Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Hotel Room/Suites Floorplans: Do they affect your decision?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2008, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

Some luxury hotels have been posting the floorplans on their websites.

From looking at the floorplans, would it affect the decision as to the room/suite category to book when staying at the hotel?

Perhaps after looking at the floorplan, you see that the only difference between the Grand Deluxe room and the Deluxe room is an additional sofa and slightly larger dressing area, would you opt for the Deluxe room instead as you feel that these additional items are "nothing special"?

Or you see that the Lakeview Suite has a window above the bathtub, would you splurge and spend extra for it?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:02 pm

Yes, floorplans play a big part in my decision when booking a room or suite. I find them much more helpful than room descriptions, which may not always be accurate or what you expected.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: BAEC lowly blue, various semi-worthless hotel programs.
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
Yes, floorplans play a big part in my decision when booking a room or suite. I find them much more helpful than room descriptions, which may not always be accurate or what you expected.
Agreed.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Rewards Gold; Amex Platinum
Absolutely! One of the reasons why I am loyal to Four Seasons properties when possible is the fact that they always post good floorplans for each category of room on their website. As a matter of fact, the floorplan and good pictures of the rooms at the Georges V in Paris made me decide to go with Premiere level rooms instead of the deluxe level over New Years last year.

I wish someone would start a website similar to seatguru.com but focused on hotel room floor plans and pictures.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Not only floor plans, virtual tours and detailed amenities too.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Floorplans are a huge plus. I always figure the vague, generic text descriptions of rooms are at best useless, at worst fraudulent. Advance room selection, as with airline seats, would be a big draw for me also.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
I'm more of a picture person - like if it looks like haute-couture design from the 80's then the room is likely a hot mess. Golden Girls colors are a dead give away.

I've been in high-end rooms where you cant put a suitcase at the foot of the bed and still walk around it.

I find text descriptions to be completely useless. My least favorite is "some rooms include.." like it's going to be a suprise.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:01 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
yes, I like the floor plans.

My pet hate is the detailed list of room amenities followed by the line ..."some of these amenities may not be available in all rooms"

So do I get the DVD player or not, does the room have a separate shower or not???

I find it pretty worthless and actually quite off putting when I see this. Starwood I think does this and I'm sure a few others.

Start putting descriptions of what I am going to get instead of telling me what I might get.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:37 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I too like having floor plans but the floor plan itself usually is not a determining factor in whether I book a certain type of room. However, I am more likely to book at a hotel which have floor plans as opposed to those who do not.

I also like hotel room pictures but this is a double edged sword especially if you receive a room that looks nothing like the room in the picture on the website. This happened to me at Le Bristol in Paris where the room we got was nowhere near furnished like the "representative sample" photo on the website. In fact, there was a lack of furniture and looked like the decoration budget had run out.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:59 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I do not think I would book at hotel room in a five star property without afloorplan and good pictures of the room. If the internet site was not providing this, I would definitely ask for it. Floorplans are particularly interesting to me because we travel with our now 5-year-old son, which means I am very eager to understand where his bed can be placed. In order to do this, I would actually prefer even more accurate floorplans: Sometimes it is for example possible to put a kids bed in a big (FS Asia style) bathroom or wardrobe which means that we do not need to go for a suite with separate bed- and livingrooms in order to have the possibility to actually use the room also after our son has been brought to bed.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 7:37 am

The only time that floor plans do not work is when the hotel is historic and every room/suite is of a different configuration, with different ceiling heights etc etc.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Floor plans are useful, but I've found that even at FS properties the room layouts vary from room to room. This is especially true in renovated old-world properties like old palaces, etc...

My biggest pet peeve is getting a "1 Bedroom Suite" and literally having it be 2 regular connecting rooms, except one side has the bed pulled out and sofa put in. I realize this is the most practical way to create a suite, but it's just lame!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The only time that floor plans do not work is when the hotel is historic and every room/suite is of a different configuration, with different ceiling heights etc etc.
Definitely agree. And the irony is that that's when you are at the biggest risk of getting a substandard room, due to the huge range of rooms in historic hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.