Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What's good in Kuala Lumpur these days?

What's good in Kuala Lumpur these days?

Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:50 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Posts: 884
This is my list (in no particular order):

Ritz-Carlton
InterContinental
Mandarin Oriental
Le Meridien
Shangri-La

All of which I have stayed at and would highly recommend. I know several people who have stayed at the new St. Regis and they have all rated it very highly. I'm definitely giving it a go when I next head up there.
LyingFlat is offline  
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:04 am
  #32  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 34,339
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
My plans for KL got turned on their head just recently - becoming the father of a little girl this year means that I can't enter most Asian hotel lounges period. Clumsy of me to forget that.

So I'd have to ask again if any of the regular recommendations are OUT if the hotel's lounge is removed from the equation.
I was at the IC earlier this year with a kid. No kids allowed in the Club during happy hour. So they setup a table for us in the lobby bar and brought down all the club food and served club drinks. It was perfect! I highly recommend the IC, however I have elite status with IC so that helps. If you prefer another hotel, just call the Club manager at that hotel and ask if they will give you the same treatment as the IC delivers to its Club guests with children.
stimpy is offline  
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:32 am
  #33  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: GOT
Posts: 1,161
Originally Posted by stimpy
I was at the IC earlier this year with a kid. No kids allowed in the Club during happy hour. So they setup a table for us in the lobby bar and brought down all the club food and served club drinks. It was perfect! I highly recommend the IC, however I have elite status with IC so that helps. If you prefer another hotel, just call the Club manager at that hotel and ask if they will give you the same treatment as the IC delivers to its Club guests with children.
I don't hold any status worth mention any longer so I was just going for paid Club level (as is commonly available in Asia). With the longue not being accessible however there's little point to that and we'll just spring for the regular (public) breakfast at whatever hotel we end up at.

That's some excellent customer attention from the IC though.
SocialAdept is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:20 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: everywhere
Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist , Bonvoy Titanium United Silver AA Platinum, AS Gold 75K
Posts: 97
I've stayed at the:
JW Marriott
Westin
Pullman
Mandarin Oriental
and Hyatt

I use to love love the JW Marriott because of the impeccable service but their hotel is a bit dated and the beds are hard (I'm like the Princess & the Pea) I hate a hard bed, I have stayed at this hotel with 3 mattress toppers for over 2months total and if you don't mind a hard bed and shoddy internet the service is great and the location is unbeatable

The Westin is more of a modern hotel, the service is just okay and there isn't really a "Wow" factor. The beds are comfy and the hotel is located in a great location. Its an okay hotel not bad put not amazing by any stretch.

The Pullman is crapy the rooms are border line gross but its cheap and the location is pretty good.

The Mandarin Oriental is Fabulous! The service is impeccable, the rooms could use a remodel but the common areas can't be beat! The location and the views of the twin towers is amazing! I highly recommend the Mandarin Oriental!

The Hyatt however is my favorite hotel hands down, the hotel is modern and the service is impeccable! The lounge is awesome and serves basically a full meal over the 6-8pm I was so impressed with my last stay that I cancelled my reservation at the Mandarin Oriental to stay an additional 2 weeks at the Hyatt. I can't really say enough about the Hyatt its just a really good hotel all around!
applejax is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:29 am
  #35  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: GOT
Posts: 1,161
Originally Posted by applejax
I've stayed at the:
JW Marriott
I use to love love the JW Marriott because of the impeccable service but their hotel is a bit dated and the beds are hard (I'm like the Princess & the Pea) I hate a hard bed, I have stayed at this hotel with 3 mattress toppers for over 2months total and if you don't mind a hard bed and shoddy internet the service is great and the location is unbeatable

I don't consider the JWM Marriott luxury (though a fully functioning Business hotel with a great restaurant in Shook). In the interest of accuracy however they are currently renovating the hotel floor-by-floor.
SocialAdept is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:31 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: everywhere
Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist , Bonvoy Titanium United Silver AA Platinum, AS Gold 75K
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I don't consider the JWM Marriott luxury (though a fully functioning Business hotel with a great restaurant in Shook). In the interest of accuracy however they are currently renovating the hotel floor-by-floor.
Really? Well then the Pullman and the Westin are definitely not "luxury" to your standards. The JW Marriott is the host to the Malaysian royal family all the time. I was actually lucky enough to have tea with the Queen and some of her family a few years back at the JW. I would consider it luxury based on service and the fact its 5 star. If they got new beds I would happily return. Just out of curiosity what do you consider "luxury"?
applejax is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:37 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: everywhere
Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist , Bonvoy Titanium United Silver AA Platinum, AS Gold 75K
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I don't hold any status worth mention any longer so I was just going for paid Club level (as is commonly available in Asia). With the longue not being accessible however there's little point to that and we'll just spring for the regular (public) breakfast at whatever hotel we end up at.

That's some excellent customer attention from the IC though.
Spire Elite status doesn't get you anything, basically just more points and a bunch of lies about how your allocated room with extra towels is an upgrade. So either way if you want lounge access and an upgraded room you would have to pay for it I do however like IHG brands because their CS is really good and they have plenty of hotels to choose from, I just wish they would give their loyal customers something good like the other major brands, lounge access would be a good start
applejax is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:42 pm
  #38  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 34,339
I too consider JW, Pullman, Westin and Hyatt to be upscale business hotels rather than luxury. But such a distinction is a global label and in different markets there can be a huge difference in quality. In KL these days those brands generally offer a pretty luxurious hotel in comparison to US cities for instance. And in Hong Kong, they are a league above KL in overall quality.

