Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:49 am

India’s search team has been asked to explore “very specific coordinates in the Andaman Sea,” said Syed Akbaruddin, a spokesman for the Indian foreign ministry, without elaborating on those coordinates.

*INDIA NAVY SEARCHES AREA IN S. ANDAMAN SEA FOR FLIGHT 370 BN 16:44
*INDIA NAVY SAYS SEARCH AREA EQUAL TO 35,000 SQ. KILOMETERS BN 16:45
*INDIA SAYS SEARCH AREA N. EDGE 270 NAUT. MILES FROM PORT BLAIR BN 16:47
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by ricvaflyer
Dont think the USG screwed up times. Three different major media outlets now quoting unnamed high level sources means to me, has a pretty good idea where the plane went down and will find it. I bet it's located within two days (one day to get there, one day to locate).
Do they have long range radar on Diego Garcia? Australia's Jindalee radar claims 3000km range.

Last edited by AeroWesty; Mar 16, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
Originally Posted by BNE2?
However, my understanding is (and if someone knows better, please feel free to correct me), I believe there are protocols that kick in once an official SAR is launched and one of those protocols would force RR and Boeing to not make such information publicly available and that it must be provided to ICAO in the first instance. (perhaps this means they have to report to ICAO before the report to SAR, I really don't know)
If what you are saying is correct, why then did RR make a statement a few days back about the initial 2 bursts of information they received (at takeoff & on reaching cruise), that both showed no indication of any problems. If protocol dictates that some information is kept confidential, then wouldn't that apply to all of it?

Also with regards to Boeing, would they still be receiving/collecting data if the operator (MAS in this case) chooses not to utilize their Aircraft Health Management service?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cj6102
India’s search team has been asked to explore “very specific coordinates in the Andaman Sea,” said Syed Akbaruddin, a spokesman for the Indian foreign ministry, without elaborating on those coordinates.

You need to remember that the search needs to be coordinated and that you can't just ask the India Navy to go search the Andaman Sea. You give each ship / country a "block" to search.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MyckoL
1. If the plane was flying at low altitude, it would not depressurize. Depressurization happens when there is a difference in pressure.

2. Ground crew will not put in extra fuel than specified because it costs them money, increase weight of the aircraft unnecessarily, and they will have to drop the fuel before they land anyway.

With max fuel and no cargo, 777 ERs can fly up to 16 hours - capable of reaching the US
1- it's been a long time since I was in Boeing Flight Test (on the 767), but I believe the pressurization system is typically set to maintain a cabin altitude of ~8000 feet

2- costs money - yes; increases weight - yes; have to dump excess before landing - only in the event of being over maximum landing weight, which wouldn't likely occur unless a heavily loaded aircraft (e.g., nearly full passenger and cargo load and fueled for a very long flight) experienced an emergency shortly after takeoff

3- interesting, and probably true, but irrelevant; per numerous early posts upthread, MH370 was carrying approx 7.5 hours of fuel for its scheduled flight of approx 6 hours

Well I'm hoping that finally all the countries have put their big boy pants on and are ready to do this right. Because before this, the search area was basically anywhere water is, so any specifics at this point is good.

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by MANman
Do they have long range radar on Diego Garcia? Australia's Jindalee radar claims 3000km range.
The US has lots of stuff they can use if they want. Sounds like they were standing down in this investigation out of respect for other countries / Malaysia but they finally decided to end it when it was clear Malaysia was never going to find anything.

It's no surprise that every major media outlet in the US is now reporting stuff. That sort of coordinated leak doesn't just happen. And that the Indian government has been given specific coordinates to search.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767

3- interesting, and probably true, but irrelevant; per numerous early posts upthread, MH370 was carrying approx 7.5 hours of fuel for its scheduled flight of approx 6 hours
General rule is that you carry enough fuel to get to the primary destination, then divert to an alternate plus have 45 minutes of reserve fuel. So the 7.5 hours of fuel for a scheduled 6 hour flight is probably about right.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: Flying and sleeping

Without a direction, it's tough to tell where that is, but here's a 270 NM radius from Port Blair:
Link
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: Amex Gold
someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

so if it crashed anywhere besides the sea, they should be able to locate the blackbox right?

and also can someone confirm why it took them so long to report the plane disappearing?

Thank you
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by NandoDave
In the very article you quote, the Malaysian officials dismiss the WSJ article as yet another false report... so I would say that the WSJ, along with a whole bank of the press are acting in the way andrewwm describes?
I know which source is more credible ... definitely not government officials which have apparently been suppressing relevant info for some time.

To me the big unanswered question is when was the RR engine data conveyed to the government? And after that, why wasn't the search area immediately shifted to Indian ocean or other more logical areas.

Hopefully when all is said and done there will be an international lookback on how the situation was handled and better preparations will be made for coordinating S&R for future incidents. This one has been FUBAR from inception.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold & Others
Originally Posted by bugsy
If what you are saying is correct, why then did RR make a statement a few days back about the initial 2 bursts of information they received (at takeoff & on reaching cruise), that both showed no indication of any problems. If protocol dictates that some information is kept confidential, then wouldn't that apply to all of it?

Also with regards to Boeing, would they still be receiving/collecting data if the operator (MAS in this case) chooses not to utilize their Aircraft Health Management service?
Perhaps ICAO had already approved that info for release?
In regards the AHM Service, I have no idea.
As i say, i really don't know and hope someone with more understanding of ICAO's role can chime in.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Arabmoney
someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

so if it crashed anywhere besides the sea, they should be able to locate the blackbox right?

and also can someone confirm why it took them so long to report the plane disappearing?

Thank you
Well yes. Theoretically they should be able to find the black box under any conditions. Although I would think it's easier to find the black box on land rather than some underwater trench.

Who knows why it took so long. Could be that Malaysian monitoring stations are not manned 24/7.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:07 am

*satellites pick up ping from mh370 after lost contact: Reuters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.