Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What Would YOU Like? I'm building a private island getaway...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Would YOU Like? I'm building a private island getaway...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA, NW, CO, AA (General Member)
Smile

Mini Golf Course with a putting chipping area
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Babu
12. Housekeeping when I want it, not when convenient to the staff. 3-4 maids at once, so they are in and out quickly.
Aman style >>

Originally Posted by opxzaw
You don't have this natural kindness like in Bali, but I was very impressed with the Amanjena staff. They have a certain pride about them that really impressed me and were very professional and efficient, light years better than everything else we had in Morocco. On our first day we were asked twice for our room number, but never again after that, and those who we had met earlier called us by our name. It is not like Amankila, but I can't complain. The communication worked flawlessly, we never saw housekeeping and where ever we went, they already expected us. On one day we played golf, we left the pavilion shouldering our golf bags, a staff member saw us and almost tripped while rushing to get our bags. They packed our bags full with bottles of water, which we otherwise would have had to buy at the golf course. Our encounters with staff members were very pleasant and one of them was very eager to improve his German by talking with us.
Originally Posted by Ericka
- Staff to guest ratio of up to 5-1
- Extremely personal and sincere service where everyone knows you by name, whether you have met them yet or not
- Daily access and relationship with GM
- Invisible housekeeping and other maintenance services
finally responding to >
Originally Posted by bhd87
They should never say "No."
Originally Posted by jplux
"No" wouldn't exist on the island.
IMHO thats overrated. case in point - while i was at [removed] there were 2 guests scouting the property for an exclusive use booking. (corporate retreat/team-building/etc) i learned from a staff member that they pushed (not sure how hard, they were immediately and politely told "no") the owner/GM to allow them to do something that could potentially lead to >

- disruption of other guests' stay
- hassle of dealing with potential physical/ecological damage to property/grounds and injuries regardless of financial cost to resort
- damaging media coverage following such events regardless of how well the resort handled recovery because it could have been prevented
- industry/government inquiry due to media coverage
- etc

they didnt just make the request/ask about feasibility, they wanted to know why they couldnt, why signing waivers etc wouldnt make a difference, why paying for any damages incurred wouldnt make a difference, etc. if they wanted to do it/pay for it/etc - why couldnt they? clearly they were not used to hearing "no" from people they were paying/offering to pay.

SO in other words IMHO there is always room for "no"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 19, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:31 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of these suggestions are simple, and can be pulled off by even the Four Seaons and Ritz Carltons, but simply are NOT.

1. Learn all my preferences before I arrive. For example, the staff should know before I arrive that I prefer Japanese green tea with breakfast, not coffee like 99% of the population....

3. Printed personal menus created by a personal chef prepared with my preferences in mind. You would already know that my son is allergic to peanuts, and would make sure its totally absent from the menu and my room.

4. The minibar is full of my favorite stuff and brands.

5. Gift wrapped presents for any children. Of course, you would already learned of their age, sex and preferences before we even arrive....

9. Very simple, but simply NOT done (especially in Asia) in the vast majority of cases: call me by my first name. Always. No Mr. Sir, etc. Other people like, Mr., Your Excellency, etc, I know, but I don't. Call everyone what they want to be called....

13. Fresh flowers in the room & bathroomlots of them, changed daily. The kind I want/ like. An in house florist is a good idea.

I'm sure there are 100s of more examples!
So how is the resort supposed to learn all this stuff in advance? Have the guest spend hours filling out questionnaires before arrival? Hire a private detective to snoop around my house and talk to all my friends and relatives?

Just curious how this would be implemented.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think they were expressing displeasure that they have not seen better success with preference cards / internal preference records in his experiences.

i definitely remember people here discussing that, with regards to properties with top notch service - that the staff kept detailed records of guest preferences, far beyond guest submitted forms, to include everything said/heard/seen/etc.

basic things like tea, allergies, minibar, etc are easily requested by the property in advance. the minibar stocking is definitely out there, although it might be more common/consistent with all-inclusive resorts/cruiselines for example. (i personally had experience with it on seabourn last year)

of course, this island property would be more like a villa rental/villa resort, so stocking F&B and other amenities becomes more of a standard than an extra, and preferences might become more a matter of very specific items or HOW the guest wants a particular item stored etc. of course having staff well trained on wine/champagne/etc storage would be a necessity.

two other interesting service related articles ive read this month >
http://www.heliumreport.com/archives...es-in-new-york
It can be hard to tell how typical our experience was, in terms of service, when compared to a regular member. The club obviously wants to impress us – at least that’s what we assume.

We made a last minute reservation, so the customer service team at Private Escapes had to scramble – and we decided to test other aspects, too. We deliberately did not tell the customer service rep when our flight was arriving nor how we were getting from the airport to the unit, when we spoke to him on the Friday. His follow-up was appropriately persistent, however, including an email and a call over the weekend to make sure we were set.

