FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
List of Higher End Munich Hotels in Alphabetical Order
  • Bayerischer Hof
  • Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten
  • Mandarin Oriental
  • Sofitel Bayerpost
  • The Charles Hotel

but I, RichardInSF (not speaking as mod), think it's pretty darn clear that the MO and Charles are a step above the other three.
Print Wikipost

Munich Hotels (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:53 am

I wonder if MO Munich will see improvements in attitude und service delivery over the course of the next year now with Amanda Hyndman serving as Area Vice President. Certainly good to know she is in charge.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by scented
I wonder if MO Munich will see improvements in attitude und service delivery over the course of the next year now with Amanda Hyndman serving as Area Vice President. Certainly good to know she is in charge.
You can guarantee it!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:28 pm

3 nights at VJ - FHR booking

Mixed opinions about VJ.

Some staff are awesome. All the ladies in red are great. Concierge team is outstanding. One bar staff - young whippersnapper needs a kick in the rear or two - Wienerschnitzel order delivered in 90 minutes - they had to buy flour first maybe ... ? The restaurant bfast is good but the maitre’d attitude during dinner time turned us off. Unfortunately the bar was even worse - read above. The last morning we ordered room service bfast and we got enough food to feed 4 people!

Room is ok, bit on the small side but we had issues with the do not disturb sign.

One staff at the lounge really stood out. He arranged tea tasting for the wife, some dessert samplings and very quick with all kinds of request.

Their AMG partnership though is awesome. We got a free use of an AMG GT C roadster for a day, just need to fill up the gas. We ended up driving it to Schwangau and back - and listening to the snap, pop and crackles of the twin turbo v8 - much better sound than any car stereo can offer.

Not sure if we will come back. If they keep their AMG partnership we would - maybe. We complained to the fo manager on checkout and she comped all the extra charges outside of FHR benefit and the GM wrote me personally offering his apology.

Last edited by r0m8470; Jan 17, 2019 at 12:56 am
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Review: Mandarin Oriental

Last week I stayed at Mandarin Oriental. I like the location near Maximilianstraße, it´s in the heart of the city.
The arrival was very good and friendly. I had booked a Superior Junior Suite and received an upgrade to a Deluxe Junior Suite. Here are pictures from the public spaces, which are nice:

As the hotel is relative small it feels very intimate. During our hole stay Service was great, only one excemption was a desoriented guy who wanted to deliver a blanket to our room shortly bevore departure.
So far so nice but most important part for me is still the room. Our Junior Suite was quite small and simply felt dated. Beside an unpleasant stay (like cold smoke) I simply didn´t like it. Also I don´t like to Sleep near a door which leads direct to the public hallway including light which come through it.

The weakest part of the room was the bathroom. Small and not very appealing to me. Also I don´t like black joints.

There was also a terrace, pretty useless in November.

Breakfast was really good with high quality items.

We also had dinner at Matushisa, but I don´t include pictures. Food was pretty good but not great. Therefore prices were quite high. I wouldn´t dine here again, Munich has much much better choices.

Bottom line:
MO has a great soft product with world class Service. If I compare it to the Charles it´s miles ahead. Chales can be good, but during the majorities of my stays I had at least one heavy service issue.So regarding Service Hands down MO. Therefore the rooms at MO are not my taste, especially if I consider I Paid 925 € per nicht and the Deluxe Junior Suite would have been 1125 €. Room wise you don´t get what you pay, not even far. I like the rooms at Charles much more and if I consider I normally get an upgrade from a Junior Suite to a Classic Suite and pay often half the price it´s a simple choice. Perhaps a Major renovation at MO could change the game, I´m also looking forward to the new Rosewood.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
MO got us last minute tables in the Shutzenfestzelt opening night of Oktoberfest. Very pleased with them!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
MO got us last minute tables in the Shutzenfestzelt opening night of Oktoberfest. Very pleased with them!
Thanks for sharing , offerendum

Will be staying next spring , April & May , planning on it along with Zoe pre & post Armenia & Georgia . Good to recuperate after a potentially strenuous trip
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Last week I stayed at Mandarin Oriental. I like the location near Maximilianstraße, it´s in the heart of the city.
The arrival was very good and friendly. I had booked a Superior Junior Suite and received an upgrade to a Deluxe Junior Suite

As the hotel is relative small it feels very intimate. During our hole stay Service was great, only one excemption was a desoriented guy who wanted to deliver a blanket to our room shortly bevore departure.
So far so nice but most important part for me is still the room. Our Junior Suite was quite small and simply felt dated. Beside an unpleasant stay (like cold smoke) I simply didn´t like it. Also I don´t like to Sleep near a door which leads direct to the public hallway including light which come through it.

Bottom line:
MO has a great soft product with world class Service. If I compare it to the Charles it´s miles ahead. Chales can be good, but during the majorities of my stays I had at least one heavy service issue.So regarding Service Hands down MO. Therefore the rooms at MO are not my taste, especially if I consider I Paid 925 € per nicht and the Deluxe Junior Suite would have been 1125 €. Room wise you don´t get what you pay, not even far. I like the rooms at Charles much more and if I consider I normally get an upgrade from a Junior Suite to a Classic Suite and pay often half the price it´s a simple choice. Perhaps a Major renovation at MO could change the game, I´m also looking forward to the new Rosewood.

That bathroom looks like it came from 2000. Old and worn. This is probably the most underwhelming MO hardware that I've seen in a long time. You'd think the 2015 refurbishment would have done the rooms as well.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Aventine
That bathroom looks like it came from 2000. Old and worn. This is probably the most underwhelming MO hardware that I've seen in a long time. You'd think the 2015 refurbishment would have done the rooms as well.
Unfortunately not really and the bathroom looked indeed worn. It can be they changed furniture as sofa looked pretty new.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Thanks for sharing , offerendum

Will be staying next spring , April & May , planning on it along with Zoe pre & post Armenia & Georgia . Good to recuperate after a potentially strenuous trip
Sounds like a nice trip!

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Service is their strength.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, that bathroom looks very worn and dated, not like the one in my recent stay. I do like the new bar downstairs, though. Had some fantastic cocktails there.

Last edited by LondonElite; Nov 8, 2019 at 2:29 am
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, that bathroom looks very worn and dated, not like the one in my recent stay. I do like the new bar downstairs, though. Had some fantastic cocktails there.
Yeah, bar looks new but not a real bar-type
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:06 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I got in early (!) and grabbed some points award seats into Munich before I go to Salzburg and Vienna for Christmas. Figure I should spend a night for the Christmas markets. Is Mandarin Oriental the best choice for this? Looking, I think it is the closest to Marienplatz. Or perhaps Bayerischer Hof or Kempinski? Probably not interested in the Charles for this trip as will only be one night.

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2020, 1:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SojournsOf
I got in early (!) and grabbed some points award seats into Munich before I go to Salzburg and Vienna for Christmas. Figure I should spend a night for the Christmas markets. Is Mandarin Oriental the best choice for this? Looking, I think it is the closest to Marienplatz. Or perhaps Bayerischer Hof or Kempinski? Probably not interested in the Charles for this trip as will only be one night.

Thanks!
All of the hotels you list are equidistant from the main Christmas market in the pedestrian area. I like the 4JZ but it’s an individual call.
offerendum and SojournsOf like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Any noteworthy updates to this thread in the last 2 years? I see there's also a new-ish Andaz in a neighborhood a bit north (Schwabinger Tor) as a Virtuoso property. Quieter, more walkable streets and cafes, maybe? Has anyone been?
Old May 30, 2022, 7:39 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Any noteworthy updates to this thread in the last 2 years? I see there's also a new-ish Andaz in a neighborhood a bit north (Schwabinger Tor) as a Virtuoso property. Quieter, more walkable streets and cafes, maybe? Has anyone been?
Funny you should ask! I just finished a four night stay there today, so I guess it's appropriate for me to comment. I was upgraded to their second highest category, the Executive Tower suite, which is 115sqmt. There are two of these in the hotel, and I would say the hard product clearly meets the standard of a luxury hotel anywhere. Service levels at the hotel were fine but note that they do not offer turndown service. I would say this specific room category is nicer than many suites at the Charles hotel. Can't compare it to a suite at the Mandarin Oriental because I've never stayed in one (and stopped staying at the MO because of the snottiness and inflexibility of the staff).

The negative of the Andaz is that the location, while in a nice, safe, walkable part of Munich, isn't that convenient to many attractions Their restaurants are limited, although the breakfast was very good and I also liked their small coffee shop Bicicletta which is, you guessed it, bicycle themed. But the food is not anywhere near a Michelin star level.

I didn't try any other restaurants in the immediate neighborhood as they didn't look that inviting. However, a five minute tram or bus ride away (or 20 minutes walk) is the thriving area of Munich Freiheit, which has numerous (possibly a hundred or more) choices at the intermediate-price level.

Despite the location issue, I'd definitely stay again. I am also a bit of a public transit fanatic when it's good, and found a way to get from MUC to the front door of the hotel with only one transfer (S bahn train 8 to Ostbahnof, followed by 54 bus -- which changes to 142 at Munich Freiheit -- and then stops literally 100m from the front door of the hotel).

The hotel offers local transport in a BMW on a first come/first served basis, but I never tried this so don't know about availability.

It's a great choice if you have a car or are willing to otherwise deal with the transport issues. I'd say that the upper suite categories are quite reasonably priced at rack compared to the Charles and MO.
obscure2k and offerendum like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.