Wiki Posts
Search

Value for club floor?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Value for club floor?

Hi

I was wondering if you had an opinion about paying for an upgrade for a club floor? What is an exceptable rate increase and if is there value for the additional dollars?

Thanks

G
Old Jul 23, 2007, 6:48 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
How much are the Club amenities worth to you? Come up with a figure. Any incremental cost increase *less* than that figure represents a good value!
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

welcome to FT

in order to determine how reasonable the cost is, you have to have details on the benefits, as well as the costs/benefits of other properties in the area (both luxury and non luxury)
Old Jul 23, 2007, 7:24 pm

Often the continental breakfast for two covers the cost of the club floor. Whatever there is in the afternoon is just a bonus. Overseas, drinks are often free. Sometimes there is free internet access.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:36 pm

Depends on the property. $50-100/night is usually a good deal.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:53 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Gurki
Hi

I was wondering if you had an opinion about paying for an upgrade for a club floor? What is an exceptable rate increase and if is there value for the additional dollars?

Thanks

G
Welcome to Flyertalk. I may have a different perspective re: Club Floors.
Not only do I look at the bar/food amenities, I look at comfort. There are times when, not having a suite, I want to have a good comfortable place to relax. A Club Lounge often offers a zone of comfort, quiet and privacy. Hard to put a price on these amenities. Having said that, I am rarely disappointed when paying the premium for the Club Floor.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:39 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
In my mind it depends on how much time you actually plan to spend at the hotel during your stay. If you are out and about during most of the day the club access is of less value. Sometimes I pay for club level and often I simply hope for and usually receive a upgrade through FHR. Also with an FHR reservation I am provided with a breakfast voucher which makes morning club access less of an issue.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:46 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Not only do I look at the bar/food amenities, I look at comfort. There are times when, not having a suite, I want to have a good comfortable place to relax. A Club Lounge often offers a zone of comfort, quiet and privacy. Hard to put a price on these amenities. Having said that, I am rarely disappointed when paying the premium for the Club Floor.

On occasion we have had interesting conversations with other travelers who are also relaxing in the club lounge.

Another bonus
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Exactly. I think you would be off cheaper taking every drink you'd take there from the minibar and ordering food to your room if you're hungry but you probably won't do it as much because you are a bit cheap (well, I would be). But if it's all inclusive its more "worry-free".

In the RC Berlin club lounge they had free alcohol by the way, I don't know what types though (you are served) only drank beer.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There are lounges and lounges, though. Some are unbelievably poor, especially in four star hotels (I've seen some particularly poor Hilton lounges which I wouldn't have paid $20 for if it hadn't been included) and are basically nothing more than a place where you can get a (simple) breakfast and possibly a glass of rubbish wine at night.

The best lounges (and actually my favourite is IC LeGrand in Paris) will offer a good breakfast spread with cooked items, complimentary newspapers - including overseas ones, PC's with free internet access, and a decent food offering in the evening which is enough to keep you going. You also need more than enough chairs so everyone has enough privacy. The unlimited free champagne served at your seat that they have at the IC in Paris also helps.

If you are on business, I often find the lounge food offering (light breakfast, light evening snacks) is enough to keep me going and saves me from sitting alone in a restaurant or messing about with room service, or eating too much by attacking the full breakfast buffet downstairs. Lounge eating is good for those on diets!

Bottom line is that, if its not a hotel with a reputation for having a good lounge, then I am naturally suspicious and won't pay more than the value of the breakfast and a nominal sum for evening snacks. I then won't be disappointed if the lounge turns out to be a conversion of 2 guest bedrooms with only 10 chairs, the food is shrink-wrapped / microwave reheated / not hot at all, the drinks are limited to 2 bottles of wine per night on a "when its gone its gone basis" and there are no PC's, books or newspapers. Sadly about 80% of lounges fall into this category.

The renovated IC in London is charging £96 ($200) inc taxes per night for lounge access, unless you book a suite. At these sort of rates it is exceptionally difficult to justify the cost.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
I have a well documented love in this forum for Club Level floors at the best chains. As a matter of fact, I'm writing this from the RC Philadelphia club level .

RCs system-wide, the few FSs and other Asian clubs at lux hotels are usually worth it IMO. Mid-market or down market clubs? not worth it in that instance in most cases IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.