Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crackjack
Here’s MH’s current official position as advised to the public:
https://askmh.malaysiaairlines.com/f...language=en_US

Originally Posted by AskMH, as of Mar 25, 2022
If I'm travelling multiple sectors, can I check-in my baggage to the final destination?
Yes, as long as you are holding a single PNR.

For flights on oneworld member airlines, Malaysia Airlines still allows passengers to check-through to a final destination with baggage even if the sectors are ticketed separately on separate bookings provided the travel begins with Malaysia Airlines. Please note that this may not be possible on your return journey if travel begins with another oneworld member airline that chooses to adhere to the new oneworld obligation. Certain oneworld and code-share flights allow our passengers to check-through while some do not. Please confirm the status of your ticket at the check-in counter.

For those who are wondering how it's done in Amadeus Altea, here is a video someone at MH took of their training session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbtQvMphGI

In this video they show how to add "inbound" flights and "outbound" flights to the check-in record.

Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Hi guys,

Got a more complex interline situation next month. Would love to get your responses on the situation I'm currently in. I'm currently OWE if that makes any difference to the situation.

Barring the new changes of only interlining to OW carriers and selected codeshare partners, I guess I'm expected to be denied any interline but from the above replies, the SIN agents do have a good record of tagging bags through to the final destination.

For the record, here is the rather complex itinerary on 3 PNRs:

1) SIN-KUL on MH code and metal
3 hours 15 minutes transit
2) KUL-SGN-ICN on VN code and metal
3 hours 25 minutes transit
3) ICN-NRT-PPT on TN code (KE metal for ICN-NRT)

Technically I would be able to pick up my bags at each start point of each unique PNR and check them in for the next journey but should there be a delay, there could possibly be a snowball effect in the misconnection of flights. Also, the transfer of terminals at ICN may be an issue as VN lands at T1 and KE departs from the new T2 which is a 20-minute bus journey landside. Having landed at ICN countless times, Immigration has often taken me almost an hour to get out in the morning so that may be something to consider too.

Should I fail in convincing the Dnata agent in SIN, I would pick the bags up at KUL and re-check them in for VN where I hope there would be no issue through checking to PPT since VN is able to interline with KE and TN.

From Expertflyer, these are the MH baggage interline partners:

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
AA AC AE AF AH AI AS AT AV AX AY A3 BA BD
BE BG BI BP BR BT BU BW B7 CA CI CU CW CX
CZ C3 DL DT D6 EI EK EP ET EW EY E4 E5 E8
FG FI FJ FM FT FX FY FZ GA GF GH GP G3 HA
HM HR HU HX HY IA IB IC IE IG IM IR IY JA
JD JJ JL JP JQ JU J2 KA KC KE KK KL KM KQ
KU KZ LA LG LH LI LO LP LR LX LY L6 MD ME
MF MH MI MK MS MU MX NF NG NH NU NX NZ N6
OK OM OS OU OV OZ PG PH PK PR PS PU PX PY
PZ QF QL QM QO QQ QR RA RB RO SA SB SC SD
SK SN SQ SU SV SW S7 TA TG TK TM TP TU T0
UA UB UL UN UU UY U0 VA VC VE VN VO VS VV
WB WF WY W5 XL XM XN X5 YO YR ZH ZW Z5 Z7
2A 3K 4M 8M 9W

and the VN baggage interline partners,

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
AA AC AE AF AH AR AY AZ A9 BA BD BL BM BT
B2 DL D6 EK ET EY FM FT FV GF GK GP HA HM
HU HX HY IB IZ JL JO JP JQ JU KC KE KL KQ
K6 LH LO LY MD MF MI MK MU NU NX NZ OU PG
PR PS QF QR QV RJ SA SB SK S7 TG TN UA UT
UX U6 VA VN VS WY W9 XF ZH 3K 7D 8M

Appreciate all the advice I get!

Last edited by Calcjr23; Oct 16, 2018 at 6:39 am
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Given your very convoluted routing, and rather speculate what MH would do.. I would, if I were you, only check from SIN to KUL. Pick up bags, and then recheck in from there to your final destination.. only because VN and KE are at least Skyteam partners. I really would not risk so many transfer points because you would ultimately end up with two tags and transfer points in SGN are not automated and the baggage handlers might be confused.

Even if MH would transfer your bags which I highly doubt, I simply wouldn’t because of the obvious reasons stated above. FYI, the inter line information you posted is relevant only if your itinerary is entirely on one ticket.

Note that MH would not interlink on separate non alliance or partner tickets.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Given your very convoluted routing, and rather speculate what MH would do.. I would, if I were you, only check from SIN to KUL. Pick up bags, and then recheck in from there to your final destination.. only because VN and KE are at least Skyteam partners. I really would not risk so many transfer points because you would ultimately end up with two tags and transfer points in SGN are not automated and the baggage handlers might be confused.

Even if MH would transfer your bags which I highly doubt, I simply wouldn’t because of the obvious reasons stated above. FYI, the inter line information you posted is relevant only if your itinerary is entirely on one ticket.

Note that MH would not interlink on separate non alliance or partner tickets.

That makes valid sense, thanks Guy Betsy.

Would do the re-check in at KUL then since that is fairly simple. Appreciate the advice.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:49 pm

I have two PNRs

KUL-SGN - MH
SGN-HND - JL

By checking through the baggages, will I also get all the boarding passes printed while checking in KUL?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Issac Ng
I have two PNRs

KUL-SGN - MH
SGN-HND - JL

By checking through the baggages, will I also get all the boarding passes printed while checking in KUL?
There shouldn't be an issue, but if not you can collect at the gate or transfer @ SGN.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Purchased a MH ticket KUL-SIN to connect to my BR flight SIN-TPE (separate ticket) next month. I have 2h15 min at SIN. Any chance that MH @ KUL will check my bag to TPE?
Just to follow up on this one.

MH @ KLIA had no issues checking my bag to final destination (TPE, BR216 SIN-TPE) despite the BR flight being on a separate ticket of course. I showed my onward BR ticket from SIN to TPE and the agent asked if I would like the bag to be checked to TPE ^

BP for SIN-TPE had to be picked up at SIN (transfer desk at T3, B gates) but of course I had no issues with that; just being grateful that I didn't have to clear immigration and customs at SIN for check-in with BR landside.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Just to follow up on this one.

MH @ KLIA had no issues checking my bag to final destination (TPE, BR216 SIN-TPE) despite the BR flight being on a separate ticket of course. I showed my onward BR ticket from SIN to TPE and the agent asked if I would like the bag to be checked to TPE ^

BP for SIN-TPE had to be picked up at SIN (transfer desk at T3, B gates) but of course I had no issues with that; just being grateful that I didn't have to clear immigration and customs at SIN for check-in with BR landside.
Glad it worked out for you. Some agents can even print onward BPs on separate tickets, but I wouldn't push it.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Glad it worked out for you. Some agents can even print onward BPs on separate tickets, but I wouldn't push it.
I was told to get my BP at SIN and I said "No problem". I would certainly not insist that MH issued my BP for a subsequent flight on a separate ticket. They may be able to do it, but it is not needed at all.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:18 am

MH @ KLIA had no issues checking my bag to final destination (TPE, BR216 SIN-TPE) despite the BR flight being on a separate ticket of course. I showed my onward BR ticket from SIN to TPE and the agent asked if I would like the bag to be checked to TPE ^.
Surprised MH did this for a non OW and non partner airline. Isn’t it the case that the airline that checks the luggage all the way through is responsible for loss or damage should it arise?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by carrotjuice

Surprised MH did this for a non OW and non partner airline. Isn’t it the case that the airline that checks the luggage all the way through is responsible for loss or damage should it arise?
No, per IATA convention, the delivering carrier is responsible.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
No, per IATA convention, the delivering carrier is responsible.
Please clarify what this means? If XXX-YYY is flown by airline A, then connecting to YYY-ZZZ with airline B, do you mean even if luggage is checked through from XXX to ZZZ by airline A, in the end still airline B is responsible?

If so, why do the majority of OW carriers don’t want to check through luggage to final destination?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It means that carrier B - as the last operating/delivering carrier - will have to deliver the luggage to the pax even if it clear that a previous carrier is at fault, including dealing with the pax claim for delivery of the checked luggage or compensation for delay/lost luggage. Internally, the bill will end up with the carrier that caused the situation (the delay, lost the bag etc) so if carrier A messed up checking the bag to final destination (wrong flight, wrong destination, failed to load the bag etc) this carrier will ultimately have to pay, but it doesn't change that carrier B is responsioble vis-a-vis the pax.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:13 pm

Appreciate the explanation.

So regardless of carrier A or B that checks through,
- carrier B will still have to deal with the claim process
- carrier A will still have to pay if it messes up
- likewise carrier B will still have to pay if it messes up

Still doesn’t make sense to me why majority of airlines, if they are part of an alliance like OW, still refuses to check through to final destination.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond

Still doesn’t make sense to me why majority of airlines, if they are part of an alliance like OW, still refuses to check through to final destination.
That is simple. Cost. The additional cost of the amount of time it takes an agent to process, the cost of transferring the bag, and the potential costs of mess ups. I really wish airlines (especially AA) would turn this into profit. I would GLADLY pay a 25 USD fee to have them check bags thru on separate oneworld tickets.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

So that they can automate the check-in process as much as possible (including through the use of self-tagging kiosks) and hire less experienced staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.