Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FS Maui or Big Island

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2007, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mktozd
Hualalai is perhaps the best Four Seasons if not hotel in the world at which we have had the pleasure to stay. We planned this trip for our engagement and it really exceeded all of our expectations. While the hotel is expensive, I really felt that it is an excellent value given the level of service that you receive. The service is exceptional by the standard of Four Seasons around the world and is uniform from check-in to check-out. Moreover, the fact that the resort does not charge for lots of ad-ons and that Hawaii state and resort tax is a relatively low 9% makes this even more compelling.

From your arrival at Kona Airport, the Four Seasons staff is there to retrieve your luggage for you (they stand at the front of the carousel and check EVERY tag until they find yours). The airport is very pleasant and once they find your bag, they load it in your car, taxi, etc. We selected the taxi route in that is was easy and convenient (about $30 with tip). It is interesting to note, that most guests of Hualalai do not rent a car, and the reason has nothing to do with money, but rather that most people have no desire to leave paradise. The resort is truly paradise and a walk beyond the hotel to the many VERY expensive homes ($3 million to $50 million), confirms this.

Upon check-in, you will enter one of the most elegant lobbies and be offered fresh juice, a floral lei and cold towels. The lobby building also has a Jewelry store, Fine Art Gallery, Cultural Center on the lower level and several fantastic views of the ocean. Once you have checked in, you will be whisked away to your room with your bellman on a golf cart. If you have not visited Hualalai, he may give you a brief tour of the resort.

The rooms are fantastic and come complete with a top of the line bathroom, beautiful canopy bed, sitting area, balcony or terrace and flat panel TV. Additionally, you will find many other special amenities such as an in room fridge, iron and other things that you might like if you plan to stay a while. Indeed, many guests return regularly and stay for prolonged periods of time. Our favorite feature was the outdoor lava shower that is shown in our pictures and is akin to taking a shower in a forest. It is amazing that you can take a shower and the flowering plants around you are positioned so as not to be soaked. One warning about the lava shower, the water pressure is very strong, I imagine to help keep things clean.

Below are some of the things that stood out as being particularly exceptional around the resort.

Beach Tree Grill Great menu, food, service and environment. The live music from 6:30 to 8 pm is very pleasant as are the views of the ocean. We ate here many nights and really enjoyed every bite.

The Hualalai Trading Company Everything that you need from souvenirs to soda is here and we enjoyed visiting on a daily basis. If you like soda, they sell it for $1 per can and most items are very reasonable.

The Lava Lounge Walk up the stairs from the Pahu i`a and you will find a wonderful musician at the table, a lovely view of the ocean and some of the best drinks. Check out the Veuve Clicquot Mojoitos. The Lounge also serves nice snacks and deserts.

Romantic Dinner on the Beach - Dinner on the sand with a private server in time to watch the sun set off the coast and looking onto Maul. This was a fantastic experience and our server Duane really made a special evening more special.

Surf, Sand and Stars Barbecue Dinner on the sand with everything in the would you could want. Very festive atmosphere and a bargain at $79 per person.

Big Island Buffet Breakfast at Pahu i`a with a wide assortment of wonderful food. A wonderful value at $29 for the buffet and $39 with mimosas.

Nice Touches (all complementary) Stamped postcards on the beach, fruit kabobs, suntan lotion, cabana service, Evian spritzers, LOccitane soap in all public bathrooms, candles in bathroom.

Hualalai is a fantastic hotel for couples, families, young and old. Many people that we met during our visit return on a regular basis and we could see why. If you have dreamt of Hawaii, of paradise, of life, Hualalai is for you.
Ok, i just printed this out and read it to my hubby in the other room. We are "in" for Hualalai. We have 6 nights total on this trip (we have to stop in LA for 3 nights on our way out), so i am thinking we will do it al here.

This is only our second trip to Hawaii and we spent 4 nights on Maui before, so i was leaning towards the Big Island.

I did notice they have the 5th night free promo - so we are definately going to take advantage of the deal.

Thanks for all of the advise!

We are looking forward to the trip.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 6:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by macinas
Ok, i just printed this out and read it to my hubby in the other room. We are "in" for Hualalai. We have 6 nights total on this trip (we have to stop in LA for 3 nights on our way out), so i am thinking we will do it al here.

This is only our second trip to Hawaii and we spent 4 nights on Maui before, so i was leaning towards the Big Island.

I did notice they have the 5th night free promo - so we are definately going to take advantage of the deal.

Thanks for all of the advise!

We are looking forward to the trip.
Congratulations and thank you for your kind words. We stayed for six nights as well and enjoyed every minute. One of the things that I wish we had tried was the spa area. While we are not big spa people, they have private outdoor huts and everyone seems to rave about it. Whatever you do at Hualalai, I have no doubt you will have a lifetime experience.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mktozd
Congratulations and thank you for your kind words. We stayed for six nights as well and enjoyed every minute. One of the things that I wish we had tried was the spa area. While we are not big spa people, they have private outdoor huts and everyone seems to rave about it. Whatever you do at Hualalai, I have no doubt you will have a lifetime experience.
We have become "big spa people" - even my husband. We are looking forward to the trip and definately plan to get a massage while we are here. I think we are even planning an entire day just hanging at the hotel... I can't wait.

Aloha
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EX PLT
we only stayed 2 nights and wish we could have stayed longer. enjoy!
Old Aug 2, 2007, 7:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
We have become "big spa people" - even my husband. We are looking forward to the trip and definately plan to get a massage while we are here. I think we are even planning an entire day just hanging at the hotel... I can't wait.

