Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's good in Kuala Lumpur these days?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

What's good in Kuala Lumpur these days?

The search gave a 18 month old thread as the most recent so here goes.

Returning to KL for the first time in 4 years I am shocked to learn that Carcosa Seri Negara has closed its doors. I'm happy to have stayed there the last time around but now I must look for other options. Are there any charming local gems beside the standard MO/RC/SL that are carrying the torch these days?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
The last posts/reviews in this thread are from Dec 2015:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-lumpur-6.html
That said the SL and MO seem to continue to be the choices.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
St. Regis just opened in KL a few months ago. Could be worth checking out.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by shuigao
St. Regis just opened in KL a few months ago. Could be worth checking out.
Definitely. I went to the sister property in Langkawi and it was excellent. Same owner and I can say it should be far better than the StR Singapore. Chemical-free spa if that matters to you.

FS is building a huge project right now with residences and shops, etc., but it could be a while before it opens. It is next to the St. Regis and the Intercontinental which is also very nice.

As for the MO, make sure you book a club suite for the best experience. A low level room might not be that special. The MO is at KLCC if that location matters to you.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:11 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by stimpy
Definitely. I went to the sister property in Langkawi and it was excellent. Same owner and I can say it should be far better than the StR Singapore. Chemical-free spa if that matters to you.

FS is building a huge project right now with residences and shops, etc., but it could be a while before it opens. It is next to the St. Regis and the Intercontinental which is also very nice.

As for the MO, make sure you book a club suite for the best experience. A low level room might not be that special. The MO is at KLCC if that location matters to you.
I realize this is somewhat off-topic, but I would really appreciate if you could share how StR Langkawi stacks up against competition, in your experience? (especially FS, in case you have been there)
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 0bsidian
I realize this is somewhat off-topic, but I would really appreciate if you could share how StR Langkawi stacks up against competition, in your experience? (especially FS, in case you have been there)
My mini-review is in post #63 of the master thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...-2016-a-2.html

Sorry but this was my first visit to Langkawi so I don't know about the FS there. But I can say that having a private pool suite is a really nice thing in such a tropical setting.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:40 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Regarding MO, room renovations should now be in full swing. Club Rooms and Suites to be completed end of December. I really hope they're making significant (i.e. not just cosmetic) changes to the rooms to bring them up to a 21st century standard...
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:46 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Most recently we enjoyed our stays incl. at the Grand Hyatt, the Mandarin Oriental and the Villa Samadhi in Kuala Lumpur. It's a beautiful city to visit and new hotels have opened incl. St. Regis with more new openings ahead incl. Four Seasons in Kuala Lumpur.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Mandarin Oriental for KL right now, esp. club rooms, with Shangri-La as a close second.

St. Regis may end up being the best but it's not running at 100%, in my opinion. Will give it another month or two. Hard product is amazing and soft product is catching up

As for Langkawi, sending quite a few clients and the feedback is surprisingly amazing (surprising only in that it's so new). Great opening promos too, with some AI deals to boot.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

Originally Posted by uggboy
Most recently we enjoyed our stays incl. at the Grand Hyatt, the Mandarin Oriental and the Villa Samadhi in Kuala Lumpur. [/B]^
I've heard some interesting tales about Villa Samadhi. The hard product is supposedly a tad rustic but the crew very genuine. Anything you can echo?

Last edited by SocialAdept; Aug 30, 2016 at 6:02 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Thanks for all the replies.

I've heard some interesting tales about Villa Samadhi. The hard product i supposedly a tad rustic but the crew very genuine. Anything you can echo?
Indeed, the Villa Samadhi is one of a kind in Kuala Lumpur, especially with the Carcosa Seri Negara now closed [we hope that this gem eventually will reopen in the future]. In terms of physical plant, the Villa Samadhi feels like a tropical/rustic private mansion set in a residential/embassy belt of this magnificent city. Service was as expected, warm, friendly, but also swift and spot on. We loved to stay with them and it's a memorable alternative to the larger chain offerings in Kuala Lumpur, but we would also recommend the Mandarin Oriental and the Grand Hyatt KL. [In case you might want to split up your stays between different locations in the city].

You might read our review on FT incl. images from our Nov. 2013 stay which we still fondly remember today. It's different and you might give it a try:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-malaysia.html

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

shr.my is another ex-GHM (Carcosa Seri Negara is ex-GHM and actually was under aman as well)

st regis langkawi does not have beach villas
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
st regis langkawi does not have beach villas
Well it has overwater villas that are at the beach. And at low tide, the closest villa is actually an over beach villa.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
shr.my is another ex-GHM (Carcosa Seri Negara is ex-GHM and actually was under aman as well)
The Club at Saujana looks tempting. A member of SLH. Both of the hotels sport still the design in many ways which remember us of GHM.

We'd afternoon tea at the Carcosa Seri Negara in Nov. 2013 and enjoyed the food/atmosphere/setting and piano music.

I hope that they might open again in the future, it's a gem IMHO.

I believe that all these hotels are owned by the Malaysian Government.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

I just learned that the RC was recently renovated, anyone that has been that would be tipped over by a boost in hard product?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.