Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annoying fees

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
A variant of this happened to me at a well-known resort in Phoenix. I had flown MAD - PHX and arrived at midnight, local time -- 7 am Madrid time which my body clock was still on.

Checked in, and reception people insisted that a bell person (is that PC or what?) accompany me and my carry-on luggage to my hacienda-style room. I was tired, I certainly didn't need the help, and was even more irritated when, after reception carefully explained that "all tips are included in the room rate," the bell person just stood around for a you-know-what.

Was asked: "Would you like a newspaper in the morning?" and I mumbled "The Wall Street Journal, please."

When I checked out three days later and found I had been charged $3.25 a day for the (then) $.75 paper, I asked. "Hey!" was the explanation, "that was a special order!"
Old Sep 12, 2008, 2:11 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Fortunately for me, when I asked for the IHT at the Four Seasons Los Angeles the hotel printed out a copy and sent it up to the room along with breakfast. No charges appeared on my bill for that.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Baglioni London (SLH property) also asked me what paper I wanted in the morning then charged me well over sticker price to have it dropped at my door.

Of course, they also asked how many bottles of water I wanted in the room and charged me for those too!

Stupid practice.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, United Silver
Same Thing at the Palace SF

Same thing happened to me at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco--I was presented with a large list of papers when I checked in and chose the WSJ. Little did I know (and I certainly wasn't told) that I'd be charged for it when I checked out. Desk staff committed to taking it off my bill, but they never managed to do it, and for $~2.50, I decided not to fight it. . .
Old Sep 13, 2008, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Internet Charges

The outrageous internet charges - wow 35 SFR at day - are in large part the hotels making up for a huge decline in outrageous telephone fees since so many people use their mobiles even in room for outgoing calls. I think most 5-star hoteliers would tell you they are even to behind in terms of revenue/profit as they made more from phone charges pre-mobile era.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
On the petty charges front I hate being charged a flat fee for toll free calls.

At the Heritage in Christchurch, NZ (not luxury, but not super cheapo either) we paid I think $25NZD for the daily internet, it wasn't an exorbitant rate but then the downloads were limited to something petty like 30MB, with a pricey supplement for every megabyte over that. I fired up iTunes and forgot that I had a podcast that automatically downloaded DJ mixes Thank god a pop up appeared to say I'd reached the free download limit on the internet or else I'd have maxed out my Amex at checkout! There were four 230MB mixes downloading simultaneously!

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Pens also seem to be free these days (at least in BKK)
Free wireless and wired at the Pen HKG and each room had its own network so no lousy signal ^

Originally Posted by justforfun
A fee for a locker at a luxury hotel is just ridiculous. I completely understand your issue
That is indeed shameful!

Originally Posted by Insulator-King
As I read thru this post, I am boggled by people who pay so much for luxury. Is is really worth it. As several have mentioned, stay at a nice comfort inn or suite, or numerous other motel properties, where internet is included for free, the exercise room is free, continental breakfast is free..... well you get my point
And you list Southwest Rapid Rewards in your profile...why am I not surprised?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 4:04 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
It still irritates me when luxury hotels charge a delivery fee or per person cover charges for In Room Dining. It is even more irritating when the high gratuity charged in addition (18-20%) is charged on top of the $4.00 or $5.00 delivery fee/cover charge.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i cant believe this thread hasnt been bumped in so long! ill bet this triggers a lot more new posts.

Originally Posted by BaumeMercier
Sorry if I am in a wrong forum but wanted to get this out and express my dissatisfaction, I was recently in FS Provence and experienced this:
Very expensive wireless – 25 euro per day for "fast" Wi-Fi and
3.50 per coffee/tea charge after a "limit" of two daily.
This is ridiculous for a resort of this standard, do the other FS do this??
if you booked through FSPP there should be no internet charge, because it is an all suite property, but if there are multiple plans i would assume only the cheapest would be included for free.

http://www.fourseasons.com/provence/value/
doesnt mention morning/afternoon coffee/tea like some other FS
Old May 7, 2011, 8:56 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i cant believe this thread hasnt been bumped in so long! ill bet this triggers a lot more new posts.
Your thread is simply too important to be bumped.

The contrary of "annoying fees" happened to me recently at Amanwella, one of the top Amanresorts.

I bought a SPF 30 cream in their boutique and "complained" that there was no SPF 50.

Guess what happened in the afternoon: The most committed, charming and handsome Aman GM, Pietro Addis, came to the beach and handed a SPF 50 cream to me with his big smile.

The item did never show on my bill^.

P.S. : And to BaumeMercier, why would you expect otherwise from a bland chain like FS claiming fake "luxury". There are really enough nice properties around on the Côte d'Azur.....

Last edited by behuman; May 7, 2011 at 9:17 am
Old May 7, 2011, 3:38 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

At Trisara We were given fresh aloe vera to calm sun burn and a local cream to put on a mosquito bite just because management noticed We needed it. We did not even ask. Also this with no charges. Wonderful service and very caring.
Old May 7, 2011, 3:45 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

And at fs mauritius they Mauritius they prepared an extra spicy chutney for us almost every day just after telling once that We really like spicy food. No extra payment. And i also remember a spesial meal wish our son had at fs lg maldives which was not on the menu. We had talked about it with someone briefly earlier and it had been especially prepared when we arrived for dinner. Still my sons favourite fs. Again no charge for this.
Old May 7, 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Musken
And at fs mauritius they Mauritius they prepared an extra spicy chutney for us almost every day just after telling once that We really like spicy food. No extra payment. And i also remember a spesial meal wish our son had at fs lg maldives which was not on the menu. We had talked about it with someone briefly earlier and it had been especially prepared when we arrived for dinner. Still my sons favourite fs. Again no charge for this.
I think these last few posts (including behuman's) go to the heart of the issue. Luxury hotels can/do provide great service and they will often go above and beyond. But, at the same time (and in the same places), they will sometimes nickel-and-dime you for certain amenities.

I personally think internet is one of the worst as it is cheap to provide and often has ridiculous fees to the guest. I personally get annoyed at hotels, especially luxury hotels, charging for it.
Old May 7, 2011, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

although positive posts would be >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ury-hotel.html

i guess in the last 2.5 years all the nickel and diming discussion has been in the form of side topics in other threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.