Wiki Posts
Search

Trump Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2007, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Trump Chicago

The Trump International property in Chicago was slated for opening this month, barring any further safety code holdups. Has anyone booked stayed here yet or booked a stay for the near future?

The ABA preferred rate program for 2008 includes this property at attractive rates. I'm wondering if it merits consideration compared to the usual Chicago lux options (Pen, PK, etc.). The rooms seem to be healthy sized (>= 600 sq ft) and include a kitchen--a nice plus for those who might want to stock up at Fox and Obel for midnight snacks!
Old Dec 21, 2007, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

huh, reservations only shows rooms from Jan 28..

http://www.trumpchicagohotel.com/

looks like theyll have 3BR condohotel units in standard inventory. ^

depending on when youre going / what youre booking, you might also consider suite life @ Pen, it's a better value than ABA for JR and DLX suites.

BTW when does ABA usually update their PDF ratecard?
Old Dec 21, 2007, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

The ABA PDF rate card usually gets updated at the end of December. That said, their online travel portal is showing rates for selected properties for 2008. It looks like rates for an executive suite at the Pen are now $505, whereas a 1100 sq ft. 1BR suite at the Trump is $540.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

suite life (2 nt stay) @ Pen through mar 13 >

840ft2 jr suite - $462.50
887ft2 dlx suite - $587.50

might even be possible to combine that with virtuoso. if their rates go as high as those suites.

dont think trump will be FHR, but maybe it will be virtuoso as well.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 21, 2007 at 5:13 pm
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:28 am

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
I doubt Pen will match the Virtuoso amenities with this promo. I was just there, and the sales manager seemed a bit nervous about the promo.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
I live right down the street from Trump Tower and am beginning to see rooms that appear to be furnished light up at night. Not many, but a few. I have heard that the restaurant will open for Breakfast within the next week or two.

If I were visiting Chicago, and wanted to stay with the best of the best, I would stick with the Pen. Trump tower at this point is still very much a construction site, so I would only stay there if I didnt mind noise or limited range of operations.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:45 am
In memoriam

FWIW - I just booked a four night stay at the Trump for July - it is stay 3 nights - get one free. At this point - I booked the 1 bedroom suite - effective rate of about $700/night. I'll have to see what people here say once the place is open - and decide whether this decision makes sense.

FWIW - I was totally spoiled by my first and only stay at the Pen. I made the reservation in the fall of 2001 - right after the hotel opened - and shortly after 9/11. It was something like $350/night for a junior suite. Don't think I'll see rates like that again anytime soon.

BTW - does anyone know what the ABA rate is for the Trump in July? It would cost me $400 to join the ABA. Doubt it's worth it - but who knows? Robyn
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.abanet.org/ome/front/form/dues/abarate.html
Associates
General Associate: Individuals who are not admitted to practice law in any jurisdiction, but have an interest in the work of the American Bar Association. $175

International Law Associate: International Law Associates are lawyers in other nations who have not been admitted to the bar of any state, territory or possession of the United States. $175
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:40 pm
In memoriam

Both my husband and I are lawyers who have been admitted for more years than I care to mention. So it's $400 for either of us.

BTW - the hotel just called me. We went over a few things. First - the hotel is non-smoking. Except that you can smoke in the room if you pay a per stay "deep cleaning" charge of $250. Second - the internet access is basically wi-fi (which my notebook security systems hate). Upon request - you can get a DSL hook-up (which I assume is a modem) sent up to the room. I had to do that with a hotel in Germany last year. Worked ok.

I think I figured out that this isn't a true hotel. It's "hotel condominiums". I haven't stayed at a "hotel condo" in a long long time (and they were mostly beachfront places in Florida - nothing like this). Does anyone here have any experience with something like this - a high rise large city hotel/condo? Note that there ar a ton of different floorplans when you look at the condo site - but only a couple of hotel reservation choices. So I think it pays to pin down what kind of room you'll be getting when you book. Robyn
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

doh @ $400.

not sure what you mean, plenty of luxury hotels have ownership options. "condohotel" units are almost always included in hotel inventory, while "condo residences" seems to almost always indicate they are not. whether the units can be rented privately varies, as does the minimum rental/lease period.

trump chicago is set up the same was as trump ny, with a (condo)hotel and then tower residences.

from what ive seen at trump ny, the condohotel units can be rented privately, while the tower residences have a 1 year minimum lease. it seems most of the luxury properties in ny have such minimum leases. i was kind of surprised to see the same thing at st regis ft lauderdale, with their condo residences.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 24, 2008 at 3:11 pm
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:10 pm
In memoriam

doh @ $400? I don't know what that means. "Doh" as in the Homer Simpson "doh"? - Department of Health ?

