India Trip Report – Imperial, Aman-i-Khas, Amanbagh, Oberoi Amarvilas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:07 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great report as always ^

so at amarvilas both luxury suites are similar to the kohinoor suite, except for the layout of bedroom and shower?

I can't speak for the layout of the kohinoor suite since we didn't see it. But it was close by so the view would be similar. It was also on the top floor but in the middle of the building. I think Nancy Pilosi (sp?) was there when we were.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pauldublin
Ericka, did you hear when Aman Delhi is due to open ?
Still looking at November. They hoped to have Mr. G's wedding there but it was not at all ready for April.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the positive feedback, everybody! Keep the questions coming.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Great trip report!!!

But...
Originally Posted by Ericka
Northern India Trip Report – Imperial, Aman-i-Khas, Amanbagh, Oberoi Amarvilas

... poverty, which is undeniably linked to the caste system. But ironically, the caste system also seems to make the poor, happy. They believe the Gods have chosen this life for them and that blessings come in the form of children. .
your comments on poverty and the caste system seem to be a bit of generalisation. If only the cause of poverty was so simple and obvious........

Last edited by SingaporeDon; Apr 8, 2008 at 8:31 am
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Great trip report!!!

But...

your comments on poverty and the caste system seem to be a bit of generalisation. If only the cause of poverty was so simple and obvious........
True...I really just meant to point out the differences between India and the states (where I'm from).
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't speak for the layout of the kohinoor suite since we didn't see it. But it was close by so the view would be similar. It was also on the top floor but in the middle of the building.
gotcha. from looking at the virtual tour, the master bedroom in kohinoor suite is oriented towards the taj mahal, but the shower appears not to have a view.

speaking of transfers, this might be of interest to some >
http://www.oberoihotels.com/aviation/aviation.asp
Old Apr 8, 2008, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Oberoi aviation? Well, I didn't want to spill the beans but Aman is hoping to set something up like this as well. Expect more "announcements" from Aman in the future with regard to India. All good things.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
But we are glad you did spill the beans...

And thanks for this inspiring trip report. Once mirco DUF is a bit older we might attempt something similar.

By the way, congratulations Kagehitokiri to 6666 posts.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Here are a few pictures from the trip.
I know there are people going to some of these places soon so if you have specific photo requests, let me know. I might have them.

Old Jan 23, 2010, 2:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I studied your trip report religiously, Ericka, when planning my first trip there for this coming October. There's some sad news: Amanbagh no longer will provide the Jeeman dinner in the chatri that you described as a highlight among all Aman dinners you've had. Here's the note I received from Amanbagh when I inquired about the Jeeman dinner after not seeing it in the listing of activities they sent me:

Regarding Aman Jeeman dinner- we have stopped doing it due to the weather & insects at the place. Now we organize the special set up you at our roof top terrace of the main building, totally open to the stars and overlooking the lovely view of our Main Pool and Garden. Looks so good being led up there on the candle lit stairs then the floral rangoli, diyas and candles (Rs.3000++ per person).
Old Jan 23, 2010, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Very sad. When we were there it was perfect weather and no insects, but I imagine that is only the case a few months out of the year.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Thanks Ericka, your pictures are amazing!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:45 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
OBEROI AMARVILAS –

Outside the Taj, we were expecting to run into very aggressive touts. We had heard this about Agra in general. But instead, we were greeted by a young man named Raja. He took the time to introduce himself on our way in. He greeted us again on our way out, and I realized he couldn’t have been more than 12 years-old.
I met Raja as well. Quite the little salesman. You are right, definitely not at school. Very engaging kid. He asked me where I was from, I answered Australia, and he promptly pulled out a small stuffed koala! He made me promise to buy postcards from him on my way out of the Taj which of course I did.

I felt really sorry for some of the kids selling this kind of stuff in India and bought a number of chess sets & backgammon boards. They all ended up going in the rubbish bin I am afraid, friends and family in Australia would have been horrified if I returned from overseas and given them a chess set instead of perfume/wine/cigars, etc.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Ericka - Just saw this. Amazing report. Did you leave Amanbagh very early in the morning to be able to make it to Agra in 3 hours?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:57 am
Original Poster

To be honest, I don't remember what time we left Amanbagh for Agra. I know that because it was Holi, they suggested we change our originally planned time to something earlier, but I don't remember exactly what time we left. I think it was early. If you are at all concerned about it, ask Amanbagh what time they suggest. They make this particular transfer often.

I'm so excited to see you are considering this itinerary. We've been to over a dozen Amans but these were some of our favorites.

To see tigers, make sure you do every game drive while at Aman-i-Khas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.