Malaysia Airlines A mess...

Old Dec 21, 15, 1:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Malaysia Airlines A mess...

I was quite disappointed to learn that Malaysia Airlines Berhad (MAB), the new company that is now handling MH has now decided to close it's main ticket office in the heart of the city at at the main transportation artery in Kuala Lumpur for passengers in Kuala Lumpur at KL Sentral for Kuala Lumpur City on a Sunday's.

No announcements were made to Enrich members nor travellers about this.

I ended up having to spend RM70 for a two way journey to go all the way to KLIA to the only ticketing counter open in Kuala Lumpur at the departure level as they have now effectively closed their main ticketing office at KLIA which used to be at the arrival hall level and was open 7 days a week.

What I have noticed about the MH ticket counters at KLIA is there is no proper system in place except for a sign that say's take ticket from counter 9 but there is no staff at counter 9...but a staff at counter 10 who is attending to a passenger....and only 2 staff between counters 1-8 on the opposite side of the counters trying to attend to a crowd of passengers it seems desperately trying to:

-buy last minute business class upgrades
-change flights and tickets
-trying to buy tickets for flights
-trying to enquire about fare rules and flight cancellations due to bad weather

In my opinion, this is not only very disorganized but very messy and highly unproductive and it seems this was a last minute set up in the wake of the company closing their ticketing office at the arrival hall level without really making an effort to set up a proper ticketing counter system.

There are no seats for passengers to effectively sit down and wait their turn and be able to see the screen and number that is next in line...you have to stand in the middle of the walk way and wait in the departure area. And the wait can be long.

For a full fledged carrier and one world alliance member, this should not be happening.

The other issue I have after witnessing first hand what a big mess the economy check in is because of a lack of sufficient staff at the economy domestic counter desks' to cater for and handle the sheer volume of passengers who have used the kiosks to get their boarding passes but must now wait to drop their bags off before there is only 1 line in place and everyone needs to join this line before they are directed to empty counters as passengers clear each counter.

The wait line goes on about 60 meters-80 meters in lenght at times. When I was there there was a line of about 60 people waiting their turn.

Now, the business class check in counters for international/domestic flights for gold/silver passengers: there are generally now only 3-4 counters open. During shift changes, which happen during peak periods, the wait time to check in can be anywhere from 15-30 minutes, depending on how busy they are, how many bags passengers are trying to check in and how many passengers in a group as some passengers are not only checking in themselves in business but also other work mates/collegues who are not on business class but economy class as well at the same time which increases the wait time for other business class passengers.

Of course this does not probably happen all the time but..given the standards of Malaysia Airlines as a one world member, this sort of wait time is not good and the number of counters to cater for business class passengers is insufficient to cope with the volume of people wanting to get checked in within a reasonable time frame and to head to the lounge.

I know MH have reduced their work force, and are re-looking at things from a productivity point of view. Fair enough.

But to close your main ticket office on a Sunday?

To leave your main ticket hub and counter poorly set up and organized and lacking in man power to cope during the festive season?

I think MH are potentially actually losing revenue with these poorly thought out set up's and organization.

They are, in my humble opinion, throwing away business opportunities that exist from passengers who WANT to buy tickets or upgrade themselves but can't?

I saw, whilst waiting 3 passengers who were on the KUL-DELHI flight trying to get business class upgrades and were told to take a number and wait...and there was a pretty long wait as there were as i said, only 2 counters open between rows 1-8 and only 1 staff between 8-10 (if i am not mistaken) which is a mere 3 staff attending to passengers at 5.30pm, peak hour before christmas. 1 stayed to wait his turn. The other 2 got fed up and left so I assume they stuck to economy and went to check in.

Not good at MH, even under new management in my opinion as someone who is in the customer service line and hotel industry to see this happening.

If anything, whoever is handling these matters would have been sacked if he or she was in my line of work by now.

