Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Money-no-object Bali advice?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2007, 9:45 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

The Bulgar does indeed have a beach, albeit small. We I was there, there where around 16 beds down there. However, getting from the villa the beach involves a walk (or buggy ride) to the funicular, the ride down, and a walk down a few more steps. I didn't mind, but this might be a concern for some people. There is a nice open-air restaurant pavillion right above the beach (next to the funicular platform)

One thing to add: The view from the villas is out of this world. Absolutely breathtaking.
Old May 15, 2007, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

various beachfront >

Bali
-private villa

Malaysia
-FS Langkawi ($1500-$5500)
-private villa

Filipines
-Amanpulo ($2750-$3850)

Phuket
-private villa
-Aleenta (~$1000+)

Maldives
-Huvafen Fushi & Dhoni Mighili
-OO Reethi Rah
-FS Landaa Giravaru

Bora Bora
(-FS Residences)

Seychelles
-North Island (~$4000+)

Caribbean
-Altamer ($3570+)
(-St Regis Temenos Residences)
-Parrot Cay
-private villa

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 15, 2007 at 6:37 pm
Old May 15, 2007, 5:13 pm

None of the villas at the four seasons Jimbaran are beachfront. the front line ocean view villas are the best. The two bed royal villa (villa 100) is the best location at the resort (small lap pool, jacuzzi,ice cold plunge pool outside the private sauna and butler/security staff bedroom) 101 next door, a regular villa with small plunge pool has an equally nice seafront view.
Old May 15, 2007, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmm, thanks for that additional info/correction.

how close is the Royal Villa to the beach? it says "waterfront" on the FS site.

none of the rooms say "beachfront" like Langkawi, Punta Mita, Hualalai, etc.
Old May 15, 2007, 6:29 pm

The Royal villa or the villas close by are an easy 3 minute walk from the beach. theres no need to use the golfcarts. i think all of these villas begin with 1 (yeah, i know, obvious). there is an easy downhill walk to the beach.
Old May 15, 2007, 6:40 pm

Second thoughts on FS Jimbaran Bay

This topic was largely disputed several months back.

After an extensive trip throughout SE Asia, I stayed in Bali for a week, half in FS Sayan then the remainder at Jimbaran Bay.

Nice facility (no immediate beachfront access; but close nonetheless), showing its age, very comfortable villas with individual pools, but lousy...lousy views dominated by the airport.

I don't consider myself that much of a hotel snob but I was so dissapointed in seeing and hearing jets day & night from the (across the bay) adjacent airport that I wrote FS Corporate and said "nice facility...but move it". I would not return.

I found the entire beach, that spans from FS Jimbaran Bay passing the Intercontinental and eventually half-sphere's at the airport, to be quite unremarkable. It is also a "working" beach with the locals occupying the a large swath on the central beach area for active fishing.

I spent an afternoon at Amankila and found the property much more attractive, seemingly a higher level of luxury, great views of the east side of the island and beach access. The property is on a high cliff with a private beach being a jaunt down the steps.

The only issue with this is that this side of the island appears to be a shipping lane and large container and fuel ships peruse by frequently and even anchor.

After the experience, I acknowledge that I would have preferred to spend my entire time in the jungle (Sayan), or at the minimum, reversed my order of stay; Jimbaran then Sayan.

My thoughts.
Old May 16, 2007, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hmm, thanks for that additional info/correction.

how close is the Royal Villa to the beach? it says "waterfront" on the FS site.

none of the rooms say "beachfront" like Langkawi, Punta Mita, Hualalai, etc.
I just came back from a stay at the IC and walked past the FS on the beach side and they are definately not "beachside" but their pretty close.

One other interesting thing to note is I found out why the InterContinental has special immigration clearance for its club members. Its owned by the Indonesian government!
Old May 16, 2007, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IC does that at several of their properties including the French Polynesia ones IIRC
Old May 17, 2007, 3:28 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Originally Posted by tbonephile
I just came back from a stay at the IC and walked past the FS on the beach side and they are definately not "beachside" but their pretty close.

One other interesting thing to note is I found out why the InterContinental has special immigration clearance for its club members. Its owned by the Indonesian government!
Accurate observation and the latter fact is why I like the IC. It can be very helpful to have immigration assistance when only a few counters are open for many foreign visitors.

You can enjoy your drink in the lounge while the IC staff takes care of your luggage, visa, etc. in ten minutes you are in your car with all your belongings.
Old May 18, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Thanks for all the help. After much deliberation, debate and disagreement from me, she is getting a villa at the FS Jimbaran Bay.

Mike
Old May 18, 2007, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

which one?
Old May 18, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Wrong choice! FS Jimbaran is by far an inferior experience to Amankila, FS Sayan, Amandari.
Old May 18, 2007, 7:40 pm

I agree 100%!

Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Wrong choice! FS Jimbaran is by far an inferior experience to Amankila, FS Sayan, Amandari.
Old May 18, 2007, 7:50 pm

I have stayed at villa 100 (royal villa) with friends in 101 (sea front 1 bed) at The FS Jimbaran and also at amankila (I was lucky enough to have stayed at the amankila suite.) I would choose amankila (any suite). enjoy Bali !
Old May 20, 2007, 6:55 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Yep, wrong choice. Please keep working on her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.