Search

taj and oberoi mumbai partially reopened

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

taj and oberoi mumbai partially reopened

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,5528122.story

The Taj Mahal and Oberoi resume business less than a month after the terrorist attacks...

December 22, 2008

The Taj was only accepting guests at its 1970s-era Taj Tower...

The palace wing is months from reopening, and it could take more than a year to completely repair, executives said.

...only one of the two hotel buildings in the Oberoi complex was open to the public; the other suffered more extensive damage and is unlikely to reopen for two to three months.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

Thanks Kagehitokiri,
We're finalising our trip to India and our long haul flight is into Mumbai.
I think we will stay at the Taj before we go to Rajahstan. Im not sure about the FS Mumbai and I would like our first night in India to have some feel of authenticity about it.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 5:56 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
The CNT Gold List came out just after the Mumbai attacks and I noticed that the Taj Mahal scored very highly - 92+. I also saw a beautiful picture of it in another travel magazine and thought how lovely it looked compared to what we saw on television in November.

I hope they are able to get back on their feet very soon! This will be a difficult time for them (and for India).
Old Dec 31, 2008, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by paul2
Thanks Kagehitokiri,
We're finalising our trip to India and our long haul flight is into Mumbai.
I think we will stay at the Taj before we go to Rajahstan. Im not sure about the FS Mumbai and I would like our first night in India to have some feel of authenticity about it.
Do be aware that the tower is a fairly typical business style hotel, bolted on to the original Taj Palace back in the early 1970s. It has been carefully refurbished, but it is not in the same league as the Palace wing.

Most of the best restaurants are in the old wing (the Palace) and of these, I hear that Marsala Kraft is the only one to re-open - no idea how, as it is opposite the Golden Dragon, which was completely destroyed. Other restaurants available now are The Zodiac Grill (tower wing), Souk (excellent restaurant on rooftop of tower), Masala Kraft (palace wing), Aquarius (tower wing), Shamiana (palace wing by pool), Starboard and La Patisserie.

To ease and enhance the experience, Taj have introduced extra services for Tower guests, who can now enjoy the privileges of the Taj Club as well as the butler service. The hotels fleet will also be expanded with the addition of two new Jaguars, offering chauffeur driven transfers.

As for The Oberoi, this will remain closed for several months. The second string Trident (next door and linked to The Oberoi) has already re-opened, but although this is a pleasant business hotel, it is a four-star-plus, with a couple of OK restaurants and is not in the same league as The Oberoi.

I agree that you will get the most authentic experience by staying at the Taj Tower rather than The Oberoi or the Four Seasons. You also have a great view of the Gate of India and the water from the Tower.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
As for The Oberoi, this will remain closed for several months. The second string Trident (next door and linked to The Oberoi) has already re-opened
thanks for clarifying, i dont know why its so hard for media to get even simple things like hotel names right...
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
thanks for clarifying, i dont know why its so hard for media to get even simple things like hotel names right...
It is not really a mess up of the name. The Oberoi name has a history with both -- even when the Trident portion was a Trident Hilton Oberoi.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ericka
The CNT Gold List came out just after the Mumbai attacks and I noticed that the Taj Mahal scored very highly - 92+. I also saw a beautiful picture of it in another travel magazine and thought how lovely it looked compared to what we saw on television in November.

I hope they are able to get back on their feet very soon! This will be a difficult time for them (and for India).
The Taj itself will largely be back on its feet by this time next year -- it's difficult for them more than it's really that difficult for India as thousands more die in vehicle accidents in India every month.

The Bombay attacks last month don't even amount to 10% of the usual annual victim count for politically-motivated gun, knives and bomb attacks in India that are a daily or weekly part of life in various parts of India. The difference this time was that the victims had more of the well-off and included far more wealthier foreigners than is usual for most attacks in India.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

if something is differentiated, its not accurate to simply ignore the differentiation.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:11 am

When I was watching the unfolding news in Mumbai, I was hugely frustrated by the inaccuracy of the media. I did not know if it was the Trident or The Oberoi that was under attack, and presumed it was The Trident, as it is an easier hotel to access (or so I thought).

I can understand there being some confusion from Indian media, as The Trident was the original Oberoi Mumbai (20 or so years ago), then became The Oberoi Towers when they built The Oberoi adjoining it. Then became The Trident Hilton, then recently reverted to The Trident! However, it does not take much research to find out that there are two hotels and that their names are quite different. I despair of the media these days.

Last edited by vuittonsofstyle; Dec 31, 2008 at 9:12 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
I'll be passing through Mumbai for 2 nights for leisure in a couple of months. I have booked the FS as I usually love any new FS property, but am also considering the Taj despite its recent past and current situation.

I would appreciate any insights that would make me lean either way.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

not on a weekend (2nd nt free at FS) ?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
not on a weekend (2nd nt free at FS) ?
nope! weekdays. sun/mon nights. great thought though as the FS is $100 more per night with one of those nights being cut short by a 1130pm plane arrival.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

"Valid days: Thursday to Sunday "

that seems to suggest sunday might be a valid checkin day, with mon free. perhaps worth checking.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 20, 2009 at 11:11 am
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:23 am

Has anyone stayed at the Taj since it reopened? Does anyone have a report on the FS?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by speedbird001
Has anyone stayed at the Taj since it reopened? Does anyone have a report on the FS?
Only the tower has reopened at the Taj, not the historic palace wing, which was severely damaged. What they have done is move the palace wing butlers into the tower, in order to increase the level of service for suite guests, but this is all very temporary. Normally, you would never stay in the tower wing as it is a very boring piece of architecture. As you are going for leisure, you will want a pool and good views. You will certainly get great views from the Taj tower, but I wonder if they have re-opened the pool yet as it is situated in the old palace wing garden.

Yes, I have also stayed at the Four Seasons Mumbai, but was not too impressed, apart from their fabulous 2-level Asian food theatre 'San-Qi', which is the most adventurous restaurant Four Seasons have ever done - spectacular! The rest of the hotel is very 'business' - not at all a leisure destination as it is right in the heart of Worli, which is a very run-down 'emerging' business district. All you can see from your room/suite is slums, with the ocean in the VERY far distance. There are no real gardens here, just a bar terrace, and this is overlooked by tenements. The pool area is a roof-top - OK but nothing special. Spa is OK, but nothing special. It's basically a business hotel. I would never stay there again, but I would drive out there to eat at San'Qi!

Another thought is Taj Wellington Mews in South Mumbai. OK, this too is near the commercial centres of the city, but unlike the Four Seasons it is situated in around 3 acres of landscaped garden, with only 80 'residences' and studio apartments. There is a pool here, fitness centre and a proper spa, so it would certainly work as a leisure option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.