Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Santorini: consolidated thread (combined 1/17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Santorini: consolidated thread (combined 1/17)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:50 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
I think that's already a given...for anyone whose been in the FT community over a year.
I'd have told you to scope out hot men for our next stay, but I still have @MacMyDay waiting for me.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:02 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'd have told you to scope out hot men for our next stay, but I still have @MacMyDay waiting for me.
Always good to have a contingency plan, though!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Air con. Air con. Air con.

Mystique.

Did I mention air con?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:19 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

At Mystique now and so far very impressed. The service is at the level one would expect at a Luxury hotel. We are in the Mystery Villa which is very private and has stunning views from our deck and even bedroom.

The hotel graciously heated our private plunge pool to a temperature where we were able to comfortably enjoy it until 11:30 last night. They are also allowing us to have our breakfast on our private view terrace.

And BHR- the air con works great 👍

Will post a full review when we are home.

Last edited by damon88; Oct 13, 2018 at 3:39 am
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:28 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by damon88
At Mystique now and so far very impressed. The service is at the level one would expect at a Luxury hotel. We are in the Mystery Villa which is very private and has stunning views from our deck and even bedroom.

The hotel graciously heated our private plunge pool to a temperature where we were able to comfortably enjoy it until 11:30 last night. They are also allowing us to have our breakfast on our private view terrace.

And BHR- the air con works great ��

Will post a full review when we are home.

So happy for you guys. Enjoy and relax. Enjoy that view. And thanks for that beautiful air con evaluation.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:52 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

So happy for you guys. Enjoy and relax. Enjoy that view. And thanks for that beautiful air con evaluation.

I think you would like it Bill- if you booked the right room. My husband didn’t love the crazy stairs, and the rooms and furnishings are more stark and sparse than most luxury properties. But it’s the Santorini aesthetic.

The views are phenomenal (and we are a bit jaded, accustomed to La Jolla and Laguna Beach panoramas- so harder to WoW us) and the service is top notch- really some of the best we’ve experienced. There is a friendly attentive staff and an accommodating attitude (They graciously extended a late checkout today for instance)

I think we had an even better experience because we came at the end of the season. We really lucked out with flawless weather which would be the only reason booking in October could be iffy. (They close in a few weeks)
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:28 am

For full disclosure - I have not been to Santorini yet, so obviously cannot provide first hand opinion...but I am planning a trip there and looking at various properties...I noticed Katikies is almost uniformly considered THE best place to stay there (along with Mystique and perhaps Andronis)...but is it really?...from the pictures I see, to me Canaves Oia Suites looks it should probably take that place...here is a link to a blog summarizing (with pictures, pros/cons) the top hotels in Santorini:
https://theluxurytravelexpert.com/20...els-santorini/
I know opinions are subjective, and it matters if you stay on points or have status (Mystique) or pay out of pocket ...but to me Canaves Oia Suites seems like it should be at the top of the list (and it is in that blog)...am I missing something?...can anyone who stayed there comment?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:14 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
5 room, curious re occupancy >
erosantorini.com
open in winter with heated pool

separately, IIRC in a different area >
I am interested in this property for fall 2019. I read that the entire property is typically booked during the summer months. Come fall as demand drops, individual rooms will be rented out. Has anyone stayed here? Any sense of when they begin to allow individual bookings?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting, sounds like last minute only for peak

jul > sep 14 shows exclusive use rate (2283 per BR)
2853 (before 50% prepaid discount) jun sep
1997 (before 50% prepaid discount) oct mar apr may
(regular rates are 30% nonrefundable, 21 day cancel)
(deposit comparison: 856 vs 1427 and 599 vs 999)
(not seeing how far in advance prepaid requires)
671 nov dec
jan feb closed

Ground Floor Suite with outdoor Whirlpool and Caldera View
Split-level Suite with outdoor Whirlpool and Caldera View
SPA Suite (Honeymoon) with outdoor Whirlpool and Caldera View
Family Two-Bedroom Suite with Outdoor Pool and Caldera View

floorplans and estate map >
erosantorini.com/images/EROSANTORINI-_FACT-SHEET.pdf
designhotels.com/hotels/greece/santorini/erosantorini/rooms
erosantorini.com/media-center/pri-ut-dicit-saperet-mnesarchum
mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-hotels/erosantorini
erosantorini.com/media-center/soluta-signiferumque-mel-ad
Largest infinity pool [35m] on the island, heated Jacuzzis at each suite, and a second full-size heated pool [7m]
not seeing it say main pool is heated?
says heated pool, not private to 2BR?

through end of this month designhotels has half board and spa treatment

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 15, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by in4tar
I noticed Katikies is almost uniformly considered THE best place to stay there (along with Mystique and perhaps Andronis)...but is it really?...from the pictures I see, to me Canaves Oia Suites looks it should probably take that place...

I know opinions are subjective, and it matters if you stay on points or have status (Mystique) or pay out of pocket ...but to me Canaves Oia Suites seems like it should be at the top of the list (and it is in that blog)...am I missing something?...can anyone who stayed there comment?
Full disclosure: I also have never been to Santorini, but was planning for a stay this fall and now again for next fall.

I actually think what you're witnessing is the fact that there are several small boutique luxury properties that all have wonderful views, excellent service and food/beverage, very nice accommodations of varying sizes and ambience, and preferred locations based on personal preferences. The problem is the need to put any one or two "on top" instead of considering that there actually are several which are truly outstanding.

Ranking has its weaknesses, and I think you just peeled back the nonsense that can occur when you have to have something ranked above something else. Santorini doesn't seem to have one or two obvious best properties, much as some need that to be the case.

The real question isn't about what's best; the real question, almost always more difficult to answer, is what's best for you.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:06 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
For full disclosure - I have not been to Santorini yet, so obviously cannot provide first hand opinion...but I am planning a trip there and looking at various properties...I noticed Katikies is almost uniformly considered THE best place to stay there (along with Mystique and perhaps Andronis)...but is it really?...from the pictures I see, to me Canaves Oia Suites looks it should probably take that place...here is a link to a blog summarizing (with pictures, pros/cons) the top hotels in Santorini:
https://theluxurytravelexpert.com/20...els-santorini/
I've just returned from Katikies and visited all their properties, both in Santorini and Mykonos.

I will say that Canaves Oia is actually next to Katikies and it is also highly regarded, to your point. But what I like a lot about Katikies is that some aspects of their services reminds me of Amans (assuming you find Aman values to be appealing, some may not). Katikies resorts have between 18 - 27 rooms at each of their properties. They do not allow non-guests to come on site for meals, etc..that's something I love/value! By day 2 of my visit, some staff members were able to engage me by name and not having to be asked for room number. Not all staff but enough to where I noticed and was pleasantly surprised by it. I dined at multiple Katikies properties and all were better than what I was expecting. I'm not in anyway saying it's the best resort I've ever been to but I can see why they are often regarded as the best in Santorini and Mykonos.

I don't think you can go wrong wither either Katikies or Canaves, though. So, that's the good news
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:09 pm

Full disclosure: I also have never been to Santorini, but was planning for a stay this fall and now again for next fall.
So if you don't mind my asking - which property (-ies) you chose for your stays? ...I am asking because from your various posts I find your taste at least somewhat similar to mine (besides, I love some good air-conditioning, too!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:14 pm
Suspended

So if you don't mind my asking - which property (-ies) you chose for your stays? ...I am asking because from your various posts I find your taste at least somewhat similar to mine (besides, I love some good air-conditioning, too!
^ to great air con!

I'm strongly considering Mystique along with the others previously mentioned. Mystique is located right next to Katikies and has the same excellent levels of service and food/beverage--plus the air con is assured based on recent reviews and tests. And it offers me the chance to earn substantial points (we'd likely pay for the Mystery Villa rather than hope for the upgrade we want) and benefit from my Ambassador status with elevated service/perks.

It would take a better rate for a comparably top of the line villa/suite for us to consider another property beyond Mystique.
damon88 and in4tar like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 16, 2018 at 6:29 am
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:29 am
SPG 5+ Badge

^ to great air con!

I'm strongly considering Mystique///along with the others previously mentioned. Mystique is located right next to Katikies and has the same excellent levels of service and food/beverage--plus the air con is assured based on recent reviews and tests. And it offers me the chance to earn substantial points (we'd likely pay for the Mystery Villa rather than hope for the upgrade we want) and benefit from my Ambassador status with elevated service/perks.

It would take a better rate for a comparably top of the line villa/suite for us to consider another property beyond Mystique.

As you said, I am certain there are comparable properties in Santorini, but Plat100 + A makes Mystique a no brainer for you IMHO.

There are also probably more than one excellent boat companies for private Sunset tours but we absolutely loved ours. (We opted for a small Yacht rather than a Catamaran)

BTW- Grande Bretagne hooked us up on our last night in Athens - with a stunning Executive Suite with a huge private Acropolis view terrace. I wish I had BHR’s work ethic when it comes to reviews, but will diligently try to post when we get home. So far, so great on this trip. Our first major trip post-August finds at least Legacy SPG Luxury properties providing the service we are accustomed to. Now on to Domes of Elounda 🤞. We ended up switching the Villa we booked at Blue Palace to one at Domes based mainly on FT reports. Hopefully they will live up to expectations.

bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by damon88; Oct 16, 2018 at 1:44 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:30 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Has anyone here stayed at Canaves Oia Epitome and how does it compare to the original property? We visited Petra restaurant at Canavas last time and we were thinking of returning to stay at the hotel. But the new Canaves Epitome looks intriguing though seems to be in a more isolated part of town maybe without the caldera view?

How does Canavas Epitome compare generally to other favourites on here which seem to be Katikies and Mystique.

Thank you in advance!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.