Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Of Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 1:21 pm

Yes, I stayed on the Club floors on both.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:11 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Stayed at the Hyatt and hated it. The Landis... sublime. Top notch, personal service - even if being greeted by a line-up of the entire front of house team when I came back hot and sweaty in a pair of old shorts from a day's sightseeing felt a little uncomfortable.

As for Leaders Club benefits, I felt a little embarrassed that the gifts just kept on coming. Not like the MOHK (when it was part of LHW), where certainly in the latter days you always felt that the benefit was given somewhat reluctantly.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by Pauldublin
anyone any suggestions for Taichung? I know the Lalu is a taxi ride outside (anyone know how long a drive it is?) whats the best hotel in taichung?
A recent new hotel owned by Landis opened up called HotelOne. It's about a walk distance away from the Evergreen. I stayed in it when I was in Taichung last. You talk about a staff that watches every minute detail. I enjoyed my stay.

The Splendor is comparable to the Regent in Taipei but doesn't compare with HotelOne in my opinion.

The Evergreen has turned into a perpetual crapper in my opinion. Staff has become surly, food/beverage has gone down hill. What used to be a jewel in Taichung is now just rock bottom in my opinion.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: A Few
Shangri-La Far Eastern vs Westin

I'm having a tough time deciding which hotel for an upcoming trip. I want to pick the better hotel.

I'm torn between a 58 sq m Horizon Executive room at the Far Eastern and a 60 sq m Executive Suite at the Westin. Both are Club floor accomodations. The rate at the Westin is about $40/night less and includes a one-way airport transfer.

My gut says that the Far Eastern should be the superior property, but there seem to be quite a few fans of the Westin here on FT.

Anyway who has stayed in both...I'd love to hear your opinions.

Also, which hotel is better located for a leisure traveler?

Thanks
Old Dec 8, 2007, 2:29 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
yycworldtraveler, you're right about the Shangri-la Far Eastern being a superior property. It depends how important cost is to you.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
I've stayed at Shangrila and Hyatt....

I was on club floor at the ShangriLa and normal floor at Hyatt. The feeling I got at Shangrila was "nickel and dime". Hated the place. I am "SURE" it was just me.

When I first checked in I heard the club ladies shouting out to a customer as to how he would be billed for a meeting room (not good).

My last day there: I ate breakfast at the clubroom floor. A co-worker coming from another hotel (although known at the Shangri La ) sat down with me and picked up a few grapes. My room was billed no less than $30 for his breakfast although I didn't approve it. They removed the charge but I will never be staying there again.

Last edited by Flyer_70; Dec 8, 2007 at 3:26 am Reason: kan't spel
Old Dec 8, 2007, 8:16 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I had a horrible stay at the Regent Grand Formosa a few months ago. I posted a detailed report in this forum. Absolutely avoid it.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by virtualtroy
yycworldtraveler, you're right about the Shangri-la Far Eastern being a superior property. It depends how important cost is to you.
Cost is a consideration, but not the most important factor...especially when the price differential is only $40/day. I just want to pick the property that is most likely to deliver a 5* experience. Thanks for the input.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I had a horrible stay at the Regent Grand Formosa a few months ago. I posted a detailed report in this forum. Absolutely avoid it.
I read your review of the Regent...one of the reasons I crossed it off the list. Thx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.