matter when I book. OTA and MH's own website seems pretty similar. I want to quickly arrive at PEN and then fly back to KUL. How much time would I need in order to make this happen? Ideally, it would be nice to do two trips in one day. I don't know if that will be possible. Will having OWS make the check-in nice and fast? I will have no luggage except for my backpack.
Nobody knows what the pricing will be like because nobody knows what things will be like 4-6 months from now. Flights may still be grounded and only emergency travel allowed.
SB177A is offline  
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:51 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Posts: 892
I vaguely remember reading somewhere way back in the past on the BAEC board that the crediting gets messed up if you take the same route more than once a day. No biggie, but just bear in mind the potential additional admin to reclaim missing points if you're doing KUL-PEN-KUL-PEN-KUL! There are other domestic Malaysian airports where immediate turnarounds are possible - there was a thread somewhere on FT.
lsquare likes this.
Too much travel is offline  
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:41 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,583
Originally Posted by Too much travel
I vaguely remember reading somewhere way back in the past on the BAEC board that the crediting gets messed up if you take the same route more than once a day. No biggie, but just bear in mind the potential additional admin to reclaim missing points if you're doing KUL-PEN-KUL-PEN-KUL! There are other domestic Malaysian airports where immediate turnarounds are possible - there was a thread somewhere on FT.
You got a link to that thread?

TIA!
lsquare is offline  
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:02 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 305
Originally Posted by Too much travel
I vaguely remember reading somewhere way back in the past on the BAEC board that the crediting gets messed up if you take the same route more than once a day. No biggie, but just bear in mind the potential additional admin to reclaim missing points if you're doing KUL-PEN-KUL-PEN-KUL! There are other domestic Malaysian airports where immediate turnarounds are possible - there was a thread somewhere on FT.
MHs Enrich also has similar issues. It required manual intervention to credit the repeated sectors.

Other friendly airports for immediate turnaround are KBR and JHB.
lsquare likes this.
Zawnet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.