He also warned us that their concierge would be unable to meet us at the unit when we arrived, as she had just broken her foot. But inside was a had-written note from her, a bottle of wine, and lots of information about New York if we needed it – the “Escape Plan.”

Some other observations of what we appreciated: the wireless internet worked flawlessly, there were clear instruction cards in each room for the entertainment systems, a selection of complimentary drinks were in the fridge (not all clubs do this), a daily newspaper (not all clubs do this), and umbrellas by the front door. Our only complaint was that the dining room table was set for a formal dinner – and for us, it looked a little too prepared.

We had one last test for the Private Escapes concierge in New York. We left some dry cleaning at their location, after we had checked out, and then called for it to be delivered to our hotel that same day, assuming they would find a way to get a cab driver to bring it down. But in fact, the concierge herself got in the cab and personally delivered our dry cleaning. It is what you would expect from a Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton, who have a long history of building a service culture. We appreciated that Private Escapes is aiming that high.
http://www.departures.com/articles/haymarket-hotel
Four Seasons used to be the one hotel brand that routinely got service right from the very month it opened a new property. Now the boutiquelike Firmdale Hotels can claim the same accolade: The London-based company (Charlotte Street, The Soho, and Covent Garden Hotels) unveiled the 50-room Haymarket this spring. We stayed there incognito, just four weeks into the debut, and wow—what charm, what attention to detail.

Shigeru, the Japanese German concierge, not only saved us $82 on valet parking by indicating a ticket-free Sunday spot but he also arranged for the parking meter to be fed the following morning before we awoke. My son, a Marmite fan, was given extra minipots to stuff into his pockets by a waiter who noticed his addiction. And my children's nanny, exhausted from her charges, was delivered tea when we arrived, all unasked for.
also somewhat related
http://www.heliumreport.com/archives...nd-coo-of-ciel
Harding emphasized Ciel’s experiential focus, stating the members are more concerned about “what to do and how they’re taken care of than where to go or where to stay.” Ciel’s website supports the claim with its heavy focus on events and activities instead of the typical places and homes of other destination club websites.

Butlers With Culinary Skills

Rather than form a team with hospitality backgrounds, Harding and Ricketts opted to staff homes with butlers from the household management industry. After a 30-year career running software and consulting firms, Harding himself trained to become a butler and chef to manage household services for wealthy people. All but one home has an apartment for the resident Ciel butler who manages local staff and works with designers to “program” the travel experience for members.

Harding says Ciel will offer the “next step [of service] past a concierge.” As an example, he notes a concierge would source tickets to the Super Bowl, whereas Ciel will help its members with the overall experience of the entire event. He also described a trip where “gourmands and wine people will visit the St. Barts home and experience wine tasting for the 6 major wine regions.”

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 24, 2007 at 12:18 am
Old Aug 24, 2007, 6:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So how is the resort supposed to learn all this stuff in advance? Have the guest spend hours filling out questionnaires before arrival? Hire a private detective to snoop around my house and talk to all my friends and relatives?

Just curious how this would be implemented.
Richard,

I don't think it would take hours, just maybe 20-30 minutes. I envision more multiple choice questions vs. free form. To make it as easy as possible, I would allow the guest to do it via telephone, web or paper mail...whatever they prefer. Of course, the questionnaire is not mandatory--just an option that would allow for better service.

Also, I am guessing the type of people that could afford this place have personal butlers and secretaries at home who would do the paperwork (this is what happens for my boss typically, who appears to be a candidate for this type of resort).

Last edited by Babu; Aug 24, 2007 at 6:52 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 24, 2007, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
in-room/villa checkin is no longer unusual.
I agree with you that its no longer unusual, but I am surprised by how often its NOT done. Just this week at the Ritz Carlton in SIN, I spent 15 minutes at the front desk.

And in cases where it was done in room, they still filled all the paperwork in the room while I waited impatiently on the bed. I always wondered why all that can't be done in advance. I am always itching to get into my room and hit the shower...without the staff getting in my way.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:34 pm

I knew I would think of more things!

14. Multilingual butlers (among them, they should be able to speak English, French, Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, and Japanese). While I can manage in French, I am much more comfortable in English. I assume the opposite is true for a Frenchman.

15. An awesome kids club. Just copy the MO-CNX. My 2 kids were the only ones there last year, and were treated like royalty. These kids have been all over the world (no joke); but to this day, they tell me Thailand was their favorite vacation. In large part, its because of the club--even though they were there a sum total of only 3 days out of the 10 days. Just looking at the pics the staff took tells a thousand words.

