Search

Raffles Plaza or the Oriental-Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2007, 3:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by mario33
I have lived in Singapore for many years (and consider myself a local) and the Oriental was never a major hotel in town.
So do you guy think the Pan Pac will be a better bet than the Oriental?

We are looking for good service and a good club floor.

Thanks
Ben
Old Apr 16, 2007, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Benny8444
So do you guy think the Pan Pac will be a better bet than the Oriental?
I used to stay at PanPac for weekend getaways because it "was" cheap and I like the location. Its decent but if its a special trip I wouldnt stay here. Its also set back further from the bay , so not as nice a view compared to the Oriental.

I think you will do fine with the Oriental in SIN, eventhough it doesnt quite have the stature of the MO in say HKG or BKK. The advantage is that the lower profile keeps the room rates down, and I believe they have done a good job with the refurbishments. Dont forget to book a room with harbour view
Old Apr 16, 2007, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have now stayed twice at the MO in SIN. Once was pre-refurb and it was simply terrible! Second was after refurb, as I was given 2 free nights( due to first stay problems). After refrub it seems to have become better, but I wouldn't say it was in the top ranked hotels in SIN.......Many hotels are often overlooked because they don't have "the brand name" associated with them..........but if you look around you will find much better Luxe hotels than the MO SIN!
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
If the MO is not that good. What other hotels can I try for a good Club floor and good service?

How is the Herizon Club at the Shangri La?
or
The Club Floor at the Pan Pac?

The Club Floor is probalby our #1 priority.

This is both my dad's and my first trip to Asia and I want to make this a fun and special trip for his 50th B-day.

Thanks
Ben
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:15 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
If the MO is not that good. What other hotels can I try for a good Club floor and good service?

or

This is both my dad's and my first trip to Asia and I want to make this a fun and special trip for his 50th B-day.

Thanks
Ben
If you want special and can afford the splurge go for The Valley Wing at the Shangri La - Complementary Moet & cocktails from lunchtime until 10.30pm - complemetary snacks all day and private breakfast room. Totally separate Super Luxurious wing from the main hotel, which itself is pretty swanky. Number 1 hotel for Singapore on Trip Advisor - whilst relying on trip advisor can be risky, in this case it's a safe bet IMO.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:03 am

Getting confused there now Benny8444?

This 'lacking' or 'incomplete' quality of some of Singapore's top hotels in providing the ultimate 5-star experience is exactly the concern being outlined on this thread below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=661795

To add to your building confusion, there's only one choice for me in SIN. It's a club harbor view room at the Ritz Carlton
Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

or

Thanks
Ben
Unfortunately given the parameter of this forum only certain hotel chains and travel related companies seem to be allowed. Check out these web sites and have a snoop around..........

http://www.asiarooms.com/singapore/s...r&type=#hotels

http://www.asiahotels.com/hl/Singapore.asp

http://www.asiatravel.com/singapore.html
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:05 am

I've never stayed at The Plaza, but IMHO, the Oriental beats the pants off the Four Seasons. The breakfast presentation in the Club Oriental is amazing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.