My experience at the IC in KL in a huge suite with club access was a rather luxurious experience. But I would put a Club suite at the MO a good step above. St. Regis too.
stimpy is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:45 pm
  #39  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 34,339
Originally Posted by applejax
Spire Elite status doesn't get you anything, basically just more points and a bunch of lies about how your allocated room with extra towels is an upgrade. So either way if you want lounge access and an upgraded room you would have to pay for it I do however like IHG brands because their CS is really good and they have plenty of hotels to choose from, I just wish they would give their loyal customers something good like the other major brands, lounge access would be a good start
Spire is not the Intercontinental elite program. It is just loosely associated. IC's use the Ambassador program and Royal Ambassador status is the best in the entire hotel industry. So no, you don't have to pay for a suite and club. You automatically get upgraded to that.
stimpy is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:58 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: everywhere
Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist , Bonvoy Titanium United Silver AA Platinum, AS Gold 75K
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by stimpy
I too consider JW, Pullman, Westin and Hyatt to be upscale business hotels rather than luxury. But such a distinction is a global label and in different markets there can be a huge difference in quality. In KL these days those brands generally offer a pretty luxurious hotel in comparison to US cities for instance. And in Hong Kong, they are a league above KL in overall quality.

My experience at the IC in KL in a huge suite with club access was a rather luxurious experience. But I would put a Club suite at the MO a good step above. St. Regis too.
Yes I agree, each market is different. I guess thats why I love KL so much, I feel you get great value and a good variety of high end hotels at very affordable prices. I actually finished my Marriott Platinum and my Hyatt Diamond status there since it was so affordable and Marriott, Westin & Hyatt include lounge access and extensive breakfast for their premium members. When I stayed at the JW I was upgraded to a 2 bed 2 bath very luxurious penthouse suite. I may have a different prospective since I know their regular room isn't really spectacular. I haven't attempted the IC but maybe I should consider it the next time I visit. Anyway I could talk KL all day......
applejax is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:36 pm
  #41  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: GOT
Posts: 1,161
Originally Posted by applejax
Really? Well then the Pullman and the Westin are definitely not "luxury" to your standards. The JW Marriott is the host to the Malaysian royal family all the time. I was actually lucky enough to have tea with the Queen and some of her family a few years back at the JW. I would consider it luxury based on service and the fact its 5 star. If they got new beds I would happily return. Just out of curiosity what do you consider "luxury"?
I avoid debating my personal definition of luxury. Many new posters tend to stumble into this forum and become confused or even angered when informed that most regulars here do not consider X, Y or Z luxury. This is not meant as snobbery it is a standard to discern true luxury from what is "merely" 5 star in order to be informative.

Imperfect references are MO, Four Seasons, Aman resorts. As a Marriott regular for business I enjoy the JWM brand, but it has never happened that anyone in a JWM has learned my name, what paper I read in the morning, how I want my eggs after 1 nights stay or getting me a Sferra bath robe for my stay because I casually mentioned to someone in the spa that their towels are my favorite.
SocialAdept is offline  
Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:23 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: everywhere
Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist , Bonvoy Titanium United Silver AA Platinum, AS Gold 75K
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I avoid debating my personal definition of luxury. Many new posters tend to stumble into this forum and become confused or even angered when informed that most regulars here do not consider X, Y or Z luxury. This is not meant as snobbery it is a standard to discern true luxury from what is "merely" 5 star in order to be informative.

I presume "new posters" don't get "angered" because of your quality bar, I lean more towards the condescending way you interact with said "new posters". but since you did decided to humor me with your definition I'm surprised that you say

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
it has never happened that anyone in a JWM has learned my name.
That is really strange as everyone at JMW from upper management, concierge, front desk, doormen and even housekeeping knew my name.... Maybe its possible they did have a name for you but you weren't privy to it
Regardless of where you lay your head, the golden rule still applies and I presume its how you treat others is the reason you didn't feel "special" at JMW
applejax is offline  
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:47 am
  #43  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: GOT
Posts: 1,161
Originally Posted by applejax
I presume "new posters" don't get "angered" because of your quality bar, I lean more towards the condescending way you interact with said "new posters".

That is really strange as everyone at JMW from upper management, concierge, front desk, doormen and even housekeeping knew my name.... Maybe its possible they did have a name for you but you weren't privy to it
Regardless of where you lay your head, the golden rule still applies and I presume its how you treat others is the reason you didn't feel "special" at JMW
These passive-aggressive snipes is the exact reaction I'm talking about. Sorry that you feel your standards have been questioned.

If you had taken the time and courtesy to read a bit on the subforum you would have quickly noticed the type of properties that are being covered here.
SocialAdept is offline  
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:16 am
  #44  
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, California,USA
Posts: 17,804
Folks, let's calm down and stop name calling. It is fine to discuss what constitutes a luxury hotel on a thread intended for that purpose; we have had several of those. But this particular thread is focussed on KL, so let''s stick to that topic.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
RichardInSF is offline  
Old May 14, 2018, 2:44 pm
  #45  
A4K
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N/A
Programs: N/A
Posts: 803
Anyone have any insider information on the new FS opening in KL? Looks like there was a press event in Feb where they said they hoped to be open by May 1.

The website allows bookings for later in the year.

Anyone know if there is an outdoor pool? I presume there will be.
A4K is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.