Search

North Island in Seychelles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good to know virtuoso's magazine is online. ^

direct link to north island article >
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/virt...hp?startid=130

article mentions "10 new spa suites attached to villas next year" during renovations. and the 3 new villas are indeed going to be larger "family-oriented dwellings."

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 26, 2008 at 11:08 pm
Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
There was a small write up on page 130 of this month's Virtuoso mag. As mentioned, it confirms the price tag of the villas.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/virtuosolife/200807/
Great article find! ^

The photos and write-up are excellent, and definitely has me looking forward to visiting. I received an email from one of the North Island associated travel agents (you can't book the hotel directly) who confirmed the property's closing and renovation dates next year.

Think I will definitely wait until after the renovations to visit and see what the three new larger villas are all about, and also for the expanded spa which sounds great. Hopefully by then the Euro will have eased up a bit as well.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
If I decided to return to the Seychelles, I think I would seriously consider a very small cruise ship as a base.
Obscure2k -- I'm completely with you! When my husband and I went last year, we saw many of the islands over an 11-day period on board an 82-foot catamaran. We had hotel stays on Mahe on both ends (Hilton Northolme and Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove) but the highlight of the trip was waking up to a new island each morning, diving off the bow and then sitting down to a great breakfast. The Seychelles has got to be one of the most amazing places on earth and limiting oneself to just one island is a shame.

We booked the by-the-room catamaran cruise through Dream Yacht Charters: http://www.dreamyachtcharter.com/uk/..._la_cabine.asp
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:35 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by jgold
Hopefully this isn't hijacking the thread too much. We're currently looking into the following Seychelles itinerary:

Mahe 1 day
Bird Island 3 days
Praslin (Lemuria?) 5 days
Denis/Desroches Island 5 days
I have been to Desroches but it was sooo long ago I doubt my info is still relevant. It was a very nice (modest, not luxury) resort and we also chose it for supposedly the best diving short of Aldabra. But then we didn't dive! We just snorkelled and rode bicycles around the island ducking for the huge palm spiders on webs strung out between the trees. Desroches is very isolated and quite a long flight in a cramped Twin Otter. Bird is similarly remote but in the northerly direction. My sister has been there twice so it must have impressed her.

Frankly, I'm not sure I would do both, or even one, if I ever went back to Seychelles. The inner islands are granitic and those are the ones with the spectacular landscapes. La Digue is a short hop from Praslin and well worth a look - though you can also do it as a day trip from Praslin. IMO the outer islands don't have much to offer unless you are a committed naturalist or ardent diver.

As for Meridien Barbarons, it is pretty out of the way on Mahe. I had lunch there while touring the island a few years back and it seemed nice enough. Depending on what you want to do you perhaps could get something on Beauvallon Bay where there is a very long, lovely beach and lots happening (by Seychelles standards). Either way I'd ask the hotel to quote airport transfers because it is a fair distance.

Since none of the hotels or resorts you mention is in the luxury category (as I understand this forum's definition) you may have done yourself a disservice posting here. Better information might be had on the Africa and Starwood forums.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta, Air France
My information is dated, but we went to Bird Island on a trip to the Seychelles a number of years ago. Since then, a number of nice hotels have opened, but then there were very few. We didn't like the Bird I. hotel, but all of the flights back to Mahe were completely booked. We ended up taking an inter-island ferry in very rough seas back to Mahe, then arrived at the Meridien and enjoyed it immensely. The pool was large enough to do laps and not be bothered by anyone. It doesn't seem to me to have been that out-of-the-way; the scenary was gorgeous.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Which is closer to any type of sightseeing (if there is any...other than the gorgeous scenery)?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I was surprised to learn how many people actually go island hopping between hotels when in the Seychelles. Apparently this is a regular occurrence. What are peoples' concerns with Fregate, and what is the nightlife like on Praslin and Mahe? Does anyone have any recommendations or experience?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I was surprised to learn how many people actually go island hopping between hotels when in the Seychelles. Apparently this is a regular occurrence. What are peoples' concerns with Fregate, and what is the nightlife like on Praslin and Mahe? Does anyone have any recommendations or experience?
You really do not go to the Seychelles for nightlife. These islands are all about perfect turquoise waters, fine sand beaches and unique bird life - a naturalist's dream. The idea is to swim and snorkel, laze in the sun with a good book and leave the world behind.

