Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nmuva98
Hoping for advice on an upcoming, very short 1-nigth stay in Tokyo.

Wanting to try something new, I believe I have narrowed it down to:

1) The MO (never stayed there before, but have done the Tapas Molecular Bar & the Mandarin Bar on previous visits and liked the overall feel of the property)
2) Aman

I usually would just do the Aman, but having just come off a disappointing Amanpuri stay I'm a bit hesitant to spend the extra cash (roughly 500 USD for base room at MO vs. 900 at Aman), especially given it's just a 1-night stay.

Any thoughts?
If Aman were on their game, they'd make it that your Tokyo stay would somehow make up for the previous mistakes at Puri. Not sure how likely that is to happen so I say stay at MO and put that money into drinks, food and shopping.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Go with R-C club level.

My second choice is Mandarin Oriental.

I am also a fan of Andaz Tokyo, but it's entirely possible that I'm treated better than most guests there. It has mixed reviews, but it's definitely a beautiful property worth trying in my opinion.
I just had dinner at the MO last week based on the raves here on FT. I would warn any potential customer that this hotel allows smoking EVERYWHERE and the fumes permeate everything. I will avoid the MO on that issue alone. Also, I found the F&B to be poor. The famous award winning drink, the Nihonbashi, is watery and tasteless. But it does look pretty.

I do not share your opinion of the Andaz but I was in an entry level room. The Andaz did not upgrade me, claiming to 'be full'. The entry level room is inadequate for even a cheap Sofitel, let alone a hotel of this supposed caliber. I found the F&B to be mediocre at best.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mike_la_jolla, which restaurants? (7+ at MO)

Originally Posted by nmuva98
500 USD for base room at MO vs. 900 at Aman
MO does not have pool
MO 50m2 vs aman 71m2

aman vs MO >

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
out of The MO, Aman Tokyo and Gora Kaden that [aman has] been my favourite hotel of our trip
hard product of Aman Tokyo is just so much better - it feels more spectacular and I guess more serene and organised
we ended up with:
3 nights at MO

I just absolutely loved the rooms at Aman Tokyo
ended up with:
2 nights at MO
1 night at Aman Tokyo
checked out early and went back to the Aman, as their hard product was just so vastly superior.
Originally Posted by Aventine
Aman:
- the spa facility and treatment rooms are the best in the city.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 16, 2017 at 11:23 am
Old May 16, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
mike_la_jolla, which restaurants? (7+ at MO)
Mandarin Bar. It was awful. I have to assume the other restaurants are better (?).
Old May 16, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

kind of different from fine dining, tasting menus, private dining

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I was in an entry level room. The Andaz did not upgrade me
bay / tower / park are same size
8 suites in 3 categories (2 sizes)
164 rooms total is not that big
Old May 16, 2017, 11:49 am

kind of different from fine dining, tasting menus, private dining
Not sure what you mean. I'm in Tokyo on business. When I've returned to the hotel I'm tired, jet-lagged and in no mood for a 52-course meal stretched over 7.5 hours. I always eat at the bar when I'm traveling. And that is how I am going to judge the F&B .... by what I can get at the bar ...
Old May 16, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some of us know that, but when there are 7 restaurants (excluding bar) "F&B" is not exactly clear

decent luxury properties should serve off menu, and top luxury properties serve any menu anywhere

curious to see reports for hoshinoya, each floor has 6 rooms (incl 83m2 kiku) and private lounge area

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 16, 2017 at 12:38 pm
Old May 16, 2017, 12:10 pm

FWIW, I am one of the cigar smokers at MO when I stay there... it's Japan, not California. I also have dined countless times at the hotel's signature restaurants, and have never had a problem with smoke, which I also do not like while eating.

I recall that mike_la_jolla did not like Andaz, which is partly why I posted the disclaimer that I recieve unusually good treatment at this property, so cannot really objectively comment on service. I've also never stayed in any of the standard room categories. I think that makes a difference. It's an hotel that works for me, but not necessarily for everyone.

I think R-C club level is peerless. Ritz-Carlton is very good for people who do not like smoke. Smoking is only allowed at bar areas. I don't even know if they have smoking rooms or suites, as I never book them for myself.

decent luxury properties should serve off menu, and top luxury properties serve any menu anywhere
MO and R-C are such properties. What you want when and where you want it, period. However, of course special orders from specific outlets could be difficult if outside of kitchen operating time. But, unlike some hotels like the Peninsula Tokyo, they do their very best to fulfill any request without batting an eyelash.

Mandarin Bar. It was awful. I have to assume the other restaurants are better (?).
I just read this. Of course the smokers are in the BAR. It's so funny to me how Americans, and especially Californians, will travel the world and assume they are entitled to a smoke free environment in a bar or restaurant. That isn't the case in Japan. Guests at that bar have every right to smoke, and people who don't like it have the right to sit and order their drinks elsewhere

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; May 16, 2017 at 1:35 pm
Old May 16, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
I was thrown a curveball when my wife said that she wanted to tag along with our infant for my Tokyo trip next month. I'm currently booked at RC-Club level but wondering if anyone has suggestions/experience with infants at these hotels.

That said, I don't find Tokyo to be very baby friendly (especially at restaurants, transportation, etc), so there's still a chance that they won't come!
Old May 16, 2017, 2:15 pm

Tapas Bar Molecular is awful. Avoid at all costs. Major Michelin star baited tourist trap.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I just read this. Of course, the smokers are in the BAR. It's so funny to me how Americans, and especially Californians, will travel the world and assume they are entitled to a smoke-free environment in a bar or restaurant. That isn't the case in Japan. Guests at that bar have every right to smoke, and people who don't like it have the right to sit and order their drinks elsewhere
We don't like dress codes either ...
Old May 16, 2017, 5:18 pm

We don't like dress codes either ...
At least in that regard the Japanese hotels are not bad. In future, just have dinner in any of the restaurants instead of the bar and I assure you smoke will not be a problem.

I am still laughing about your recounter of the ridiculous dress code "enforcement" at the Savoy. And it's not as though it's even a good enough hotel to justify that kind of pretense.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; May 17, 2017 at 2:37 am
Old May 16, 2017, 5:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
While I liked my stay at the MO, I would try something next time. But I enjoyed Mandarin Bar, but was surprised at the smoke smell when walking into the hotel the first time.

Didn't notice anything re dress code either.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:28 pm

Conrad lobby also reeks of cigarette smoke, at almost all hours.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MattEvan
Any recent experiences at the Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho? Some of the reviews look pretty good. AmEx FHR is offering stay 4, pay 3 there (and Amex is also offering same at SL, and 3rd night free at PHT).
I just had my second stay there at the weekend, was good the first time, this time even better with some of the small issues I experienced previously ironed out. The hotel is physically stunning, possibly the most beautiful in Tokyo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.