Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Amex Gold
unless they find the pilot, this investigation may take years to conclude as can be seen with other similar incidents

This is everyones nightmare. Especially seeing as in this modern day with technology, and and excellent airline like malaysian airlines, that something like this could even possibly happen
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
All I am saying is that it is unsettling that someone used the stolen passport of another person to get on the plane and that and the fact that the plane abruptly ended comms is unsettling. I make no other implications or conclusions.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
<redacted>

It will be years before we know what happened, and we may never know definitively what happened. See, e.g., the AF447 investigation and the more than 3 year span between the date of the accident and the issuance of the final report. http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2009/f-cp...p090601.en.pdf

Originally Posted by us2
Under the ICAO treaty, the poster is quite correct. The accident investigation body of the nation of the aircraft manufacturer is a party to the investigation. Boeing will be brought in to assist the NTSB.
I would also be unsurprised to see the U.S. Navy involved in the investigation. There are only a handful of countries who have the technical resources and experience necessary to do the necessary search for black boxes and other debris at significant depth, and it is likely that the US has some of those resources either prepositioned relatively close to the South China Sea or can be flown to the area within a day.

Greg

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 8, 2014 at 9:12 am Reason: redacted previously deleted post content
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
Well, they'll need the black box.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Considering the shallow depths of the GoT I anticipate recovery of the wreckage won't be too tedious once located.

Originally Posted by cruisr
I believe the 777 came into service in 1995 so it's been flying well for 9 years. I personally love this bird.
You left out a digit. 19 is clearly what you intended.

I've probably had more flights and miles on the 777 than any other a/c.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by greg99
I would also be unsurprised to see the U.S. Navy involved in the investigation. There are only a handful of countries who have the technical resources and experience necessary to do the necessary search for black boxes and other debris at significant depth, and it is likely that the US has some of those resources either prepositioned relatively close to the South China Sea or can be flown to the area within a day.

Greg
The average depth of Gulf of Thailand is only about 50m - divers should be able to reach the body.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Arabmoney
unless they find the pilot, this investigation may take years to conclude as can be seen with other similar incidents
I'm pretty sure he went down with the plane.

Originally Posted by greg99

Greg
According to wikipedia the GoT has a mean depth of 45m and max depth of 80m. This would strike me as not being too technically difficult but I am purely speculating.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Sky News just reported that an Italian individual, Luigi Maraldi, who was supposed to be on this flight, is alive and well in Thailand on account of a false passport. Implying someone else on board may have used his passport. Sounds like silly sensationalist media to me.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Most of us have flown on the 777s and have future plans to fly. I think this is hitting close to home for a lot of us. Let's try not to jump to conclusions until we have a few facts. I unfortunately am assuming the worse, but am holding out for survivors. Please let it be so!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by AirD0c
Sky News just reported that an Italian individual, Luigi Maraldi, who was supposed to be on this flight, is alive and well in Thailand on account of a false passport. Implying someone else on board may have used his passport. Sounds like silly sensationalist media to me.
No, this has been confirmed. He had his passport stolen last year. Obviously someone was on the plane using his identity. Doesn't automatically mean terrorism, though. While morally wrong and technically illegal, I guess people use fake documents all the time for simply peaceful reasons, like wanting to visit friends and family in another country while their government refuses to give them a passport because of a previous conviction, for example.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
Just got word that 2 close colleagues of my brother in law have been on that plane.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by Canuck2012
How can people do that in the age of electronic passports with security chips?
No idea, but I don't think this is unfrequent, as someone pointed.
Stolen passports is one of the business of criminal organizations, hence the person onboard might have been not the direct thief.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by dsquared37
According to wikipedia the GoT has a mean depth of 45m and max depth of 80m. This would strike me as not being too technically difficult but I am purely speculating.
True and fair enough, but they're going to want to get every single piece of the debris, if they can, which will be a significant effort.

Plus, being crass, although the Vietnam and Malaysian governments will undoubtedly do everything they can to facilitate the investigation, if they can figure out a way for the US government to help carry some of the significant costs and other burdens of the recovery efforts, I suspect they would welcome it.

Most important, I think is that Boeing is going to want the Navy's help, just like they want the NTSB to be in the process as deep as possible to drive a prompt and fair investigation.

Greg
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Plissken
Just got word that 2 close colleagues of my brother in law have been on that plane.
I hope the best for your BIL friends.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by elkhornne
I hope the best for your BIL friends.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.