Search

Trip Report: Amansara (Cambodia) & Both Four Seasons Maldives

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:18 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by tmft
Great report! What made you pick Four Seasons over One & Only? I'm debating this right now as we like

awesome views
good swimming
nice snorkeling
good food
good service

We were put off by how close together the OWB at FS LG look.
We chose FS over O&O because:
- The FS looked a little more rustic/natural whereas the O&O looked a little more glitzy
- FS provided direct seaplane transfers between their two resorts
- We were strongly considering the FS Explorer
- O&O was new and we were concerned about the onsite snorkeling since they had built up the island with lots of additional sand

Having said that, I would still like to visit the O&O someday. The reviews are very good.

I'll let others who've been to both do a comparison....
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:20 pm

Ericka's reports was excellent, but let's remember that this was 2007 and all the resorts mentioned have now moved on (or not).

Four Seasons Kuda Huraa is now exceptionally good. FS LG is a beautiful island with great snorkelling but its close-together accommodation is, IMHO, not well built and in some places is cracking (private pools). I am sure this will be dealt with, but compared to FS Kuda Huraa it is so lacking in warmth. I find O&O much more 'embracing' staff-wise.

O&O is unique - nothing like it. In fact it is not glitzy, just manicured. Some of the guests can be a little bling, but generally only at Christmas and New Year. 12 beaches are hard to beat.

I would return to FS Kuda Huraa in a heart beat and to O&O. Less so FS LG.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OTOH FSLG's 2BR overwater are also unique

agree re OORR's island size/density - plus the beachfront villa pool design

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 29, 2010 at 10:11 pm
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:25 am
Aman Contributor Badge

My trip report to the two FS Maldives resorts is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...le-report.html

We were there in February 2009.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:05 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I'm having a total flashback right now...just glancing into the water and seeing all manner of colorful fish, crabs, rays, eels, juvenile sharks....you don't even have to be snorkeler....just look down while walking around the resorts.

I really have to get back.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Musken
My trip report to the two FS Maldives resorts is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...le-report.html

We were there in February 2009.
Even since then, Musken, things have changed. I was there this year and was amazed by the improvements at FS Kuda Huraa.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:07 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Even since then, Musken, things have changed. I was there this year and was amazed by the improvements at FS Kuda Huraa.
Sure. Things are changing. I just linked to my report to make the thread complete given that someone was looking at an even older trip report.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:11 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Ericka's reports was excellent, but let's remember that this was 2007 and all the resorts mentioned have now moved on (or not).

Four Seasons Kuda Huraa is now exceptionally good. FS LG is a beautiful island with great snorkelling but its close-together accommodation is, IMHO, not well built and in some places is cracking (private pools). I am sure this will be dealt with, but compared to FS Kuda Huraa it is so lacking in warmth. I find O&O much more 'embracing' staff-wise.

O&O is unique - nothing like it. In fact it is not glitzy, just manicured. Some of the guests can be a little bling, but generally only at Christmas and New Year. 12 beaches are hard to beat.

I would return to FS Kuda Huraa in a heart beat and to O&O. Less so FS LG.
I stayed at the two FSs in September and agree with vuittonsofstyle's comparison. I had lower expectations about the KH but was really impressed with the warmth and service overall. On the other hand, the beach at the villa at LG didn't offer a lot of privacy and some aspects of the room design could be better in my opinion.

It was my first trip to the Maldives, so I can't compare to other resorts. Even though I had a slightly better impression of the KH, I would go back to the LG. For me the main criterion was the variety of things to do. Before I went to the Maldives, I thought that I would be bored -- but I easily filled up four days at the LG with the various activities. The different beach and pool areas, excursions, variety of solid dining options, and relatively large size of the island meant that I had plenty to do. Obviously it depends on what one is interested in for one's vacation, but that's one respect in which the larger LG is superior to the KH.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
We're thinking about staying at the FSKH in November with our 2 kids. The xfer would be speedboat, but we would like to get an aerial view in a seaplane. FSKH tells us that they can arrange 20 minute photo flight for $1700 (not inclusive of taxes, fees), which seems rather steep even for Maldives. Anyone has suggestions?

Last edited by 2cardinalalums; Jul 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums
We're thinking about staying at the FSKH in November with our 2 kids. The xfer would be speedboat, but we would like to get an aerial view in a seaplane. FSKH tells us that they can arrange 20 minute photo flight for $1700 (not inclusive of taxes, fees), which seems rather steep even for Maldives. Anyone has suggestions?
Why not book the package where you book at least 3 nights at each property and get FREE seaplane transfers? Seems like you'd pick up a free night instead of that insane quote and get your seaplane flight.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by paullevi
Why not book the package where you book at least 3 nights at each property and get FREE seaplane transfers? Seems like you'd pick up a free night instead of that insane quote and get your seaplane flight.
We're staying 4 nights, so this won't work.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Ouch, I've been to the FSLG twice (once on babymoon and once the following year) and I thought the 6 day babymoon trip was too short considering the distance flown from CA.

I bet if you expressed some interest in seeing the FSLG from KH, and there were seats open, I cant imagine they wouldnt let you just fly up there and back (there is always a late afternoon LG to KH flight for LG guests with late departures out of MLE) for little to no money.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by paullevi
Ouch, I've been to the FSLG twice (once on babymoon and once the following year) and I thought the 6 day babymoon trip was too short considering the distance flown from CA.

I bet if you expressed some interest in seeing the FSLG from KH, and there were seats open, I cant imagine they wouldnt let you just fly up there and back (there is always a late afternoon LG to KH flight for LG guests with late departures out of MLE) for little to no money.
Yes... Too many places to see, never enough vacation days.

Thanks for the suggestion to piggyback on KH-LG. Probably will be costly, regardless.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:06 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Another idea would be to stay at LG and - if you have a late plane back - leave LG early to go to Male and from there take the boat and spend the last day at KH. Boat quick and nice. I have heard that this is possible as my husband was offered to do this when we left LG (he was travelling somewhere else for work after holidays). He declined and spent the day at Male which he regretted. Really nothing exciting there.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Musken
I have heard that this is possible as my husband was offered to do this when we left LG
http://www.fourseasons.com/maldivesl...nsfer_package/

also http://www.fourseasons.com/maldivesk..._and_transfer/ ($150 / $300 discount)

Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums
We're staying 4 nights, so this won't work.
$750 x 3 + $900 x 3 = $4,950
an example of a starting point for negotiation

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 15, 2012 at 11:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.