Amanpulo - food quality and prices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist

Staying at Amanpulo for 4 nights in late September. Because we can only stay for 4 nights, we cannot get any of the packages that are all inclusive for food.

Looking for an idea of food quality and prices for 3 meals per day. Is the food quality good? I am guessing we may spend around $200 US per day on food? Is this in the ballpark?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by sscott77
Staying at Amanpulo for 4 nights in late September. Because we can only stay for 4 nights, we cannot get any of the packages that are all inclusive for food.

Looking for an idea of food quality and prices for 3 meals per day. Is the food quality good? I am guessing we may spend around $200 US per day on food? Is this in the ballpark?
We normally spend more than that, but I am including wine. It depends upon what you order, of course, and where you eat, but overall the food is very good at pulo. If you just have a club sandwich around the pool then this will vary considerably to having a couple of courses at the beach café. Don't forget, also, that there are lots of romantic places on the island to eat, whereby they set up a picnic for two, or whatever. Then there is room service.....
Old Sep 10, 2008, 2:13 pm

Here's the link to the Amanpulo trip report I wrote just a couple of months ago, in which I talk quite a bit about the food.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=509

It's a shame you can't stay for an extra night as that would allow you to do the "Romance at Amanpulo" package, which is an absolute steal if you ask me. For one, it costs less than if you get just the room and pay for each meal. On top of that, they throw in some activities like a beach "blessing ceremony" which is a lot of fun, beach BBQ which was one of the highlights of our trip, and a sunset cruise.

But the all-inclusive food is the key. We ate whatever and whenever we wanted. Ordering the freshly caught sashimi by the pool was a daily occurrence for us, sometimes twice a day. The food at dinner was so good, we often ordered two mains each. They have a new chef (as well as co-GMs) and the food is unbelievable!

We did have a glance at the prices, and though they were reasonable in light that we were staying on a private island and the expense that must come with flying in most of the food (other than some of the local seafood) on a regular basis, it was still substantial and we were very happy that we chose an all-inclusive package.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 2:59 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Good to hear that a new chef has arrived. On my visit last year food quality was very good but lacked variety un-AMAN-like (mainly Philippino/Portugese food).
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:31 pm

Yes, the new chef is fantastic. We had Filipino cuisine maybe once, and that was only for a breakfast dish. There is an extensive Filipino menu if you want it, but the continental menu was so varied and interesting we ordered from it every night. I'm talking bouillabaisse loaded with lobsters, scampi, crab, mussels, clams, local fish, etc., grilled wagyu rib-eye, fillet with foie gras, all types of seafood, pastas, just excellent. The fried quail with eggplant and chilies was incredible. Also the lagoon club serves Vietnamese food which was excellent, perfect for lunch. Can't wait to go back!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 5:23 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I second the recommendation for the romance package. Excellent value and super fun!

But if you have to pay for the food separately, I don't think it is too expensive compared to other resort locations. The most expensive food I've ever seen was in the Bahamas (One & Only Ocean Club / Atlantis). Asian Amans are usually very fair with their food pricing. Even the FS food I think usually prices out higher. Just be sensible with what you order if it is a concern.

Have a wonderful time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.