Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by DavidAL
And it appears that the Austrian and the Italian purchased their tickets consecutively since the ticket numbers are next in sequence. Crazy.
According to Google Translate, the ticket numbers are:

Ticket number: 784 - 099 *******
Ticket number: 784 - 100 *******

Not sure if the consecutive 4th to 6th digits in ticket number implies consecutive ticket numbers

Just realised that the original Chinese article shows ticket numbers as
票号:784-*******099 and
票号:784-*******100

So may be they are consecutive ticket numbers after all. although I would have thought that with check digits used in ticket numbers, airlines ticket numbers would not be consecutive even if two tickets issued one after the other.

Last edited by SingaporeDon; Mar 8, 2014 at 9:22 pm
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by leogeo
Originally Posted by cashking
The travel schedules of the Italian and Austrian passengers have been posted on a Chinese forum. Their overlapping connecting flight (KL898 PEK-AMS) and consecutive ticket numbers certainly add more suspicion to their roles in the MH370 incidient.

Italian passenger:

Mar 8, CZ748(MH370),00:35-6:30 KUL-PEK

Mar 8, CZ767(KL898),11:55-15:15 PEK-AMS

Mar 8, CZ7737 (KL1139),20:55-22:20 AMS-CPH,

Ticket Number:784-*******099

Austrian passenger:

Mar 8, CZ748(MH370),00:35-6:30 KUL-PEK

Mar 8, CZ767(KL898),11:55-15:15 PEK-AMS

Mar 8, CZ7689 (KL1775),21:05-22:25 AMS-FRA

Ticket Number:784-*******100

Source: http://bbs.feeyo.com/posts/555/topic-0011-5550079.html

wow, really seems suspicious now
Not necessarily.

Given they are on CZ codeshare it is expected the next flight is on CZ.
Given they are travelling on European passports it is not a surprise that the next flight is to Europe.
AMS seems to be the only connecting CZ flight to Europe that day.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by leogeo
wow, really seems suspicious now
I don't know. Actually it seems pretty striking to me that they would have consecutive ticket numbers but different destinations. The only way I can think of arranging that to happen is to purchase two tickets on the same record, and later split the PNR in order to change one of the destinations (but why bother doing that unless you're planning to get there?). I guess maybe if two people were sitting together and clicked "purchase" at the same time....? (CZ sells on the order of 1 ticket every second -- they have around 100 million passengers a year, but I don't know how that's counted.)
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Noted upstream, but more detail now....

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — An Austin, Texas, technology company says 20 of its employees were aboard the Malaysia Airlines plane that went missing over the South China Sea.

Jacey Zuniga, a spokeswoman for Freescale Semiconductor, says 12 Malaysian and 8 Chinese employees are "confirmed passengers." She says no American citizen Freescale employees were on the flight.
More: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/austi...-missing-plane
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
Does it? To me, seems like a couple of people looking to either claim asylum or illegally immigrate to the EU. It certainly isn't unheard of.
Exactly. That they choose AMS is not a surprise, although they'd probably do better with CDG as the Schengen POE if they weren't going to claim asylum/refugee status right away on arrival in Europe. Nice as Germany and Denmark are. Seems like they went for a deal and stuck to CZ to get to Europe.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by OnePassenger
Uugh I am baffled that they can find water on Mars, and not find a 777-200, however mangled, in 75 meters of water ...
There's a lot of ocean to search.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by :D!
I think your first question is highly unlikely.

There is nothing to suggest they wanted to bring down the plane as yet. The additional flights would have removed the requirement for a Chinese visa, if their intended destination was PEK - but leaving the airport with a 5 hour transit would also be suspicious to PRC immigration officials

If they wanted to travel to Europe, they would have needed to enter Schengen at AMS which presumably would be able to detect the stolen passports. Perhaps they had other flights scheduled out of PEK or AMS.

EDIT: asylum would also be a possibility as suggested by AlwaysFlyStar
AMS passport control doesn't check anywhere close to all EU passports against Interpol or SIS blacklists. Even as a US citizen, my passports are infrequently scanned for anything there by Schengen passport control on entry there. And I'm talking hundreds of personal entries into the Schengen Zone there in the past ten years.

Two had flights from AMS to other places in the EU: FRA and CPH.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Milestone
Yes, that fact is not likely given there were 7 tickets bought on CZ.

Things that make you go hmmmmm
The low number of passengers booked on CZ codeshare makes it more likely that any 2 (conditional on being booked on CZ codeshare) have consecutive ticket numbers. These are issued on CZ ticket stock.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Exactly. That they choose AMS is not a surprise, although they'd probably do better with CDG as the Schengen POE if they weren't going to claim asylum/refugee status right away on arrival in Europe. Nice as Germany and Denmark are. Seems like they went for a deal and stuck to CZ to get to Europe.
There was no CZ codeshare from PEK to CDG that morning.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
According to Google Translate, the ticket numbers are:

Ticket number: 784 - 099 *******
Ticket number: 784 - 100 *******

Not sure if the consecutive 4th to 6th digits in ticket number implies consecutive ticket numbers
It doesn't, absent the last one or two digits in the ticket number being consecutive too.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The low number of passengers booked on CZ codeshare makes it more likely that any 2 (conditional on being booked on CZ codeshare) have consecutive ticket numbers.
Huh? Consecutive ticket numbers will happen if the tickets are bought consecutively across the entire airline's ticket sales.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
We are drifting into speculation territory again. Better to stay on topic.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
CNN headline

"Transportation minister: Malaysia has contacted counterterrorism organizations about possible passport issues related to Flight 370."
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA,CO, AS
Originally Posted by nainas28
This Austin firm had 20 people on the plane. So sad.

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/arti...ne-5300581.php
How horrible and if it's a small company could be enough to cripple them.
In my corporate time we had rules about that sort of thing when travelling.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by palefire
Huh? Consecutive ticket numbers will happen if the tickets are bought consecutively across the entire airline's ticket sales.
Kiwi Flyer is correct. Codeshare tickets are more likely to be queued for manual ticketing or batch auto-ticketing and done back-to-back by a liason desk that focuses on a certain codeshare partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.