Need hotel advice for London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need hotel advice for London

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Deluxe rooms at Brown's are pretty spacious, and the Mayfair location is pretty great. I love One Aldwych, but unless you are in a suite, you will find it cramped.
Old May 21, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
I second bearbrick's suggestion of Duke's . http://www.dukeshotel.com/aboutus.asp?id=6

I have been staying there since the early 80's and with the recent redo it is better than ever.

Sam
Old May 24, 2008, 4:28 am

Large deluxe rooms in London

The rooms at the Four Seasons are not small, but as this hotel is closing for a major renovation in September, it is probably not a good idea to choose it.
If you want something elegant and central then the best option is Charlotte Street Hotel or Covent Garden Hotel - both gorgeous boutique classics with good restaurants and service and fabulous decor. Prices, too, are less than the bigger names.
Browns is quite good but very traditional and the bathrooms, although large, are not well finished.
The rooms in One Aldwych are minuscule.
The Halkin is now showing its age and service can be patchy.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 2:55 pm
In memoriam

The last 2 places we stayed at in London meet some of your needs - although neither is a "luxury hotel" - I considered them 4 stars). The first is the Athenaeum (Piccadilly across from Green Park). We had one of the one bedroom apartments which is in a small apartment building around the corner from the hotel proper. Reasonably spacious. The bathroom was somewhat primitive. Note that we were there 10 years ago - so I don't know the current status of the furnishings (they were pretty nice when we were there).

The second is the London Marriott Hotel Park Lane. It's right across the street from Hyde Park at Marble Arch. It's a converted apartment building - and very much a boutique hotel (especially for Marriott). The hotel was reasonably new when we were there in 2004. Our room was quite nice - but on the small side. OTOH - it was fitted out like a boat - efficient use of space. On the third hand - we got the room "free" with Marriott points - and I am sure it was the smallest room available. There should be larger rooms.

The service at both places was excellent - with no hint of snobbery.

Note that we were also considering the Renaissance Chancery Court for the second stay - but its internet service was having lots of problems. Don't know if this is an issue for you - but - if it is - I'd check and see whether the problems have been fixed.

As for the prices in London - they're nuts. But they almost seem reasonable compared to the prices we're looking at for our trip to Paris later this year. Robyn
Old Jun 2, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Variation on London

Okay, so it's my last night in London on Friday, and I want to stay somewhere nice to treat myself.

I've narrowed it down to four choices (but am willing to accept alternative suggestions in the same price range).

MO 245
Jumeirah Carlton 275
Berkeley 290
Four Seaons 305

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
I realize that I am coming late to this thread - but have you considered the Dorchester? It is a block or so from the Four Seasons, the room is huge (my room had a large walk-in closet, a large beautiful bathroom - although the shower was in the tub), the place is elegant and the people watching was fun. I got a nice package on their website which included an upgrade and breakfast. I would not stay in the Four Seasons if it is about to be renovated - having stayed there a few years ago it needed to be renovated then.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The Carlton Tower has probably the finest pool and fitness centre (with a great cafe overlooking Chelsea) in town - that would swing it for me if I was a sports person. Rib Room is good but pricey if you're a rib sort of guy.

Give the FS a miss until after the refurb. It won't feel like a treat stuck in its 1980's nostalgia.

The Berkeley has the (still) trendy Blue Bar and good restaurants, and of course you're well placed for Harrods and Harvey Nicks for some Saturday AM shopping.

The Intercontinental is always worth a look. It only reopened last year and the rooms are excellent, albeit small. Well regarded restaurant as well.

The Soho Hotel is very funky and probably has the best Friday night 'scene' of any of the above.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:27 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Raffles
The Carlton Tower has probably the finest pool and fitness centre (with a great cafe overlooking Chelsea) in town - that would swing it for me if I was a sports person. Rib Room is good but pricey if you're a rib sort of guy.

Give the FS a miss until after the refurb. It won't feel like a treat stuck in its 1980's nostalgia.

The Berkeley has the (still) trendy Blue Bar and good restaurants, and of course you're well placed for Harrods and Harvey Nicks for some Saturday AM shopping.

The Intercontinental is always worth a look. It only reopened last year and the rooms are excellent, albeit small. Well regarded restaurant as well.

The Soho Hotel is very funky and probably has the best Friday night 'scene' of any of the above.
Okay, thanks, so FS is out. I'm really most interested in room size, (bed) comfort, luxury, and (kinda) modernity. Which would you pick?

I've done the FS @ Canary Wharf, not impressed, and I've done the Jumeirah Lowndes and liked it, except for it's tiny rooms. I did the IC, but years ago, and don't remember. The Berkeley looks really nice from the outside, but I have no idea what the rooms look like.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
No idea, since I never stay in London hotels despite being a frequent visitor for meals, conferences, functions, drinks, meals etc.