16. I think the photographer that someone recommended is a brilliant idea. But I would tread lightly in the case of celebrity guests, who are probably photographed too much for their liking already. I would ask them their preferences first, before shooting.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:40 pm

Bitter End in Tortola - can take a small sailing boat for the day, lessons for wind sailing, etc. Yacht into the island and stay either on boat or on land Have all amenities available for those who sail in. Have ferry service for boats moored at the island to take peple in to restaurant,etc
Deep sea fishing with GOOD captains who WILL come back with a catch
With the unusual features of your proposed island what about some rock climbing adventure availability, etc Not just another luxury island hotel but special because of the location
Old Aug 31, 2007, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yacht into the island and stay either on boat or on land Have all amenities available for those who sail in. Have ferry service for boats moored at the island to take peple in to restaurant,etc
while guests might be allowed to yacht in, i think the idea is to not allow anyone else near the place

it seems pretty far from Wakaya and Fiji too.. might only be really feasible from some closer private islands - apparently Mel Gibson's is 30km away. hmm, interesting it seems he was originally interested in Vatu Vara but they wouldnt sell, wonder if hes trying to trade up right now. seems it came on the market only a year after he wanted to buy... guess they didnt want to sell to him?

edit >
another awesome design feature
http://www.vacationhomes.com/pictures/24013_3.jpg
@ http://www.cometocabo.com/Casa_Alcini.asp

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.lu...10/capcana.jpg
<beachfront pool villa> @ RC Cap Cana
(another example of good pool location - on the beach)

@ FS Hualalai
Service is peerless: Pool attendants distribute chilled towels for your brow; scuba lessons are complimentary. And one of the resort's five pools is a saltwater pond carved out of black-lava rock filled with reef fish.
http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/16/hot..._slide_11.html

and for record-breaking purposes >

MO Sanya ~ 36K ft2
Vale O @ Wakaya Club ~ 12K ft2 set on 16 acres

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 16, 2007 at 10:21 pm
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM, EK PL
[QUOTE=Kagehitokiri;8233378]15 villas on 1000 acre island??

Norman's Cay in the Bahamas is about 400 acres, and supposed to have both Aman and Setai resorts / villas.

Norman's is 1,100 acres....
Old May 16, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Some more that come to mind...

- Fast, reliable internet in villas, beaches, and designated common areas.

- Personal transportation for each guest, like on Mustique, Biras Creek or Fowl Cay. Mustique has mules (motorized, rugged golf carts), Biras has bikes, and Fowl Cay has Boston Whalers.

- Villas where one can step out of their door and into the water, overwater bungalow style, or at the water. They don't all have to be like that, but this can be a fun option.

- Good sailing kit, not just wimpy sunfish and low-end hobies.

- An option for unlimited everything: spa services, wine, excursions and activities, etc. It would be best for this to be standard, but at least if it was an option, it could be available for guests who truly want to not have to deal with any accounting while on vacation.

- On-site doctor

- Stuff for hangovers

- A stash of robes for petite people. I'm 5'1"/under 100 lbs, and the regular robes never fit well. It would probably be a good idea to have robes for big people, too.

- diapers. nannies. as much of the kids' stuff parents would normally have to pack up and take with them as possible.

- I love the idea that One resort has... can't think of the name... where each guest has both an on-land villa and a skippered, traditional, local-style yacht. Guests can sleep in the villa or onboard and take the yacht out for the day whenever they want.

- A customized gift in the room each night related to what the guest did that day. For a guest with a sweet tooth who went diving, a dessert which somehow incorporates the sealife seen in the water that day: marzipan or something like that. After a day spent sailing, a tote bag made of sailcloth could be given, For a couple who went ziplining, two linked caribeners inscribed with their names and the dates could be left after turndown. One night the couple could return to find candles lit and an extra romantic turndown with the tub filled with flowers in the water, etc.
Old May 25, 2008, 5:36 am

The most important thing....

The most important thing to do before you finalise any plans is to bring in a top notch General Manager, or better still a top notch management company to oversee your dreams - then maybe you will get it right. Most don't.
Old May 30, 2008, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by swise
- I love the idea that One resort has... can't think of the name... where each guest has both an on-land villa and a skippered, traditional, local-style yacht. Guests can sleep in the villa or onboard and take the yacht out for the day whenever they want.
Sounds like Dhoni Mighili in the Maldives.
Old May 30, 2008, 11:15 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that the OP hasn't posted anything since last October, I am guessing this proposed resort is either a dead concept or under construction, probably the former!
Old May 30, 2008, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Richard,

I don't think it would take hours, just maybe 20-30 minutes. I envision more multiple choice questions vs. free form. To make it as easy as possible, I would allow the guest to do it via telephone, web or paper mail...whatever they prefer. Of course, the questionnaire is not mandatory--just an option that would allow for better service.

Also, I am guessing the type of people that could afford this place have personal butlers and secretaries at home who would do the paperwork (this is what happens for my boss typically, who appears to be a candidate for this type of resort).
20-30 minutes ! Too much time for me. They can deal with it by doing basic things that many luxury hotels still screw up - monitor my preferences while I am there, keep track of them in the system, and actually try to deliver on the next stay (and not just choice of newspaper). The only place I have been to that does a pretty good job of this (at least for me) is One Aldwych and maybe the Pen Tokyo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.