Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maldive's best hotel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: A few
Looks like we are settling on this place for our June trip. Looks to me like it could be a serious competitor for the title of this thread

http://kihavah-maldives.anantara.com/default.aspx
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Looks like we are settling on this place for our June trip. Looks to me like it could be a serious competitor for the title of this thread

http://kihavah-maldives.anantara.com/default.aspx
Probably not. Anantaras, apart from notable exceptions like Anantara Qasr Al Sarab, tend to be good 4-stars. I expect it will be a lot better than Anantara's other three Maldives resorts (none of which are to be recommended), but nowhere near the same league as say, Four Seasons Kuda Huraa or O&O Reethi Rah.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Probably not. Anantaras, apart from notable exceptions like Anantara Qasr Al Sarab, tend to be good 4-stars. I expect it will be a lot better than Anantara's other three Maldives resorts (none of which are to be recommended), but nowhere near the same league as say, Four Seasons Kuda Huraa or O&O Reethi Rah.
That is interesting. As it stands we are looking at this place instead of going to Four Seasons Landaa Girravu which from what I can see is very close by. To my untrained eye the Anantara looks a more luxurious option... nicer rooms, smaller resort, more eclectic dining options. Four Seasons looks more like a "little bit of America" in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:36 am

That is interesting. As it stands we are looking at this place instead of going to Four Seasons Landaa Girravu which from what I can see is very close by. To my untrained eye the Anantara looks a more luxurious option... nicer rooms, smaller resort, more eclectic dining options. Four Seasons looks more like a "little bit of America" in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
In fact, although I am not a fan of Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru (I much prefer Kuda Huraa) it is in no sense a "little bit of America", it is just rather fragmented in its design and unless you have a Royal Villa on the beach or an overwater, the accommodation is a real disappointment as, although they say it was designed by a student of Geoffrey Bawa, various elements feel like unfinished building sites, with furniture that is too small for the height of the rooms. The restaurants are excellent, especially Al Barakat, and the beaches are beautiful, long and powder soft, but......

You certainly don't feel cramped there. There are only 102 rooms/suites on what is a 44-acre island.

I do hope that this new Anantara has got it right as the other three, even Naladhu, was, I thought, really bad (and expensive for what it is). The food was inedible.

Interested to hear what you think of it.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:58 am

Interesting feedback. For us Four Seasons KH is a bit of a non-starter as Male atoll is over-developed and diving just not that good. LG was a very serious contender, nice new resort in Baa Atoll and good family facilities (going with kids this time so that is important). But the accomodation does not look that great, and we've seen varying reports on house reef which is important for snorkelling with our kids. The Anantara looks perfect... accomodation looks great, their appears to be a great house reef, the underwater restaurant is a nice bonus, and it does not look too big for the size of island. Agreed we had already passed on all the other Anantara resorts as they did not look that good. And we had thought of going back to Alila Villas Hadahaa where we went last year but no kids facilities and now it's Park Hyatt it will be full of freeloading FlyerTalkers demanding top service because they are "elite" customers Although from what I understanding returning guests (i.e. those they see as truly loyal) do get excellent treatment. But lack of kids facilities could not get over
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:03 pm

Interesting feedback. For us Four Seasons KH is a bit of a non-starter as Male atoll is over-developed and diving just not that good. LG was a very serious contender, nice new resort in Baa Atoll and good family facilities (going with kids this time so that is important). But the accomodation does not look that great, and we've seen varying reports on house reef which is important for snorkelling with our kids. The Anantara looks perfect... accomodation looks great, their appears to be a great house reef, the underwater restaurant is a nice bonus, and it does not look too big for the size of island. Agreed we had already passed on all the other Anantara resorts as they did not look that good. And we had thought of going back to Alila Villas Hadahaa where we went last year but no kids facilities and now it's Park Hyatt it will be full of freeloading FlyerTalkers demanding top service because they are "elite" customers Although from what I understanding returning guests (i.e. those they see as truly loyal) do get excellent treatment. But lack of kids facilities could not get over
Oh OK, didn't realise you were travelling with the kids, in which case LG works very well indeed, but it sounds as though you are committed to Anantara, so I cannot wait to hear your feedback. Snorkelling and diving, by the way, are very good indeed at LG - they have an amazing dive centre and Manta Ray conservation programme.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:32 pm

Not fully committed at this point... but I think Anantara looks worth a shot. I liked the look of the manta conservation project at FS, but then they say they are up to 6 people per divemaster and we liked that they only did 4 at Alila. Much more high touch / high service (they had a little saying at Alila that with their dive service "all you do is breathe" and they do the rest!). Little questions like that kept persisting in our review of FSLG.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:46 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

We travelled with our young son to the two fs resorts in 2009. I liked them both for different reasons. There should be a trip report/comparison that I wrote somewhere here. Both are very good for kids and I would rather go to somewhere I know would provide great service and holiday experience rather than going "first" to somewhere new even if the new place looks good. Especially in the Maldives where it looks like paradise anyway.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:23 am

Naladhu

In fact, although I am not a fan of Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru (I much prefer Kuda Huraa) it is in no sense a "little bit of America", it is just rather fragmented in its design and unless you have a Royal Villa on the beach or an overwater, the accommodation is a real disappointment as, although they say it was designed by a student of Geoffrey Bawa, various elements feel like unfinished building sites, with furniture that is too small for the height of the rooms. The restaurants are excellent, especially Al Barakat, and the beaches are beautiful, long and powder soft, but......

