Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MAS refuse to refund money to us.WE MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!

Old May 3, 20, 10:49 am
Original Poster

MAS is not taking our view seriously. All they offer is a travel voucher which you can only use for the passenger the original ticket booked under, and need to top up fare difference! Moreover, if you book somewhere cheaper, the remaining value will be forfeited! This is unacceptable... Please help to sign and share this petition!

For those who wants to sign for the petition you can search for this headlines at change.org

Demand MAS to Revise Open Ticket Flexibility Policy due to COVID-19 Flight Cancellation

I will share the link to you ASAP!
Thank you very much!

Last edited by Yie Kun Ang; May 4, 20 at 9:13 am Reason: phone number removed
Old May 3, 20, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Yie Kun Ang View Post
MAS is not taking our view seriously. All they offer is a travel voucher which you can only use for the passenger the original ticket booked under, and need to top up fare difference! Moreover, if you book somewhere cheaper, the remaining value will be forfeited! This is unacceptable... Please help to sign and share this petition!
Those who are able to sign the petition please PM me on whatsapp!
Phone num: [Redacted for privacy]
I will share the link to you ASAP!
Thank you very much!
Please refrain from posting your phone number. Share the link here for the petition.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 4, 20 at 8:38 am
Old May 3, 20, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Seriously, if you have a problem with MAS, you should contact:

https://www.pmo.gov.my/about-us/contact/
Old May 3, 20, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Seriously, if you have a problem with MAS, you should contact:

https://www.pmo.gov.my/about-us/contact/
First you said you want to start a petition. You didn't. Instead you posted your phone number. When you are told to stop posting your phone number and to post the supposed link to this petition, you go and advertise a government agency link.

Waste of time.
Old May 3, 20, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by SB177A View Post
First you said you want to start a petition. You didn't. Instead you posted your phone number. When you are told to stop posting your phone number and to post the supposed link to this petition, you go and advertise a government agency link.

Waste of time.
Wrong person.
Old May 3, 20, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by SB177A View Post

Waste of time.
The OP cannot post links. It requires 5 posts I believe before one can post a link. So I am guessing that is the reason s/he posted the phone number. How do you know there isn’t really a petition? Did you ask him/her?

(Not that I agree or not with the OP’s rant or the petition. Just giving the reason why the link was not posted)
Old May 4, 20, 2:27 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
All they offer is a travel voucher which you can only use for the passenger the original ticket booked under, and need to top up fare difference!
Most airlines, incl. die Lufthansa Group airlines, are practising similar refund/rebooking procedures.
Some kind of petition wont help at all. Today airlines do not care for bad publicity, all they care is their cash flow position.

You only have to pathways: Try to go down the chargeback route and start fighting with you bank .... And/Or sue Malaysia Airlines. However, this only works if you flight is starting in the UK.
Most other countries have weak consumer protection laws/enforcement, hence, sueing MH in Malaysia or Singapore is a futile exercise.
cyktai likes this.
Old May 4, 20, 3:02 am

The problem facing many airlines today boils down to the simple issue of cash flow.

Eg, We buy a ticket in January to fly in May, and pay in full at the point of transaction. The airline simply does not keep your cash until May. The money would have been spent on salaries, paying suppliers, on maintenance, on fuel as part of January's revenue.
It has now been almost six weeks since the day MH stopped flying. I would imagine they have no means of doing any large scale cash refunds unless Khazanah decides to grant them another massive cash injection.

Pay attention to the news and you will realise airlines across the globe are facing the same issues. SQ is even exploring the option of sale-and-leaseback of their aircraft to raise funds. Whether Airlines like MH will survive the COVID crisis is anyone's guess, and a petition calling for refunds is the least of their worries.
Old May 4, 20, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Sorry this forum doesn't allow me to share link at here. So i have to find other way to give you.

Thank you for helping me to explain!! I'm new to this forum and i can't send link until i made 5 posts (

So i will find a way to share the petition link in here ASAP!!

I will take the recommendation from you guys !! Thank you for all the opinion1

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 4, 20 at 8:43 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old May 4, 20, 3:08 pm

So i will find a way to share the petition link in here ASAP!!
Why? No one will care of a petition from you.
Old May 5, 20, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
As the Malaysian regulator is not appearing enforcing the airlines to refund, it's unlikely the airlines are going to change their stance. Until you can influence the regulator to change their tune you will probably face an uphill battle...

https://www.mavcom.my/en/consumer/fl...-covid-19-faq/

Or take the airline to court to enforce their T&C's at the time of purchase.
Old May 5, 20, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
It's hard to understand the aggressive, confrontational responses to the OP.

On the other hand I understand perfectly why the OP is frustrated by, and angry with, the airline taking our money as an unsecured, interest-free loan redeemable only from a limited range airline services.

But organising a petition isn't only therapeutic; it will draw attention to iniquitous behaviour.
Old May 5, 20, 5:44 pm

But organising a petition isn't only therapeutic; it will draw attention to iniquitous behaviour.
No media really will care about it.
Old May 7, 20, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
On the other hand I understand perfectly why the OP is frustrated by, and angry with, the airline taking our money as an unsecured, interest-free loan redeemable only from a limited range airline services.
In fact, it's a loan that automatically converts to an enforced "donation" to the airline when the validity of the voucher expires, oftentimes due to the purchaser's inability to travel in the future for whatever reason.

Regardless of the challenge they face, airlines should be made to view contracts with consumers as for a specific time + date + route + travel class - if any of the originally contracted elements cannot be delivered for whatever reason, the contract is void and the customer should be given full restitution in the form of a refund.
Old May 7, 20, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The simple fact unless one can point to a legal requirement that the carrier issue a refund, none will be issued.

Easy enough to say what ought to be. But, it is not.

A petition will achieve nothing. The carrier already knows what passengers want, it simply chooses not to.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: