Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia Airlines refund issue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles, Enrich, OnePass, JAL Mileage Bank, TrueBlue
Malaysia Airlines refund issue

On July 7, 2010, I helped a friend to purchase a return ticket from Taipei to Kuala Lumpur using my credit card. On the departure date, July 25, 2010, I was with my friend at the check in line waiting to show the agent my credit card as a proof of purchase. The agent did not request for anything. According to the disclaimer stated on the e-ticket :"For security reasons, the following are required upon check-in or ticket reissuance,
failure to produce these documents may result in denied boarding:
1. Photocopy or actual credit card used for the online purchase(s).
2. Photocopy or original photo ID of the credit card holder." It clearly states that UPON check in, if requested, that I should show my credit card.
When my friend landed in Kuala Lumpur, she was called to the MAS counter and asked for a photocopy of my credit card AFTER she landed at her destination. She did not have a photocopy of my credit card and was forced to pay for a new return ticket which costs RM1095.
The next day, a MAS agent contacted her and asked her to send a copy of my credit card to them so they can refund her the new ticket she paid for. So I sent them a copy of my credit card and according to them, a refund has been initiated on the 13th of Aug 2010. I was also informed that it would take a maximum of 3 months for the refund to be reverted back to my friend's credit card. It's been 4 months now and my friend has not received a cent from Malaysian airline. I've been in contact with the agent who is involved in this matter and all he could tell me was that a refund has been processed on the 13th of Aug and now he is asking me to provide him with my friend's credit card number so he could check to make sure that they processed the refund back to the right credit card.
Has anyone ever encountered a similar situation? Does it usually take SO long to get a refund back from MAS?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Welcome to FlyerTalk , cws9094.

Sorry about the MH issues... but your friend should have stood her ground and stated that you were there upon check in and Mh didn't want to see the cc.

It is not up to your friend's responsibility to show this..

But best for you to contact Malaysia Airlines here on FlyerTalk as they are a team of MH employees doing extra for their airline here. Or wait for them to contact you in due course. They are actually quite proactive here on FT!

On another note, it would have been easier had you just purchased your friend's ticket through a travel agency! No cc to show required.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Guy Betsy. My friend freaked out after being summoned by the agents. Can't blame her for that. By the way, how can I get in touch with MH crew on FlyerTalk? Is there a way to find them or just wait for them to read my post?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Sorry to hear about your mishap with MH.

Originally Posted by cws9094
By the way, how can I get in touch with MH crew on FlyerTalk? Is there a way to find them or just wait for them to read my post?
Don't know if there are MH staff known/appear as staff on FT, or are active here at all.
Maybe send them a link to this thread and say this is a VERY popular forum, and we can advice against flying with MH when somebody asks about their service. BUT we can advise flying with MH if they show some goodwill and service by solving this case quickly and professional.

Good luck with solving this unfortunate occurance.

Ralph
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:33 am
Original Poster

called the bank today, and was told that they never received any refund request from MH on the 13th of Aug. MH has been lying to my face for the past 4 months... wth...
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: Priority Club Gold, A-Club Platinum, Enrich, Skywards
From what I have read in your post, you had use your credit card to purchase a ticket from Taipei to Kuala Lumpur for your friend and you have requested MH to credit the reimbursement of the second air ticket to your friend's credit card instead of yours. If I am not wrong, the airline can only credit back to the original credit card which was charged originally.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ThomasGee
From what I have read in your post, you had use your credit card to purchase a ticket from Taipei to Kuala Lumpur for your friend and you have requested MH to credit the reimbursement of the second air ticket to your friend's credit card instead of yours. If I am not wrong, the airline can only credit back to the original credit card which was charged originally.
I don't think so, TS is talking about calling HIS bank, so I assume it's HIS CC.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

My friend used the ticket I bought with my CC to board the plane from Taipei to Kuala Lumpur. When she landed in Kuala Lumpur, she was asked to pay for a NEW ticket, using her CC. MH has agreed to refund her the new ticket which she paid for using her CC, not the one I purchased. My friend called her bank today and found out nothing has been done yet.
Sorry for the confusion.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

contacted MH again this morning, found out they sent the refund request under a wrong card holder name, wrong number, wrong amount...
Old Dec 16, 2010, 4:22 pm

contacted MH again this morning, found out they sent the refund request under a wrong card holder name, wrong number, wrong amount...
My previous refund experience with MH had been as frustating. Required numerous prolonged phone calls, 2 personal visits to the KL Sentral ticketing office and finally a threat to see the Duty Manager, before refund was correctly processed and money given back... after a lapse of about 6 weeks. And I was really persistent, 'harassing' them all the time to get it done promptly!

I can imagine the tremendous amount of difficulties involved if your not in KL and the case was more complicated such as yours. MH simply has too much of administrative red tapes for its office to function adequately in matters related to refund.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to get a copy of the credit slip that they sent to the bank so I can deal with the CC company DIRECTLY instead of having to go through MH. I've lost all my confidence and trust with MH and don't even know if I'll ever get the refund back for my friend. Fingers crossed...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The error here is that your friend was bullied into getting a new ticket even though she had travelled halfway already. The onus was to get the approval at the initial point of travel.. not halfway. And that your friend should have contacted you first before buying a new ticket.

Now its just a wild goose chase.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:21 am

Programs: Accor Plat,SGP plat, Hyatt Dia, PC Plat, QF Plat, SG TPP, TG Gold
That sounds very much like the Malaysian Airlines most of us gave up on years ago...........

Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a group of individuals under the name Malaysia Airlines here on FlyerTalk.

Send them a PM explaining your situation. Don't be rude about it as they are volunteering independently from their company in trying to resolve issues and help people. And they have done so with success in the past.

I haven't heard from them much in the past few months but like I said, as they are volunteering here, they might not be able to get back to you.

Good luck!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

after constant calling and emailing, they finally get the refund processed CORRECTLY, and my friend finally received the refund few days ago... Malaysia airline is officially in my no flying list..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.