Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annoying fees

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: CO, NH
Who has been to the RC Osaka lately? I was there last year on a working holiday and almost fainted when I logged on to the lobby wireless. The hotel was booked to the gills, my room was not ready, and I had to get online. It was something like $12 or $15 an hour.

So very tacky that my usual stress remedy of room service-supplied soba noodles and tempura barely helped. Next time I will stay at the perfectly acceptable Comfort Inn for $60, wired access included!

The eminently classy Seiyo Ginza charges something like $12.95/day for wired IIRC. This is the upper limit of what I can tolerate, but it's still disappointing from such a nice place.

It seems the real horror stories come from Europe though.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Name names, eh? I just got my charge card bill and there on it was an extra $13.11 from the Trump in NYC. $8.11 was for a minibar charge that I didn't incur. But the extra $5? I handed them a fedex box on the way out which they accepted -- and then silently charged me $5 for the privilege of taking it.

I have challenged both charges. Aw heck, I am doing more than challenging them, I am telling them I am not going to pay. At $575++, they can post a fedex for me now and then.

I do not accept that even a midrange hotel is allowed to charge for accepting or posting mail or fedex. Subcontracting a "business center" in the lobby and telling you it is a separate business is not an excuse.
This defines the word "tacky". Especially a place like the Trump, no irony intended. The Wynn in Las Vegas does that too (they charge you to deliver a received package) which I think is just plain bad form.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cltwbb
Does anybody else think it's irritating that a full service luxury hotel (like a Four Seasons) would charge for thing like internet access? To me, that is a standard that most hotels that cater to business travellers should provide. I think it's ridiculous to get charged for that at a super high-end hotel. Thoughts?
It's funny you should mention the Four Seasons. At the Four Seasons at Maui, they will still nickel and dime the guests with these kinds of charges even when one is staying at a $2500 per night suite. This kind of silly nickel and diming is one of the two main reasons my wife and I never rent rooms like that anymore. IMHO, if I'm paying 3-5 times what a standard room costs, that should include parking, internet, local phone calls, etc..
Old Aug 24, 2007, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by horseguy
<snip>IMHO, if I'm paying 3-5 times what a standard room costs, that should include parking, internet, local phone calls, etc..
just chiming in to say how much it chaps me when the Very Expensive hotel i've booked on holiday does this. we had this experience at the mo chiang mai and it annoyed the heck outta me. for $795 a night you can throw in the internet, thanks!

i'm typing this now on the free wifi at la casa que canta in zijuataneho. funny, they say they don't have wifi in the rooms, (it is free in the lobby and there are free computers in 'the internet room') but it works just fine. ^
Old Mar 5, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: SPG: Plat; Amex: Plat.; Star Alliance: Gold, One World: Gold
Gym charge

I styed at Kämp hotel (Starwood Luxury Collection) in Helsinki, Finland. They carged me 10 euros = 15 USD for the use of gym. It is a very small, in-house, one room gym.
I have never before been charged for the use of gym in a luxury hotel. I can understand gym charge in a lower category hotel but not in very expencive 5*.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I share your views, but the Kamp is not the only one that charges. IIRC, the Ritz-Carlton in Chicago (a Four Seasons hotel) used to; I think they may have dropped the charge now. I'm quite certain the Berkeley in London charged me when I stayed there a couple of years ago.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, I've found that annoyance charges in general are more common at luxury hotels than at lower level accomodations. I think they figure they have rich folks or expense account folks staying there and can get away with it more easily.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Actually, I've found that annoyance charges in general are more common at luxury hotels than at lower level accomodations. I think they figure they have rich folks or expense account folks staying there and can get away with it more easily.
rich people (i am speaking for others, not myself )...hate those incidental charges as much as everyone else
Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

These charges also can be observed at a lot of hotel properties in Japan. :P

Sanosuke!
Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by DADISGARYK
rich people (i am speaking for others, not myself )...hate those incidental charges as much as everyone else
Totally agree. The European and Australian tendency to charge US$30+ a day for internet access is my prime irritant.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:36 am
Suspended

The colloquial term for it is 'nickel and diming'. They charge you for every little thing. As someone pointed out, it's generally nicer hotels that do this. The worst example of this I have seen (not in the luxury category obviously) is the O'Hare Hilton charging you $5 to get the toothbrush kit out of the minibar when even the Comfort Inns in the area do this for free. Didn't make for a happy guest when I was stuck there without luggage.

In the end, it's really the manager who makes these decisions. I'd advocate anyone to write the chain directly and complain about it. Charging for a gym that was likely put there to get the checkbox of on site fitness facility on a booking website is a bit much. Some sites who have excellent modern fitness facilities charge as well, but at least then you're getting some value for your money. In the end though, it really should be included in the room rate. It's just a hotel manager trying to get revenue that they can't get in the room rate given their market.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: BMI Silver, UA MP, OnePass
These charges may be annoying when you want to use these facilities but think about it: They keep the hotel rates for everybody down. If internet and gym was included you would pay for it indirectly via a higher hotel rate.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by jackthebox
These charges may be annoying when you want to use these facilities but think about it: They keep the hotel rates for everybody down. If internet and gym was included you would pay for it indirectly via a higher hotel rate.
Well, heck, then why not an extra charge on a per-towel basis? Or a per-light electrical charge, it could be done with a meter on each lamp? If that doesn't define luxury, I don't know what does.

The expectation at the high end is that some things should be routinely included. These include the gym and internet access to me, even if I don't use them, I get annoyed seeing that there is extra charge.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:56 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Thanks to a suggestion by another flyertalker I have merged the threads Gym charge and Nickel and dimed into one thread for housekeeping reasons. The redirect of the other thread will vanish in the next days.

ralfkrippner, co-moderator
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:26 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life
Annoying fees

My partner and I just returned from a trip to Japan and spent the last few days in the RC Tokyo on Club floor. The service lived up to our expectations and the stay was very enjoyable. But one thing was rather unpleasant: We were using the pool (which was free) but upon entering the spa the staff confronted us with a fee of 2.100Yen (13€, 20$) per person for using a locker. Of course, they were very nice, but this didn't make it any better.

I would have happily paid it for using the pool, if I knew about the fee beforehand but asking for a locker fee and stating the use of the pool is free ist just wrong.

What do you think? Any other "annoying" fees in Luxury Hotels you can think of?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.