Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by MattEvan
Tapas Bar Molecular is awful. Avoid at all costs. Major Michelin star baited tourist trap.
I ate at the Tapas Molecular Bar about 3 years ago, and unfortunately I must concur with your comment.

Food was ok, but not spectacular. I've been to molecular places where the taste was absolutely an afterthought--in this case it wasn't that bad, but it certainly didn't wow you.

And the molecular/presentation aspect was good, but not really all that inventive. Perhaps they've upped their game in the past 3 years, but at the time most of what they did I had seen before. From memory there were probably 3-4 quite excellent dishes, but at that level every dish needs to be a stunner.

Now, to be fair, I had just eaten at Narisawa 2 days prior, which is leagues ahead of Tapas Molecular Bar. Narisawa was easily one of the top dining experiences of my life, so an incredibly difficult act to follow....
Old May 17, 2017, 1:05 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Go with R-C club level.

My second choice is Mandarin Oriental.

I am also a fan of Andaz Tokyo, but it's entirely possible that I'm treated better than most guests there. It has mixed reviews, but it's definitely a beautiful property worth trying in my opinion.
I'm writing this from the Andaz Tokyo. My 3rd stay here. It's high occupancy and I didn't receive an upgrade this time, but it's still one of my favorite hotels in the world.

The Prince Gallery would be my other favorite.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I just had my second stay there at the weekend, was good the first time, this time even better with some of the small issues I experienced previously ironed out. The hotel is physically stunning, possibly the most beautiful in Tokyo.
I was thinking got booking that or the Right Carlton. How is the location of the Prince gallery? And how is the service, etc?
Old May 17, 2017, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by surftb15
I was thinking got booking that or the Right Carlton. How is the location of the Prince gallery? And how is the service, etc?
Neither is in a fantastic location, but like all of Tokyo, it depends on what you want to be near.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:46 am

Neither is in a fantastic location, but like all of Tokyo, it depends on what you want to be near.
At least with RC you can walk around to Roppongi bars, does the same exist for Prince Gallery?
Old May 17, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by surftb15
At least with RC you can walk around to Roppongi bars
I can't see how that's a pro.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I just had my second stay there at the weekend, was good the first time, this time even better with some of the small issues I experienced previously ironed out. The hotel is physically stunning, possibly the most beautiful in Tokyo.
Well I booked the Prince gallery with the 4 night free through DavidO. FYI the luxury collection rate has a 4 night free.

Last edited by surftb15; May 17, 2017 at 10:28 am
Old May 17, 2017, 10:38 am

Yes, most of those places are to be avoided! It's otherwise a great location.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Yes, most of those places are to be avoided! It's otherwise a great location.
It's close-ish to Azabu Juban, too, so that's good!
Old May 17, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'm checking in to the Prince Gallery today; which remains my favorite hotel in Tokyo and in SPG.

The location is great; being on top of a subway station and minutes walk from Akasaka.

Bars in Roppongi are not really my thing. I prefer Shinjuku / Shibuya for drinking, or some of the multitude of great bars throughout the city
Old May 17, 2017, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's stick to luxury hotels and travel. If you wish to discuss the pros and cons of Roppongi bars (and I've been to a few in my time in Tokyo as well), that's best done in the Japan forum.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old May 18, 2017, 12:14 am

Well, Im in love with Prince Gallery. Booked a Deluxe - got an automatic Club Deluxe upgrade without asking (THANKS DAVIDO) and all the Luxury Priveledge rate (including 4th night free).

Excited.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I recently completed a stay at the Shangri-La in a Horizon Club Premier Room and my overall impression was very positive. My point of reference remains the Ritz Carlton (Club Level) where I stayed in a Club Tower Suite last year.
Shangri-La summary:

Pros:
-Location: if proximity to Tokyo Station is important to you, you can't beat the Shangri-La
-Horizon Club service and food presentations are excellent
-One of the best spas in town
-Well-designed hard product

Cons:
-Location: the proximity to Tokyo Station can also be a negative, as you can hear the trains in the distance (not annoying but audible) and the views aren't ideal if you look down on the tracks.
-The hotel has a bit of a business vibe to it, I'd say it's more of a luxurious business hotel than a true luxury hotel.
-The largest room category (Premier Room) is the same size as the smallest Suite (Executive Suite) at 68 sqm, which impacted me as -for the first time ever- I had to decline an upgrade (because the Premier Room comes with much better views as it is a corner room).

Overall, while the RC remains my favourite hotel in Tokyo, the SL is a very good (and more affordable) alternative.
If you're interested in a detailed report, the link is in my signature.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Let's stick to luxury hotels and travel. If you wish to discuss the pros and cons of Roppongi bars (and I've been to a few in my time in Tokyo as well), that's best done in the Japan forum.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Location relative to bars is relevant to luxury hotels

--

Just checked in to the Prince Gallery Kioicho yesterday for another stay and this time they gave me the Kioi Suite. Absolutely epic upgrade at my favorite hotel in the world.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JohnRain

Cons:
-Location: the proximity to Tokyo Station can also be a negative, as you can hear the trains in the distance (not annoying but audible) and the views aren't ideal if you look down on the tracks.
-The hotel has a bit of a business vibe to it, I'd say it's more of a luxurious business hotel than a true luxury hotel.
-The largest room category (Premier Room) is the same size as the smallest Suite (Executive Suite) at 68 sqm, which impacted me as -for the first time ever- I had to decline an upgrade (because the Premier Room comes with much better views as it is a corner room).

Overall, while the RC remains my favourite hotel in Tokyo, the SL is a very good (and more affordable) alternative.
If you're interested in a detailed report, the link is in my signature.
Their rooms have always been whisper quiet to me and I always preferred the corner rooms towards Skytree. It's like an RC lite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.