You certainly don't feel cramped there. There are only 102 rooms/suites on what is a 44-acre island.

I do hope that this new Anantara has got it right as the other three, even Naladhu, was, I thought, really bad (and expensive for what it is). The food was inedible.

Interested to hear what you think of it.
What do you mean Naladhu is really bad? I'm about to head there in a few months. Care to elaborate?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by vision20
What do you mean Naladhu is really bad? I'm about to head there in a few months. Care to elaborate?
Judging by the website, I expected Naladhu to be an idyllic isolated upscale island with nothing to see for miles, whereas it is in fact a three-in-one complex, with the other two resorts linked a) by a long bridge and b) by a short boat ride. Both sister resorts are clearly visible from Naladhu and are not too pretty.

There is only one restaurant on Naladhu, so after a couple of very poor meals we tried some of the restaurants on the sister properties - equally bad.

Given what they charge at Naladhu, I expected a very professional upscale experience, perhaps a little Aman-like, but butlers were poorly trained and a tad too intrusive, restaurant staff was friendly but could not compensate for the poor food.

The villas are colonial in style - more Caribbean than Maldivian. They are OK, but most of the space is outside, even the bathroom, so it is bug infested at night. You also get crabs walking into your shower and outdoor toilet, which I did not appreciate. You also have to go outside to go to the toilet at night.

Shall I go on?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:22 am

Wink

See this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-maldives.html
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TalkFlyer
noticed and appreciated >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
from a Six Senses Laamu report in trip reports forum...
Our GEM confirmed with us the departure date & time of our flight and I clearly mentioned to him my flight leaving Male will be very late at 2325 after 7 days and asked him to arrange the last domestic flight at 2005hrs for us. With the reminder in mind, he then left...
Time flew, on our last evening before dinner around 2000hrs and we would like to check our bill and the schedule for departing next day, saw our GEM in the Library and talked to him but shockingly he told us our domestic flight for tomorrow will depart at 1230 in the afternoon and we have to leave the resort at 1145hrs in the morning! Hey! We didn't lust stayed there for 3 days; we need more packing time for 8-days living in the island! Shocks! We didn’t even think of packing yet as we planned to join Yogalates class next morning! What happen if we didn’t ask him? We’re disappointed by his arrangement and I reminded him 7 days ago our flight depart in late night since we don't want to stay in Male Airport for more than TEN hours!

I asked what’s wrong to the last flight from KDO to MLE which would depart at 2005hrs and just right time to connect my late international flight but he didn’t answer me directly and just keep saying that there is other domestic flight going down south and going back to Male will depart couple hours later and asked me willing to take that flight but take you around three hours in the small plane. Again, I asked the last domestic flight 2005hrs, he admitted the flight was full...

Not until we checked-in, walked around the departure hall that we saw other guests (3 couples to be exact) just arrived at airport from Six Senses Laamu, that we realized our 2005hrs seats were given to one of those couples! Isn't this a clear manifestation of mere neglect from the part of GEM? Aren't we supposed to be taken cared of our dear butler and meet the best of our needs up to the last moment we step out of the resort?? We could had agreed for an early 12-noon checkout instead (if that was their actual plan!) & would rather Chill Out, spend my money and the rest of the day in the Spa which is by the way generates more revenue for them! That's not fair!
Beware of your connecting flight time!!!!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
trip report kuda huraa and soneva fushi

For those interested I just posted the reviews about my recent stay (end of July beginning August) in Maldives at

Soneva Fushi:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...Baa_Atoll.html

Kuda Huraa
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ale_Atoll.html

They came....loooongggg, sorry for the overflow.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:38 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Great report with great pictures! This resort has some very different features....some I like, some I'm not so sure about.

Regarding The-Daddy's KH trip report - I agree with your assessment about most units being too close together.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:47 pm

Strange

Judging by the website, I expected Naladhu to be an idyllic isolated upscale island with nothing to see for miles, whereas it is in fact a three-in-one complex, with the other two resorts linked a) by a long bridge and b) by a short boat ride. Both sister resorts are clearly visible from Naladhu and are not too pretty.

There is only one restaurant on Naladhu, so after a couple of very poor meals we tried some of the restaurants on the sister properties - equally bad.

Given what they charge at Naladhu, I expected a very professional upscale experience, perhaps a little Aman-like, but butlers were poorly trained and a tad too intrusive, restaurant staff was friendly but could not compensate for the poor food.

The villas are colonial in style - more Caribbean than Maldivian. They are OK, but most of the space is outside, even the bathroom, so it is bug infested at night. You also get crabs walking into your shower and outdoor toilet, which I did not appreciate. You also have to go outside to go to the toilet at night.

Shall I go on?
Wow that is very strange. I've read every report on TA and there isn't a single bad report. Unlike Huvafen Fushi, O&O RR, SG, FS LG & KH which all have great reviews but several really bad ones also. I've also contacted some who have personally visited and they seem to like the fact that you can visit the other resorts to get a variety of meals and it gives you a bit to explore.

You've piqued my interest....think your experience might be isolated? Have you visited any other resorts in the Maldives to compare? Thanks again for all the details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.