Wiki Posts
Search

Question BKK-KUL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Question BKK-KUL

I have booked a business class ticket on the Malaysian airlines web site from Bangkok to Bali in September. The first leg is on a Thai airways flight (BKK-KUL). Do I collect British airline miles on this one and do I check inn at the Malaysia desk or the TG desk?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
You may earn into BA if you're booked into an eligible fare class on MH.
Best to check the BA website for Avios earn. In any case, on a Oneworld Flight# you'll receive your BA Gold benefits (lounge, priority boarding etc..)

Check in at the desk of the airline operating the first sector.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by scubadave
I have booked a business class ticket on the Malaysian airlines web site from Bangkok to Bali in September. The first leg is on a Thai airways flight (BKK-KUL). Do I collect British airline miles on this one and do I check inn at the Malaysia desk or the TG desk?
You won't earn BA miles for the TG segment. As your first flight is on TG, you'll have to go to their check-in desks at BKK.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by SilverChris
You won't earn BA miles for the TG segment. As your first flight is on TG, you'll have to go to their check-in desks at BKK.
Yes, my thoughts too. Most OW FFP require you to be on a OW marketed and operated flight to earn miles. In this case it is marketed by a OW carrier (MH) but not operated by one. Having said that I am not an expert on the BAEC program.

Was the connection using an MH flight not possible?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Nope- the only exception to earning miles & tier points on a non-Oneworld carrier is Qantas coded flights on Emirates metal, IIRC.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:26 pm

This is what I found on the BA forum:
  • oneworld partner prefix, non-oneworld operated flight 

For example, an AA flight number on HA. You earn nothing. The rule is that both the flight number and the operating carrier have to be in oneworld to earn. Some have successfully had Avios and Tier Points awarded in this instance but that is the exception and very much not the rule.
So based on this rule, MH coded TG operated will not earn on BAEC?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the info , flight times of the combined TG/MH flights suited us best.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:19 pm

I've had BA miles/TPs from MH codeshares on other carriers before - but they have recently upgraded their reservation system, so this might not happen going forward. Just put your BA Exec booking and see what happens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.