Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Analysts suggest MH should shut down after failing to be profitable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Analysts suggest MH should shut down after failing to be profitable

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
A large portion of population feels entitled and doesnt understand the concept of service. A wider reform in education is required to bring any substantial change to Malaysia. Btw the LCC is a pure ponzi scheme, so when it comes to fail will be a problem multifold of the current one
quinzinho likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ashkale
A large portion of population feels entitled and doesnt understand the concept of service. A wider reform in education is required to bring any substantial change to Malaysia. Btw the LCC is a pure ponzi scheme, so when it comes to fail will be a problem multifold of the current one
Could you please explain why the LCC concept of Air Asia is s ponzi scheme?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by quinzinho
Could you please explain why the LCC concept of Air Asia is s ponzi scheme?
I too would have been interested but having read the whole of the post I ignored it
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by amnicoll
I (an Englishman) have no doubt that left to their own devices Malaysians could run an excellent airline and turn in a profit in the long run and that the problem is governmental interference. Sure there are social and wider economic benefits in running some services that are not profitable and the cost of these should be bourne by the government if they want MAS to run them and it should be paid for in the form of a contract with the government and not a cost to be carried by the airline
having done a lot of business in Malaysia, I believe that the problem is far more serious than government intervention.
Having a traditional Malay corporate structure compete internationally is near-impossible. It is not sufficient to simply appoint a foreign CEO or top management team.
d00t, ashkale, jysim and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Of course there are Malaysians capable of running an airline. The real question is whether MH will be given a free hand to operate like a for-profit company. The airline won’t prosper if the meddling continues, foreign CEO or otherwise.

Sorry, just to be clear: I meant the statement that none of the Malaysians given the opportunity to run the airline have failed is, even if has been shown to be true, quite a harsh one to make... the implications of the PM saying it like that are doubly so (since neither Mueller or Bellew were able to do as much as needed either).

I too am sure there are Malaysians who would run the airline brilliantly. Sadly, they've not been put into place and / or given the tools to do so. Which is a shame, as I too find the onboard personnel to normally be quite good.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:10 pm

Update on the MH ownership saga:
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-bank-12617064

The article seems to be confused on whether this GSV group is proposing they will purchase a 100% ownership stake in MH or if Khazanah will keep its controlling stake, as both are alluded to in the article text.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Originally Posted by crackjack

The article seems to be confused on whether this GSV group is proposing they will purchase a 100% ownership stake in MH or if Khazanah will keep its controlling stake, as both are alluded to in the article text.
Talk is easy, but can they walk the talk (eg dealing with the almighty union) should everything materialized.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by crackjack

The proposal was made early March according to the article, and probably worked on weeks before. The World has dramatically changed in the past month.

Last edited by brunos; Apr 10, 2020 at 10:56 pm
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:25 am

True, but GSV did reconfirm it a week ago, seems they are still interested in going forward.

Of course, appears Khazanah has since nixed GSV’s proposal due to the leverage being taken on....
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKBN21Q0CD

On a related note, MH / Khazanah is seeking direct government support for the airline:
https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/tra...ing-more-funds

Last edited by crackjack; Apr 11, 2020 at 2:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.