Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel in Australia - experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2007, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF FF/ AEROPLAN
Sofitel in Australia - experiences?

Hi all. I'm a newbie so please be gentle. I searched first and found nothing so I'm going to ask....

Like most on this forum a travel a lot for work. I like to try a different hotel each time where possible (location has to be convenient for business) - just to compare. If I do stay as a repeat guest, I like Westin....

I recently had occasion to stay at two Sofitel properties for the first time - one in Mel and one on the Gold Coast. The GC property was the best hotel on the south end of the Coast I have encountered - contemporary style, comfortable, GREAT pool - with all facilities I required.

The Melbourne hotel I found very average - for what I paid, I thought service, F&B etc was not of great quality. The rooms were a bit ho-hum (great view excepted) - bathrooms small. I paid an extra $86 for use of "Club" facilities that didn't really exist. There is not dedicated floor as I had expected.

Is this indicative of the chain that quality varies greatly? I was considering trying the Sydney hotel as a test, but would appreciate others comments.

Cheers,
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:01 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Yes, your result is typical of Sofitel. Very inconsistent chain with a few quite good properties, the rest average to below average. Most other chains are more consistent and predictable. The SYD Sofitel is a bit better than MEL, however I would not categorize it as one of the 10 best hotels in SYD, so don't expect too much and you can do a lot better.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=sofitel and other posts in that forum. Which Sofitel did you go to in MEL? The one on Collins Street I thought was excellent, albeit it was many years ago when I was there.

All the Sofitels I stay at in Europe have been excellent. Beyond excellent in many cases.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:20 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stayed at the Sofitel Cairns last August and it was fine, although I wouldn't categorize it as a luxury hotel. We popped for the extra to get a larger corner room and it was MUCH larger and, I felt, definitely worth paying extra for. Certainly must be one of the best hotels in Cairns.

Welcome to FT, Onlyluxe!
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:08 pm

I wonder am I missing something here ? Is Sofitel a luxury chain in Australia?
It certainly isnt in Europe or Asia by a long shot.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:41 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Pauldublin
I wonder am I missing something here ? Is Sofitel a luxury chain in Australia?
It certainly isnt in Europe or Asia by a long shot.
Australia is the same; I'd categorize Sofitel as being upper-end Hilton instead of luxury. But there are some Sofitels that are the best hotel in town, so it isn't unreasonable to ask this in the Luxury forum. In SYD/MEL, Sofitel doesn't fare so well, the competition is better.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes but there are many, many Sofitel threads in the "other" hotel forum so questions are probably best asked there.
Old May 2, 2007, 10:00 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I don't have any facts to add, just wanted to welcome onlyluxe to flyertalk and this forum! Welcome! ^
Old May 2, 2007, 3:28 pm

Question So, what is the scope of this forum?

I, too, am a newbie. Given some of the responses to this post (and others) I have a question, and assume this is as good a place to make my inquiry as any other.

The forum is Luxury Hotels, and the Forum's home page indicates that its purpose is to discusses chains "such as the Ritz-Carlton and the Four Seasons." Is it your opinion and or practice to limit this forum to these chains? It seems fairly narrow to do so, considering that there are many luxury hotels outside those chains' properties. I've stayed in less than "luxurious" Ritz Carltons and have had great "luxury" experiences at other hotels, either independents or other chains. Sofitel is a case in point -- it has numerous properties on the Conde Naste Gold List. The Sofitel LA is a great property, and I'd rather be there than the Four Seasons Westlake any day.

I thank you in advance for your opinions on appropriate topics for this particular forum.
Old May 2, 2007, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Gruver
I, too, am a newbie. Given some of the responses to this post (and others) I have a question, and assume this is as good a place to make my inquiry as any other.

The forum is Luxury Hotels, and the Forum's home page indicates that its purpose is to discusses chains "such as the Ritz-Carlton and the Four Seasons." Is it your opinion and or practice to limit this forum to these chains? It seems fairly narrow to do so, considering that there are many luxury hotels outside those chains' properties. I've stayed in less than "luxurious" Ritz Carltons and have had great "luxury" experiences at other hotels, either independents or other chains. Sofitel is a case in point -- it has numerous properties on the Conde Naste Gold List. The Sofitel LA is a great property, and I'd rather be there than the Four Seasons Westlake any day.

I thank you in advance for your opinions on appropriate topics for this particular forum.
If you stick around a little, you will see that the discussion is not only focused on those well-known chains you've mentioned. Often people don't know what could be regarded as luxury and just ask suggestions about luxury properties in a given city/location. Bali is the land of luxury accommodation and you'll find many luxury properties that are not part of a chain. I can't comment of Sofitels, but I believe that one of their 5* could be on par or superior to one of the so-called luxury chains. If you are a chain it's harder to keep the standard high everywhere; furthermore. I do believe that luxury is a personal thing and what is luxury for someone might be tacky or else for another (e.g. the Burj Al Arab in DXB).
Old May 6, 2007, 6:54 am

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
I also found myself looking for information about Sofitel. I ended up booking elsewhere because their site was so vague. For room pictures it only showed a maid changing soiled sheets. Just a guess but maybe they are trying to market their housekeeping because the rooms are so mediocre???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.