However, spending two weeks or even 10 days in one place can be a little predictable, as the best resorts are very small and select. This is why many people split their stay between two islands - at the very high end, maybe between Fregate Island Private (now nicely refurbished) and North Island (the eco-choice). Lower down the scale, Lemuria on Praslin and Banyan Tree on Mahe would make a good pairing.

There is little else of note, apart of course from the new Four Seasons Seychelles, with Markus Iseli as opening GM. Given how the service in the Seychelles often leaves a lot to be desired, the Four Seasons could end up being the best option. Last I heard, the resort will open towards the end of January 2009.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone comment on why exactly people would want to go to La Digue since it's expensive to get there? What are peoples' favorite things to do there any why di they take the trouble to go?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:24 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Can anyone comment on why exactly people would want to go to La Digue since it's expensive to get there? What are peoples' favorite things to do there any why di they take the trouble to go?
La Digue expensive to get to? Not if you are already at Mahe. Then you can take the special boats which is cheap, fast (60 minutes transfer from Mahe to Praslin and then 30 minutes onwards to get to La Digue) and convenient. There are many really beautiful beaches there and amazing rocks. I would, however, always try to do some island hopping when in the Seychelles so that you get to see as much as possible of the very different paradise islands.

Maybe you mean expensive to get to Seychelles in general?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:28 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
You really do not go to the Seychelles for nightlife. These islands are all about perfect turquoise waters, fine sand beaches and unique bird life - a naturalist's dream. The idea is to swim and snorkel, laze in the sun with a good book and leave the world behind.

However, spending two weeks or even 10 days in one place can be a little predictable, as the best resorts are very small and select. This is why many people split their stay between two islands - at the very high end, maybe between Fregate Island Private (now nicely refurbished) and North Island (the eco-choice). Lower down the scale, Lemuria on Praslin and Banyan Tree on Mahe would make a good pairing.

There is little else of note, apart of course from the new Four Seasons Seychelles, with Markus Iseli as opening GM. Given how the service in the Seychelles often leaves a lot to be desired, the Four Seasons could end up being the best option. Last I heard, the resort will open towards the end of January 2009.
There are a number of updated threads about the FS Seychelles. Do a search. We were there in October last year which was generally very good, however, some service issues. THe GM Markus Iseli left FS Seychelles shortly after our visit. The new GM is Alastair McAlpine, previously GM of FS Kudaa Huraa; Maldives.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Musken
There are a number of updated threads about the FS Seychelles. Do a search. We were there in October last year which was generally very good, however, some service issues. THe GM Markus Iseli left FS Seychelles shortly after our visit. The new GM is Alastair McAlpine, previously GM of FS Kudaa Huraa; Maldives.
Yes, I know Markus Iseli left. They are still struggling with service issues, although the spa seems to be on top of things now. This is not an easy destination in which to achieve great service.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

maybe he was focused elsewhere when move was coming up?

bummer if true, and that koh samui also seems to have gone downhill, although it may have taken a little while to get up to speed initially, dont recall dates of reports exactly. might also be forgetting more recent reports.
Old May 10, 2011, 1:00 pm

No updates on North Island recently...perhaps William and Kate will do a trip report when they get back from their honeymoon: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ma...nue?CMP=twt_fd
Old May 11, 2011, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by paul2
No updates on North Island recently...perhaps William and Kate will do a trip report when they get back from their honeymoon: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ma...nue?CMP=twt_fd
Love the Guardian's maths - ''At £1,957 per person per night – the average honeymoon for two people costs £3,220'' . I want to go if that's all it costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.