It is not unusual for me to have to cancel trips for one reason or another (when you have elderly parents - or live in hurricane country - it's always a possible). If I joined the ABA - I'd save $220 on this stay (which seems to be my only stay this year at an ABA listed hotel). If I have to cancel - I'd be out $400. I also happen to hate the politics of the ABA. I hate the politics of AARP too - but for $12/year - which always saves me much more than that on hotels - I'll swallow my pride. For $400/year - I think I'll take my chances.

BTW - I didn't see any 3 bedroom hotel floor plans or rates - 2 bedrooms/3 baths was about the largest. Note that the floor plans aren't on the hotel website yet - they're on the condo website - http://www.trumpchicago.com/

Guess with regard to the condo/hotels - I don't get around too much - or think too much about where I'm staying - unless the owners of a condo have let the unit get really run down. I do recall that we used to rent condos/villas in North Carolina when we used to visit my in-laws. The older ones were frequently crummy - but the newer ones were nice.

Anyway - this set-up reminds me of the Trump in New York (only stayed there once but I enjoyed the stay - even though the kitchen was New York tiny - the china was exquisite). And since there are no good deals at the Pen or the Four Seasons in Chicago during the summer months (at least not yet) - the rate at the Trump for this 1 bedroom apt. seems like an excellent value. So I'll keep the reservation I made - and see what kind of feedback the place gets here.

BTW - I can see why TA's hate to do airline tickets these days. This is a trip to a nephew's wedding in the Detroit area. So I wanted to do JAX ---> Chicago ---> Detroit ---JAX. It took me about 20 minutes to make 2 hotel reservations (the Trump - and the Hampton Inn in Brighton MI - AARP discount ). And all day to figure out a reasonable air and car rental combo (without spending $600 on a RT ticket that hubbed through New York or $200/day for a car). On the bright side - I think there are a lot more inexpensive options in terms of one-way fares these days - used to be that one-way fares were more than round trip fares. And FareCompare has gotten really zippy since I last used it maybe a year ago. So I wound up using 3 different airlines for the 3 legs of the trip (was going to rent a car in Chicago and drive to Detroit but the car rental prices for that leg were ridiculous).

Anyway - I look forward to hearing from those of you who stay at the Trump in the months to come. Robyn
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its unfortunate you would have to pay $400 even though you would not be using the membership professionally.

looking at the floorplans, one of the 2BRs (unit 00) connects to an executive (unit 04) on floors 18>27, so thats 10 3BRs. the destination club Exclusive Resorts owns 7 of the "00" units, so only 3 are bookable. reminiscent of RC FLL where they own all 8 3BRs. good for members, bad for everyone else.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 22, 2009 at 8:41 pm
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:41 pm
In memoriam

Yup - it's really stupid that anyone off the street can pay $175 to get the ABA discount - and we'd have to pay $400 even though we're both retired. Yet another reason to dislike the ABA.

FYI - the person I've been speaking to at the hotel about our reservation is Zorica Peric. I can't say she is totally knowledgeable (who can know everything when a place isn't even open?) - but she is willing to look up all of my questions and get back to me. Robyn
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robyng
BTW - does anyone know what the ABA rate is for the Trump in July? It would cost me $400 to join the ABA. Doubt it's worth it - but who knows? Robyn
Robyn, a deluxe king is $350 & deluxe city view king suite is $540. It looks like getting upgrading to a river view will run you an additional $50; otherwise, you get a view of Nordstrom on

Interestingly, the ABA rates at the Pen are the same for a deluxe king and $35 cheaper for an exec suite. The tradeoff seems to be getting a smaller (albeit probably more elegant) room and no kitchen facility in the suite.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Has anyone stayed here yet? I absolutely loved the Trump in NYC a few weeks back and have a reservation here in a couple of weeks. Any thoughts, opinions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.