Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia Airlines A mess...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:37 am

Reading the Nikkei take:
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...nes-turnaround
“If selected, JAL will lend capital support and expertise to help the Southeast Asian airline turn profitable. Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad's administration will choose the sponsor by early next year.
The capital structure of Malaysia Airlines after a sponsor is chosen will be a subject of interest, though the government is expected to retain a stake.”

It appears the MY government is not specifically looking to sell a stake in MH, but is exploring other alternate options (potentially by way of loans, partnerships, etc.), which JL appears to be open to.

Given this perspective, QR’s published take and the current news are not necessarily in conflict... [EDIT] Actually, scratch that: The QR rep’s ‘text message’ stated they are not one of the four finalists. But, the naming of JL/QR wasn’t by Khazanah / government, but rather ‘The Edge’ quoting an ‘unnamed source’, so not an official / unofficial announcement.

That said, public positions are not always reflective of internal considerations -particularly not for private companies - and thing are always changing when negotiating.

Last edited by crackjack; Oct 29, 2019 at 6:12 am
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
I am very interested to know how would clash of culture between and MH and whoever the new owner is which doesnt end well for one of previous CEO. Like JL philoshophy vs MH way of doing thing

Saying this judging from the stereotype of typical GLC (Govt Linked Company)
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: Enrich
strategically, I would prefer JL to be the one who as the chiice, because it makes more sense since Malaysia has been a preferred working and living destination by Japanese. But I highly doubt that Japan work culture could works in Malaysia...

Just like how alibaba bring in China work culture into lazada and now it fails quite miserably.

QR on the other hand, I am not sure how they could help since they have their own fleet cover several destination in Malaysia and SEA already. But their work culture may more closer to Malaysia, in some way...
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
No foreign company wlll touch MH with a bargepole. It will be a Malaysian company which will restructure the tax payer monies into a nice personal gain for a few instead of creating wealth.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by dici
strategically, I would prefer JL to be the one who as the chiice, because it makes more sense since Malaysia has been a preferred working and living destination by Japanese. But I highly doubt that Japan work culture could works in Malaysia...

Just like how alibaba bring in China work culture into lazada and now it fails quite miserably.

QR on the other hand, I am not sure how they could help since they have their own fleet cover several destination in Malaysia and SEA already. But their work culture may more closer to Malaysia, in some way...
Japanese that I knew who posted to Malaysia tend to prefer how thing way done at slower pace vs in Japan. However, they may get fed up with issues that required immediate attention but were not taken seriously by the local staff

Another example is seeing how Etihad invest $ into Alitalia which very similar to how MH is run (mess) and what they got in the end. I not sure if Etihad still have stake in Alitalia or they have let go their share. Cant find much info on that or I may just be using the wrong key word

I not sure how the effect Geely putting their $ in Proton. It seems like it working out well for now.

Last edited by minizian; Oct 29, 2019 at 7:28 pm
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by minizian
Japanese that I knew who posted to Malaysia tend to prefer how thing way done at slower pace vs in Japan. However, they may get fed up with issues that required immediate attention but were not taken seriously by the local staff

Another example is seeing how Etihad invest $ into Alitalia which very similar to how MH is run (mess) and what they got in the end. I not sure if Etihad still have stake in Alitalia or they have let go their share. Cant find much info on that or I may just be using the wrong key word

I not sure how the effect Geely putting their $ in Proton. It seems like it working out well for now.
for Etihad case, I would use their investment in Jet Airways case as the primary failure case, although Alitalia also not doing any good. Just Etihad seems to be throwing their money on wrong airlines...

for Proton, I think we can just see over next 5, 6 years
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:47 pm

JL MH Jv Approved

I dont want to start a new post and this thread is closest to it:

JL MH JV is approved.

JL and MH antitrust exclusion annoucement
Malaysia Airlines and Japan Airlines Granted Approvals for Joint Business Agreement
As above but from MH side

Wonder what will happen next lol
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:17 pm

Hopefully they can boost the frequency or move one of the NRT flight to HND
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:26 pm

Hopefully they can boost the frequency or move one of the NRT flight to HND
Yes I would have also preferred HND slot too which ANA (but at not so ideal timing arriving at 10pm in hnd) & Air Asia X have upperhand over JL . KL town to KLIA is considered quite close if compared to NRT to Tokyo city lol

For sure not in 2020 as HND slot was filled out with other destination (Some slot were moved from NRT to HND together with rebooking mess along the way).

Afterall, I noticed MH like to use a380 previously for Tokyo route certain time of the year. Not sure if that the case with A380 moved to Amal? I supposed KUL-NRT route for MH is one of major money making route, likewise my chat with KUL JL staff also told it is always quite full all the time (with my own observation onboard). JL/MH timing to Tokyo is perfect to be honest for my need.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:44 pm

They still fly A380 to Tokyo and Sydney occasionally during the peak travel period. For example, they are switching one of A350 to A380 during the CNY period for KUL-NRT route.

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/...-new-year.html

it seems that the AMAL doing not bad, not sure about the flight load. Lately from flightradar, some days I saw at least 3 to 4 A380 flying there at the same time
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:55 pm

They still fly A380 to Tokyo and Sydney occasionally during the peak travel period. For example, they are switching one of A350 to A380 during the CNY period for KUL-NRT route.

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/...-new-year.html

it seems that the AMAL doing not bad, not sure about the flight load. Lately from flightradar, some days I saw at least 3 to 4 A380 flying there at the same time
Ah, is the cabin in A380 were still in the older config? I doubt they update it as it cost huge $ the cabin onto their most current version based on their current situation.

Amal, i supposed as long Tabung Haji and other operator paid the $ need to operate the flight regardless of load. I dont think it is a bad deal either.

That my understanding for charter ops where $ guaranteed unless charterer cancel the flight.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by minizian
Ah, is the cabin in A380 were still in the older config? I doubt they update it as it cost huge $ the cabin onto their most current version based on their current situation.

Amal, i supposed as long Tabung Haji and other operator paid the $ need to operate the flight regardless of load. I dont think it is a bad deal either.

That my understanding for charter ops where $ guaranteed unless charterer cancel the flight.
It is still the old config, you can see from the recent Thomas Cook rescue flight video clip here

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9128836.html
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:21 pm

Ah okay, thanks for the video.

It will be nice if they update the cabin to latest spec but $ is big issue.

Is it still relevant vs competitor offering since it is spec during delivery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.