The Lowndes 'deluxe' rooms are 1/3rd bigger than the standard ones and not much more expensive (albeit 23 sq m is still not enormous). You also get free breakfast with a deluxe room which offsets much of the price difference anyway. You also get access to the health club at the Carlton Tower next door - you may even be able to cross-charge meals but I'm not certain of that.

I might be tempted by The Soho Hotel for a bit of a Friday night blowout, but only if I wanted to spend the evening in the West End. Look at the tripadvisor reviews - it is very well regarded. The neighbourhood certainly isn't Knightsbridge, though!
Old Jun 3, 2008, 6:15 am

Yea, I have exactly the same problem! I never have need to stay in hotels in London, just go into them for various reasons.

Having compared prices, room sizes, and amenities, (and, , tripadvisor reviews), I booked a Park View Executive King at the Berkely for 279.

Will report back.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 6:38 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
My 2

I've been to both the Renaissance CC and Sofitel many times:
Both: Excellent locations with the Renaissance being next to a quieter neighborhood great for getting coffee/goodies in the morning before starting your day.
Renaissance CC is more like a really good 4.5 star, the rooms don't meet the luxe standard you seem to seek IMHO, even though it's my personal favorite in London for location. Sofitel will meet the standard only if you get one of the bigger rooms which you will have to pay dearly for. I've been in a room in the Sofitel with a queen bed and literally 12 inches of space on all three sides. Other rooms can be quite small with a lack of storage space for clothes, etc.
I haven't stayed at the others but you can check them all out at Tripadvisor and get some help.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My vote goes for Grosvenor House (not to be confused w/ Grosvenor Square), which has recently undergone a major renovation.

It's a beautiful property across from Hyde Park (down the street from the Marriott Park Lane, which I've also stayed at & GH beats PL hands down).

The staff there are wonderful. What's the Mastercard ad? Priceless. You would have a wonderful stay anyway, but if you let them know about the 40th anniversary they would probably give you great rooms.

There are a # of threads re: the Grosvenor House in the Marriott forum if you want more details. Up 'til now I think the Ren Chanc Court has been considered the favorite, but think GH is stealing the crown from them. GH will be renamed JW Grosvenor House or JW Marriott in '09, and is being considered by Marriott to be its flagship hotel in London.

Pics are here from my stay in February. Cheers.

http://public.fotki.com/SkiAdcock/ho...-house-london/
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My vote goes for Grosvenor House (not to be confused w/ Grosvenor Square), which has recently undergone a major renovation.

It's a beautiful property across from Hyde Park (down the street from the Marriott Park Lane, which I've also stayed at & GH beats PL hands down).

The staff there are wonderful. What's the Mastercard ad? Priceless. You would have a wonderful stay anyway, but if you let them know about the 40th anniversary they would probably give you great rooms.

There are a # of threads re: the Grosvenor House in the Marriott forum if you want more details. Up 'til now I think the Ren Chanc Court has been considered the favorite, but think GH is stealing the crown from them. GH will be renamed JW Grosvenor House or JW Marriott in '09, and is being considered by Marriott to be its flagship hotel in London.

Pics are here from my stay in February. Cheers.

http://public.fotki.com/SkiAdcock/ho...-house-london/
Is this the Luxury Forum? Since when did the Grosvenor House, which is a convention/banqueting hotel, have a place here? And since when did Marriott? Even JW?
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:12 am

Draycott Hotel

May I recommend the Draycott Hotel in London: www.draycotthotel.com

It's really lovely and would be memorable for your parents, I think. Each room is named after a theatre star, it's old fashioned without being OLD and there is even a lovely garden, plus nice touches like afternoon tea with biscuits, champaign and hot chocolate before bed.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Is this the Luxury Forum? Since when did the Grosvenor House, which is a convention/banqueting hotel, have a place here? And since when did Marriott? Even JW?
Then I guess you should tell the OP to drop Ren Chanc Court from her list, as that's Marriott-owned as well The OP listed a number of properties & asked for some input & gave her criteria. The Grosvenor House met that criteria (regardless of your disdain), especially post-renovation. I've stayed at some of the other properties mentioned (Langham & Dorchester for example) & quite frankly found them over-rated. There are other hotels in London that are better. I'm not saying GH is the best, but it's not the worst by any stretch especially after renovation & again, met the OP's list of items. The nice part about FT is that people can ask for input & get quite a bit of good advice. The other nice part is that usually one can ask for - or give input - without getting dissed

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.