Search

koh samui luxury hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2009, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
koh samui luxury hotel

hi

heading to thailand for a week end of may/early june and will prob go down to koh samui (best weather area?) we (2 of us girlfriend and me) were looking at hotels down there but are finding it hard to decide on one...any thoughts?

thanks

mark
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:12 am
Aman Contributor Badge

We loved the Four Seasons, but I know that others here did not.

As far as I can remember:

The most often mentioned negatives are the steep hill (which I love because of the view and did not mind walking - or using the very efficient buggy service) and the food (lack of spices and price level - I would argue that one can just ask for the food to be spiced up + price level is normal FS price level). Positives are the excellent villas and very good service + SPA and kids club (if relevanbt). All villas have own pool. Some think that main pool is too small and some critizise the beach because one cannot swim there at low tide. We loved the beach and long to go back.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Yeah...I like the FS too. Maybe we got lucky with the villa #? Mine was very private. We just ordered room service all day long and enjoyed the villa. Life doesnt get any better. I prefer it over FS in Bali because of the native cuisine.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
I asked this question a while back and ended up experimenting by sending my parents to the FS. They were overall very satisfied, though, next time, I think it's FS Langkawi or Amanpulo that I'm sending them off to.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

heading to the fs in langkawi at the end of jan; i hear it suposed to be lovely; however i'm not sure june in langkawi would be great weather wise? any other recomendations hotel wise on koh samui?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:38 pm

We are also asking a similar question: where best in koh samui? Assuming not the 4S, are there other top properties? And, while I know we want to be on the east side of the island, we will be there in the summer, do we want one particular area? Frankly, we would prefer to have access to a town, or towns, for restaurants and such. Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by flyr16
We are also asking a similar question: where best in koh samui? Assuming not the 4S, are there other top properties? And, while I know we want to be on the east side of the island, we will be there in the summer, do we want one particular area? Frankly, we would prefer to have access to a town, or towns, for restaurants and such. Thanks.
At some point, high-end travellers are going to have to accept that Koh Samui, as an island, is not in the same league as Phuket. The indigenous flora is palm trees, palm trees and palm trees, which is a big contrast to the richly landscaped Phuket. Also, because Koh Samui was traditionally a back-packer's destination, the shops and villages are frankly tacky.

Four Seasons is a hit and miss affair. It missed for me - not the best FS resort I have ever encountered, although the spa is quite good. The topography of the place, though, is a disaster, and even if you are fit and like walking, you still have to negotiate a 400 foot drop from the arrivals to the beach. The buggies do arrive on time, but unless you are a terminal couch-potato, you miss walking (and believe me, we tried).

The other options include Karma Samui, which is a really pleasant small property with big villas (up to 4-beds), a good restaurant and very caring, if not 100% professional, service. Lovely private cove, too.

If you want to be in town, then Anantara Koh Samui is a really pleasant surprise, as long as you opt for one of their Royal Suites (which are ridiculously cheap). The food here is probably the best on the island and they have a remarkable spa and beautifully designed public areas. You are also near to Fisherman's Village (good shops), so not entirely isolated.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Sila Hideaway

One of my best hotel experiences in the world was at the Sila in Samui. Beach not too good, but the villas are amazing, the main pool and spa unreal, and the food simply out of this world. The plunge pool for the villa suites is small, but very pleasant.

Sunset over the gulf of Thailand from your bathtub or in your privat sala on the rocks is stuningly romantic. The cooking classes are the best I have ever attended and great fun.

In a different categorie, but equaly excellent experience is the Library. More centraly located and quite a unique hotel experience. Newly openned and not tested as yet is the X2 resort Samui, looks fabulous, all depends on what you are after.

No stuffy furniture and staff in any of these properties.

If you want any further info just ask.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:49 am
Original Poster

sila samui..u mean that sala samui??? what villa would you go for?? the x2 looks lovely but id bit a bit unsure of going to a brand new boutique hotel without seeing the reviews/knowing that it will be there in 6 months when i plan to go...
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by irish mark
sila samui..u mean that sala samui??? what villa would you go for?? the x2 looks lovely but id bit a bit unsure of going to a brand new boutique hotel without seeing the reviews/knowing that it will be there in 6 months when i plan to go...
No no, not the Sala. I was talking about the Six Senses Hideaway Samui, it realy is a fantastic hotel. There are 3 villa types and the pool villa suites are beautifull. The main pool is huge, so one of the basic villas is fine as well. I would ask for the sunset side, as the view is better. Dining on the rocks is a must as is the spa. Breakfast can last all day, and as I said the cooking classes are great fun. Youu probably won't want to go out of the resort, but they do offer comp. transfers into town or can organise tours of the island.

Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world to try out new hotels. I tried the Library just after they opened and the service was most professionnal.

If in doubt, go for the Six Senses Hideaway, it is flawless.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Another vote for the Six Senses Hideaway from me - especially the nightly managers cocktail party
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:47 am
Original Poster

as a matter of intrest did you book direct or through an agent/site? when i thought you were refering to the sala i looked at the hotels site and it seems to be 1/3 less expensive than trailfinders (who i usually use) which i found quite strange...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.