Last edited by wolf72; Dec 21, 15 at 2:26 am
Old Dec 21, 15, 3:52 am

An airline ticket office closed on a sunday and your surprised??
Come to Australia no ticket offices outside of the aiports are open all weekend, such is the norm in most countries.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 21, 15, 5:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firemansam View Post
An airline ticket office closed on a sunday and your surprised??
Come to Australia no ticket offices outside of the aiports are open all weekend, such is the norm in most countries.

It's the ONLY ticketing office for the airline in the city center at the main transportation hub. And no, it's not normal in Malaysia. Their other ticketing offices are open nationwide on Sunday's.
Old Dec 21, 15, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Things havent changed much at MH apart from the northward ticket prices. To be fair the KL sentral ticketing became a ghost town after March 2014 (geez its almost 2 years(!))- just by pure numbers it wouldnt make sense to maintain it. One thing they really need to do quick is to invest in quality call centers and IT solutions!
PS: Does this also mean that emirates has more ticketing offices than MH in KL?
Old Dec 21, 15, 7:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Is there any particular reason why you need to visit the ticketing office?

In all my years of travel I've only ever visited a ticketing office once -- to do a redemption for a lucky draw prize ...
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 22, 15, 2:09 am

On one hand, the SQ ticketing office in Singapore is open for 7.5hours on Sundays.

On the other hand, the SQ KL office is closed for the full Sunday....
Old Dec 22, 15, 4:43 am

Programs: FB Gold
An airline ticketing office in a city centre? Have we gone back to the 1970s?
Old Dec 22, 15, 7:08 am

Or just to South East Asia?

Last edited by crackjack; Dec 22, 15 at 7:14 am
Old Dec 23, 15, 5:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashkale View Post
Things havent changed much at MH apart from the northward ticket prices. To be fair the KL sentral ticketing became a ghost town after March 2014 (geez its almost 2 years(!))- just by pure numbers it wouldnt make sense to maintain it. One thing they really need to do quick is to invest in quality call centers and IT solutions!

Agreed on the call center staffing and improving the online reservation system.

I don't know if its because it's the holiday season but getting through to business class ticketing via the phone and even the enrich department means long wait times now...
Old Dec 23, 15, 5:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashkale View Post

I suspect emirates probably does...now at least.
Old Dec 23, 15, 5:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuigao View Post
Is there any particular reason w
hy you need to visit the ticketing office?

In all my years of travel I've only ever visited a ticketing office once -- to do a redemption for a lucky draw prize ...

How do you propose i change my ticket to the following morning without incurring the risk of not being able to get a seat or paying a higher fare if i can't get through their call center and the main ticket center is across the road from my hotel and has been open every sunday since it opened at KL Sentral and no notice they would be closed on Sunday's was made known to either it's enrich members or customers?
Old Dec 28, 15, 4:26 pm

KLIA ticket office is pretty hopeless too

Earlier this year I needed to get the date changed on my J- Class ticket (no fees or penalty involved).

After waiting, when it was my turn to be served, the woman at the desk simply refused to do anything and asked me to go to my travel agent (who is in the US) since the ticket was issued by them. However, airline rules clearly say that once travel has started, the airline takes control of the booking and they are the ones who have to make changes.

But this lazy woman at the MH counter simply did not want to do any work
Old Dec 29, 15, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by TinDrum View Post
Earlier this year I needed to get the date changed on my J- Class ticket (no fees or penalty involved).

After waiting, when it was my turn to be served, the woman at the desk simply refused to do anything and asked me to go to my travel agent (who is in the US) since the ticket was issued by them. However, airline rules clearly say that once travel has started, the airline takes control of the booking and they are the ones who have to make changes.

But this lazy woman at the MH counter simply did not want to do any work
Date change can easily be done by your travel agent even after travel has commenced. I do this all the time. A cheap Skype or Viber call should have gotten this sorted.

I'm surprised people still go physically to a ticketing office these days...
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 29, 15, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Date change can easily be done by your travel agent even after travel has commenced. I do this all the time. A cheap Skype or Viber call should have gotten this sorted.

Saturday, Sunday, usa public holidays..
Old Dec 29, 15, 2:13 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post

You must not live in Asia, or any other country where lots of people deal only in cash and don't have internet access.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: