Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Santorini: consolidated thread (combined 1/17)

Santorini: consolidated thread (combined 1/17)

Reply

Old Jun 23, 08, 7:58 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 428
Santorini: consolidated thread (combined 1/17)

I'm planning a special trip for my girlfriend and myself and I've set my sight on Santorini as it seems to be rated #1 in many spots for its sunset and the the gf has a thing for sunsets ...

SO .... after reading a few things here and there I thought I'd get a booking at Mystique until I read one of the posts today that said that while it has a view of the caldera, it doesn't actually have sunset view???

On the other hand, Ikies' homepage claims that it has sunset views so I'm tempted to book this, but I can't seem to find any availability for next May and the site keeps telling me the hotel is still in its "winter hours" mode.

Is this a case of the hotel already sold out or a website issue?

Also ... my criteria at this point are: privacy, service, sunset views.

Suggestions?
t1nt1n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 08, 11:13 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,113
Santorini sunsets

Originally Posted by t1nt1n View Post
I'm planning a special trip for my girlfriend and myself and I've set my sight on Santorini as it seems to be rated #1 in many spots for its sunset and the the gf has a thing for sunsets ...

SO .... after reading a few things here and there I thought I'd get a booking at Mystique until I read one of the posts today that said that while it has a view of the caldera, it doesn't actually have sunset view???

On the other hand, Ikies' homepage claims that it has sunset views so I'm tempted to book this, but I can't seem to find any availability for next May and the site keeps telling me the hotel is still in its "winter hours" mode.

Is this a case of the hotel already sold out or a website issue?

Also ... my criteria at this point are: privacy, service, sunset views.

Suggestions?
The first thing you need to know is that it is not very warm in May. Last year when we were there it rained for almost a week. The weather picks up in June, which is a much better time to go. When it's pouring with rain you don't tend to get great sunsets.
Ikies is very basic but is a nice, welcoming place. Beds are hard, so maybe not as romantic as you hoped.
Mystique is a Starwood. I was not impressed by this place at all (apart from comfier beds). It is in the wrong part of Oia - not as pretty as further down the road, away from the town.
For the best sunsets, opt for either Katikies or Kirini. You can fill a whole memory card snapping the sunsets at both these little hotels. Beds are comfortable, too.
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 08, 7:36 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 428
Wow. And here I thought Mystique or Ikies would've wowed the crowd.

I'll check out Katikies and Kirini -- thanks for the heads-up.

Anyone else? Seems like about a year ago or so this was a very hot topic ...

Added: Also, I was thinking of going the last few days of May and running into the first week of June. Still bad?

Last edited by t1nt1n; Jun 24, 08 at 7:42 pm
t1nt1n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 08, 8:53 pm
  #4  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puget Sound Area, WA
Posts: 6,596
We were there in late April.... perhaps we lucked out.... the weather was beautiful.

I was under the impression the only place to see the sunset was from the village of Oia. We stayed at Esperas... while not a 5* luxury hotel, it was definately a 4* deluxe hotel and in the true Santorini architecture. We sat every night on our large terrace and watched the sunset.......
david55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 08, 2:21 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 428
Wow. Kirini doesn't exactly have glowing reviews on TripAdvisor and I always thought that their reviews were, for the most part, pretty on the spot.

Esperas seems a bit basic but if it does have a sunset view then it might be worth it. I might consider splitting the trip into two (or three, depending how long I decide to go) hotels.

Another one that's popped-up in my radar is Perivolas but not much of a review on FT. Any thoughts? I saw some pics for Perivolas and I could've sworn it showed the sun setting behind the city ... (???). I'm really looking for a place where we can get the sun setting into the water.

At this point I'll be reading up on Katikies, Esperas, and Perivolas.

Any other thoughts on sunset view at Oia?
t1nt1n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 08, 4:04 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,113
perivolas etc - sunsets

Originally Posted by t1nt1n View Post
Wow. Kirini doesn't exactly have glowing reviews on TripAdvisor and I always thought that their reviews were, for the most part, pretty on the spot.

Esperas seems a bit basic but if it does have a sunset view then it might be worth it. I might consider splitting the trip into two (or three, depending how long I decide to go) hotels.

Another one that's popped-up in my radar is Perivolas but not much of a review on FT. Any thoughts? I saw some pics for Perivolas and I could've sworn it showed the sun setting behind the city ... (???). I'm really looking for a place where we can get the sun setting into the water.

At this point I'll be reading up on Katikies, Esperas, and Perivolas.

Any other thoughts on sunset view at Oia?
Perivolas is right at the end of the bluff overlooking the caldera and does get sunset views, but service there is very arrogant and the beds are like rocks. Also, the food is dreadful. Lovely landscaped walkways, but overall it is overrated.

Kirini has had some problems, true, so maybe you would be better at Katikies, as the rooms/suites are beautiful there, and they have put big walk-in showers in many of the rooms/suites. They get excellent sunsets, but not quite as stunning as those seen from Kirini.

The other place where you can see sunsets from is Imerovigli. There is a good hotel there called La Maltese, but you need to book one of the 2 bi-level suites (not expensive, though). Problem is they do not have a proper pool - just a dipping pool on the terrace. Very attractive hotel, though, and great food.
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 08, 6:26 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 428
Thanks very much again. I'll start investigating Imerovigli as well.

Could you also elaborate a bit on the "hard bed"? Both my GF and I actually prefer harder beds but I'm not sure if by "hard bed" you simply meant firmer than usual or so hard we might as well be sleeping on a rock?

I feel as if I'm working under a tight deadline as it seems that many of these places are pretty popular and it's just about a year away that I plan on going!
t1nt1n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 08, 6:56 am
  #8  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puget Sound Area, WA
Posts: 6,596
Not to complicate issues but seeing a sunset also depends on the time of year. The island is crescent shaped and Imerovigli is in the middle of the crescent....Oia is at one end. All I know is that Oia was overrun everynight with people staying in Imerovigli and Fira who made the pilgrimage to see the sunset set over the water from the cliffs of Oia.

Read tripadvisor on Esperas..... it gets constantly glowing reviews.... and we were not disappointed. Service, food and comfort were excellent. After the G.B. in Athens it was our favorite and most memorable hotel.
david55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 08, 7:18 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 428
Originally Posted by david4455 View Post
Not to complicate issues but seeing a sunset also depends on the time of year. The island is crescent shaped and Imerovigli is in the middle of the crescent....Oia is at one end. All I know is that Oia was overrun everynight with people staying in Imerovigli and Fira who made the pilgrimage to see the sunset set over the water from the cliffs of Oia.
I was afraid someone might bring this up. I've done enough reading and I'm actually in the process of figuring out just where the sun sets during the May/June period. Any astronomers on the forum?

Read tripadvisor on Esperas..... it gets constantly glowing reviews.... and we were not disappointed. Service, food and comfort were excellent. After the G.B. in Athens it was our favorite and most memorable hotel.
Been reading it and unless anyone else chimes in with other suggestions I'm currently down to Esperas and Katikies.
t1nt1n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 08, 7:40 am
  #10  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puget Sound Area, WA
Posts: 6,596
If you go with Esperas..... ask for a Superior Traditional House.....room #121. The terrace was large and private and that room was more than adequete. It is the room we had and it was at the end of the cliff with an unsurpassed view...in fact the pictures on their website of a terrace was this room's terrace. The only "drawback" was that the bed was a loft accessed by steep stairs.

Our friends stayed in a suite...and although larger it felt more claustrophobic and the location on the property was not as good.

Please PM if you have any other questions.... I could also send you photos of the hotel.
david55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 08, 9:08 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,113
Time of year/hard beds etc

Originally Posted by t1nt1n View Post
I was afraid someone might bring this up. I've done enough reading and I'm actually in the process of figuring out just where the sun sets during the May/June period. Any astronomers on the forum?



Been reading it and unless anyone else chimes in with other suggestions I'm currently down to Esperas and Katikies.
I have been several times to Santorini in May and June and there were good sunsets to be seen from both Oia and Imerovigli.

Hard beds: Traditional beds on Santorini are matresses that are put straight onto a block of concrete that is cemented to the floor. This can be very hard indeed unless someone has had the sense to add mattress pillows etc.
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 08, 6:38 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 428
Vuittonofstyle and david4455, thanks very much for your comments!

I've got a pretty good idea of where to stay and am now working on the rest of the itinerary .. Not going to Greece just to hit Santorini.

After this it's time to start looking at flights.

Thanks again!
t1nt1n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 08, 8:44 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,113
Other than Santorini....

if you are staying in Athens, avoid the Grande Bretagne which is a Starwood and full of conventions and tourists. Around the corner is the King George Palace which is smaller, with better service and food and individually designed rooms and suites.

if you need to stop over between flights from Athens to Santorini, the Sofitel at the airport is very good (club floors) and right across the road from the terminals
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 08, 10:56 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 428
After a few searches here and there I'd say that being full of conventions and tourists is the least of GB's faults.

KG seems slightly better but doesn't exactly excite me so far, but definitely looking like the top choice for our initial stay in Athens.

I might consider the Sofitel on the way back from Santorini to Athens (and then flying out the next day).
t1nt1n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 08, 1:02 pm
  #15  
nnn
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Francisco
Programs: All-Around Kettle
Posts: 2,942
I know this is an old thread, but in case you're still looking . . .

We stayed two nights at Mystique in September. My wife and I loved it. There was no sunset view from the hotel, but my impression (at least for September) was that no Oia hotel that was low on the cliff overlooking the caldera would have a sunset view, because the sun sets over the other side of the island. One evening, we walked to the village to see the sunset. Yes, it was beautiful, but I didn't really need to see it more than once. I thought the sunset in Bali was prettier. The view of the caldera that you do get from Mystique, however, is absolutely amazing. I can close my eyes and see the image as if I were still there . . . .
nnn is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread