Wiki Posts
Search

Luxuriest hotel in India?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Luxuriest hotel in India?

Hi,guys

May i know which is the luxuriest hotel in India and how much it costs to stay for a night there?
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oberoi and Aman are mostly $500+

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 22, 2007 at 11:53 am
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:50 am

There was an article in one of the new Travel magazines about one in India being rated just about the highest in the World. Will get fact on article and post it.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Any tour of India which goes Imperial (Delhi), Oberoi Agra, Oberoi Jaipur and Oberoi Udaivilas, as we did last November, will cover 3 of the worlds top 50 or so properties (and 1 in the next 50 ie The Imperial) in one trip.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:29 pm

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
The Oberoi Udaivilas in Udaipur was recently selected as the best hotel in the world in the Travel+Leisure magazine readers' poll. The Oberoi Amarvilas and Rajvilas also placed high in the survey.

Cheers,
T.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
The important point here is which location you are interested in India (mountains, city, sight-seeing, beach). There are different luxury hotels in different locations and it is not possible to compare these properly.

One of the best Oberois I have stayed in for service is at the Vanyavillas. There are about 25 luxury "tent" (it is called a tent but the tented bit is superfical, it is actually a solid structure with a top quality finish and a walled garden). With so few guests (50 at any time), they know the names of all the guest and you are always referred to by name (Mr xxx & Ms YYY) at all times in reception, restaurant etc). However, the only reason you would go there is to experience tiger safaris. It is a boring location otherwise.

The Rajvillas (another Oberoi) in Jaipur has fanstatic villas , luxury tents again (slight smaller than the ones above) and even a couple with private pools. The service is not as personal given the size. Given that this is an a major town with the airport for easy access, this resort outside the city is a haven of luxury when you see the humbler parts of the city, which there are many.

There are some Taj hotels which are actually historical palaces. However, what most tourist forget is that historical palaces are by definition - old; and may have certain problems with plumbing and maintenance. The service is still good but there are some issues with delivery. Do you go for the old historical Lake Palace Hotel in the middle of the lake or the modern Udaivillas by the side of the lake.

Aman/Oberoi hotels are all newly constructed which means new intrastructure but does not really have the charm associated with the real India

I thought the Imperial is Delhi was good but not fantastic (average pool area for example) but then it is a city hotel. The same goes for the Taj Palace Hotel in Mumbai. There are comparable to top hotels in main large cities, probably the amongst the best in Delhi/Mumbai but they are not exceptional.

Last edited by KenJohn; Jul 22, 2007 at 12:43 pm
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:35 am

Thalassa: thank you. Page 172 of the August 2007 issue.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 1:05 pm

Udaivilas

Originally Posted by Thalassa
The Oberoi Udaivilas in Udaipur was recently selected as the best hotel in the world in the Travel+Leisure magazine readers' poll. The Oberoi Amarvilas and Rajvilas also placed high in the survey.

Cheers,
T.
Note to all, the GM at Udaivilas is Mr. Henry Gray who with his wife Char where the GM's at Amandari for 10 years and also at Mahakua Hacienda de San Antonio for 2 years. During their time there the hotels recieved all kinds of awards. It goes to show you that its the people who run the place and their staff who make a hotel so wonderful.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by zigzag
Note to all, the GM at Udaivilas is Mr. Henry Gray who with his wife Char where the GM's at Amandari for 10 years and also at Mahakua Hacienda de San Antonio for 2 years. During their time there the hotels recieved all kinds of awards. It goes to show you that its the people who run the place and their staff who make a hotel so wonderful.
I absolutely agree with you. I stayed at Rajvilas in Jaipiur soon after it opened, and it was fantastic, largely because of the superlative staff. On my second stay, which was 2-3 years ago, service was very very average. There were lots of problems with it, and I met the GM (whose name I can't recall), as I was leaving. Although he made a point to listen to me, I could sense that he just didn't get it. He wrote to me later, and again his email seemed to be defensive rather than proactive in terms of resolving the issues they had. I know that the "-vilas" hotels were still generally good from my own experience at Vanyavilas (which reminded me in terms of service of Rajvilas when it opened), and from hearing from friends and reading reviews here. I really wasn't surprised when I heard a few months after my interaction with the GM that he had been replaced.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by KenJohn

Aman/Oberoi hotels are all newly constructed which means new intrastructure but does not really have the charm associated with the real India
Not completely true. The Oberois in Simla, Kolkata, and Cairo are all historic properties which have been restored. Although, I agree that most of them are newer properties.

Last edited by You want to go where?; Aug 9, 2007 at 7:15 am Reason: edited to remove reference to Wildflower Hall which is in a historic location but is newly built.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.