Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 15 - 21 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #2 (15 - 21 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

This thread contains a very few posts after midnight UTC, for reasons of post continuity.

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 15 - 21 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by 747-444
Basically he is saying the US have helped them.
"Them" being Malaysia or the alleged air pirates?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
He confirmed MH370 did turn back and the transponder was deliberately turned off
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
"We can confirm" that MH370 turned west and flew over Peninsular Malaysia before turning northwest over the Andaman Sea.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: SQ, GA, AA
The PM is on the podium now. Nothing new is said, just thanking the numerous countries who helped invesigating and that they are "following each available lead and sometimes they lead to nowhere."

Also confirms the plane is flown away from Northern part of Malaysia. ALso said tht based on satellite communication. ACARS disabled before aircraft enters Malaysia. Aircraft transporder switch off in Malaysia/Vietnam border. Aircraft flew in peninsula Malaysia, then continue on Northwestern. Said it's consistent with actions of someone from inside the plane." He confirms that this plane is indeed the missing plane. Last sattelite communication with the plane was 8.11 am Malaysian time last Saturday.

Last edited by AA4013; Mar 15, 2014 at 12:43 am
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:29 am

PM said we cannot confirm the precise location of the flight at last contact last Saturday morning. Two possible corridors: Northern corridor (towards Europe) extending from Kazakhstan/Turkmenistan to Thailand and Southern corridor (towards Australia) from Indonesia to Southern Indian Ocean.

Last edited by AA4013; Mar 15, 2014 at 12:40 am
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
Last communication between the plane and satellite was at 8:15am (!!) on Saturday Malaysia time.

Malaysia is ending their operations in the South China Sea.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:31 am

All potential possibilites are still investigated despite reports being asked. Announce ending of rescue operation in South China Sea. Also ask numerous countries for help.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by ibreak4coffee
Would someone care to explain the (technical) rationale of why someone is now implying the jet may have ended up near Perth but all the searches continue to be far far north? ...

Missing Malaysian Jet Said Tracked to Ocean Off Australia
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ir-piracy.html
I'm typing as the Press conference starts so anything could happen...

Bloomberg did not say "near Perth", they said "Indian Ocean off Australia" and further detail says "about 1000 km from Perth" which is not really "near". (It is, of course, far south of every other option raised so far.)

My guess is that the mention of Australia and Perth is to help the geographically-challenged understand where the Indian Ocean is.
Originally Posted by lupine
Until Australia is (was) notified of this possibility, would they have had any reason at all to post-process potentially huge quantities of data captured through Jindalee? Do they necessarily even have the software capacity to do this?
Australians built the Jindalee system and operate it as a national surveillance tool. So yeah, we have the software capacity to process the data it produces, since that's kinda the point of operating the system in the first place.

As the purpose of national surveillance is to find unexpected things entering your airspace, it would be counter-productive for Australia to wait for the Americans to tell us to look for something before we start "post-processing" data.

(By 'we' I mean my fellow Australians; I know several people who've worked on Jindalee but I'm not directly involved.)

That said, I don't know whether Jindalee covers the area 1000 km west of Perth (and I wouldn't say if I did.)

Programs: United, Alaska, JetBlue
Originally Posted by AA4013
PM said we cannot confirm the precise location of the flight at last contact last Saturday morning. Two possible corridors: Northern corridor of Kazakthztan and Turkmenistan and Southern corridor from Indonesia to Southern Indian Ocean.
It seems unlikely that a 777 could be in that northern corridor without being picked up by radar, right? Or am I misunderstanding the meaning of "corridor" in this context?

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Baritone73
Last communication between the plane and satellite was at 8:15am (!!) on Saturday Malaysia time.

Malaysia is ending their operations in the South China Sea.
So, until the end of fuel?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
News Yahoo.HK reported that MH airline official liaision with Chinese families waiting in Beijing (in response to request by the families on any recording of the communications & thus the disclosure) that both civilian and military ATC controllers sat in the same room/facility monitoring traffic - when MH370 was being handed off to Vietnam's ATC. Original full text

Live PC ending - wow ! (And, the sun would be up before 08:15 - so the final hour in daylight)
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
That is an odd theory.

Longer MH flights departing KUL that fly wholly in darkness (on this date) include

PER
LHR
CDG
FRA
AMS
PER is shorter than PEK. LHR/CDG/FRA/AMS's flight routes are mostly over land and it would have been a lot easier to trace if the plane turned away somewhere on the flight path. This is just speculation at this point.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:34 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
0815 Malaysia time would be about when the aircraft runs out of fuel.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Kazakhstan to northern Thailand?!?!?! Whoa, that's a ginormous expanse.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by rhettdb2005
It seems unlikely that a 777 could be in that northern corridor without being picked up by radar, right? Or am I misunderstanding the meaning of "corridor" in this context?
The "corridor" was the term the PM used, whichever it means.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.