Aloha
Its funny, we spent a lot of time reading about all there is to do on the big island and once we got to Hualalai, we never wanted to leave. Indeed, we only left once to go on a helicopter tour with Blue Island. As we spent time at the resort, we found that most people check in and never leave until they go to the airport.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:38 am

I never realized it until now. My wife and I do the same thing. We always have these big aspirations to site-see and visit other attractions, but we end up staying at our resort for nearly the entire trip.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Smile

Well we are back from our trip. We were totally thrilled with the FS Hualalai. This place is truly a gem amoung gems. When i first read these posts, i didn't quite understand how people could "not want to go visit" the rest of the island. Once we were there, i completely understood. It took everything we had just to go visit other parts of the island. When we were "out and about", all we wanted to do was hurry back so we could spend time on property.

We have already made a promise to each other that we will return here for our 20th anniversary in a couple of years. This time, we may never leave.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:54 am

Well we are back from our trip. We were totally thrilled with the FS Hualalai. This place is truly a gem amoung gems. When i first read these posts, i didn't quite understand how people could "not want to go visit" the rest of the island. Once we were there, i completely understood. It took everything we had just to go visit other parts of the island. When we were "out and about", all we wanted to do was hurry back so we could spend time on property.

We have already made a promise to each other that we will return here for our 20th anniversary in a couple of years. This time, we may never leave.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.
While it is a bit belated, glad to hear that your trip worked out and hope to see you again in Hualalai soon.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
best cresent

What are people's thoughts on which is the best FS Hualalai cresent to be located?

We love snorkeling but appreciate quiet. Will the King's pond area be too loud?

We are currently booked in the Shell cresent. Is this primarily for families with children? Is it loud?

I'd love to hear which is your favorite cresent and why.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
What are people's thoughts on which is the best FS Hualalai cresent to be located?

We love snorkeling but appreciate quiet. Will the King's pond area be too loud?

We are currently booked in the Shell cresent. Is this primarily for families with children? Is it loud?

I'd love to hear which is your favorite cresent and why.
Hi Goodmorning2U. We have yet to find a spot at Hualalai that we didn't love, but each of the crescents has its own advantages/disadvantages as follows (North to South):

King's Pond - Overlooking the snorkling pond carved out of lava and filled with natural water and fish. Rooms on this crescent have some of the best very open ocean vistas from many of the rooms as they get a clear view over the pond. This crescent is also sunnier than some of the others. Generally, King's Pond has more adults and is probably the second quietest and most private crescent. King's Pond is also home to the new super suite at the northernmost tip, and includes five bedrooms. Pahahai is right around the corner. The more distant location also provides for less cart traffic, while still being close to amentities. We will be staying here at Christmas this year
Sea Shell - Most families with children will prefer this crescent because of its proximity to the Sea Shell pool. It is very centrally located within the resort and has the largest number of bungalows of any of the crescents. Lots of shaded areas and palm trees make it visually appealing but probably block some of the ocean views from people's rooms. Cart traffic can get a little heavier in this area, but certainly not problematic.
Beach Tree - Also very centrally located and tends to be the most social because of proximity to the adult pool and beach tree bar. This crescent has the fewest number of bungalows, but is close to everything and should be particularly appealing given the re-opening of the beach tree grill and bar with the executive chef from FS New York's 57. Generally see a mix of couples and families with older children.
Palm Grove - Probably the most private of any of the crescents and prefered by couples. The central ring of palm trees creates a very nice effect, though it does block ocean views from rooms further back. You will find almost no cart traffic here, but it is a bit more of a walk to restaurants, etc. We stayed here and really enjoyed it.
Golf Ocean - Rooms past Hualalai Grille overlooking the 18th hole and the ocean a bit further out. Generally find a mix of families and couples here. Is further from some of the action, which offers some privacy and lovely terraces. We stayed here our first time at Hualalai and I would be very happy to return. The prices are a bit more attractive.

Back to your question of if I would stay in the Sea Shell crescent if visiting without children. I would probably pick one of the others. King's pond may be just right if you like snorkeling. Palm Grove is nice if you like lots of green and want to be a bit more isolated. Ultimately there is not a bad room on the property. Good luck.

Also, I have pasted a link where you can click on a detailed resort map http://www.fourseasons.com/hualalai/...act_sheet.html
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Thank you Mktozd. Your detailed response makes our decision much easier to make. We will request the King's Pond crescent and I will report back at the beginning of October.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Thank you Mktozd. Your detailed response makes our decision much easier to make. We will request the King's Pond crescent and I will report back at the beginning of October.
Great, have a wonderful trip. I would love to hear about the new Beach Tree Grill, it sounds like they have really re-done that offering.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 6:07 am

Now that the big refurbishment is finished, I am intrigued by the 20 new suites they have built, which sound really good. I also hear they have expanded the spa and that the Beach Tree has been re-done, with new outside spaces. Best news of all for me is that Nick Mastrascusa, who is a wonderful chef, is now in charge of this. He was at '57' in FS NY. Wish I was going there now....
Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Now that the big refurbishment is finished, I am intrigued by the 20 new suites they have built, which sound really good. I also hear they have expanded the spa and that the Beach Tree has been re-done, with new outside spaces. Best news of all for me is that Nick Mastrascusa, who is a wonderful chef, is now in charge of this. He was at '57' in FS NY. Wish I was going there now....
Agreed on the new chef at Beach Tree. We are looking forward to try this December.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
If theres a ba club sale starting next thursday [rumoured],I'm there!
Hualalai is one four seasons at the top of my list too for a return visit and I so mirror your anticipation of what the renovation is like.

Goodmorning2U we were at the kings pond when we stayed there last year pre renovation.
I thought it was heaven then ...never mind what the resort must be like now.
I'm envious-Enjoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.