Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotel in Bali (Ubud)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotel in Bali (Ubud)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2007, 5:49 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
From the restaurant pavillion at the Chedi Club near Ubud, we saw lots of fireflies at night over the ricefields-- just beautiful. The usual bugs were seen near lotus ponds and over the fields during the days, and some could be spied at night too, but nothing that bothered us or seemed extraordinary for a tropical island. We did see a few geckoes too, none of which, amazingly, tried to sell us car insurance. I really wouldn't worry about bugs in Bali. Siem Reap, Cambodia, seems to be another matter altogether.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWANMEBABE
I can tell your first hand if you pay over $100 a night for a room you are mad,you just call the hotels direct and barter. They are desperate for business out there now. I was paying $60 a night last week for a 5 star hotel, 2 people inc breakfast and tax.

Try this one for sure they will go below $100
http://www.mayaubud.com/
anyone else have thoughts on/experience with that?

also, tbonephile how many rooms are you getting?
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:06 pm

I would strongly recommend the Como Hotels (www.como.bz) properties in Ubud - the Uma Ubud, or, if you can afford it, the Begawan Giri. The Uma is a beautiful new boutique hotel - excellent service, great modern design, and lovely rooms. The Begawan Giri (also known as Como Shambhala Estate) is something else - it surpasses even some Aman resorts in spectacle and service, though it must be said that it does have prices to match. The official site is cse.comoshambhala.bz/. If you want a 'true' luxury hotel, that is the one to go for.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 5:22 pm

maya ubud is nice, but its certainly not luxury/ 5 star. But as Ive said before it depends on your expectations. It is a nice place but nothing like amandari or Como begawan Giri in terms of accomodation or service. At best it is a very good 3/4 star hotel with nice accomodation.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the OP said he wanted to pay less than $400 (assumably per room) and was specifically excluding Aman and FS (and therefore Como Shambhala as well) because they were higher than that.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:11 pm

would this be better on another forum?
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:13 pm

i dont think there is a luxury hotel in or near ubud for less than us$400. there are very nice hotels though and many would be deemed to be luxury by many people and thats ok in my opinion.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 8:04 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Pauldublin
i dont think there is a luxury hotel in or near ubud for less than us$400. there are very nice hotels though and many would be deemed to be luxury by many people and thats ok in my opinion.
Agree with you.

On the bug issue , a few years ago, we'd a lovely time at Begawan Giri but the last day was marred by sandflies.. the scarring from the bites lasted for more than a year. Although the property denied it, I understand from others that ours was not an isolated case.
We moved to Amanusa ( away from Ubud ) where the staff were very helpful and had their nurse check us immediately.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:47 am

I am also thinking of another property which could comply with your requirements (but I did not stay there) : http://www.puriwulandari.com/
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:27 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
This is a perfectly legitimate topic for this forum. There are plenty of luxury hotels in or near Ubud for less than $400/night, particularly if one avoids the peak seasons. With the state of the industry in Bali right now, paying over $400/night for a room is madness unless you're one of the Amans, the Begawan Giri, or a select few other properties. Word is that you can get good deals on even the Four Seasons, deals that would push the rates under $400, by contacting the hotel directly. Luxury does not mean outrageously expensive, particularly in certain corners of Asia. In this corner, Mr. Megatop and I enjoyed both a wonderful villa at the Chedi Club outside Ubub and an enormous suite at The Legian in Seminyak for under $300/night (base rate, incl. breakfast).

The OP specifically asked for luxury properties, and included a generous rate cap of $400/night. That excludes some ultra-luxe properties near Ubud (two by my count: FS Sayan and Amandari; Begawan Giri is quite a hike from Ubud), but it doesn't mean he's asking for a Motel 6.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO megatop summed it up well.

Also pricewise, Begawan would actually be fine, i just had a thought the OP might do single plus double for $850, but they even have promo rates right now >

http://cse.comoshambhala.bz/default....n=431&page=880

Word is that you can get good deals on even the Four Seasons, deals that would push the rates under $400, by contacting the hotel directly.
so the OP could call and ask, or perhaps even have a Virtuoso TA like David make the call.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:07 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
With the state of the industry in Bali right now, paying over $400/night for a room is madness unless you're one of the Amans...
I hope my upcoming Amankila stay is worth it!

Please don't make me regret my decision.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... you even quoted him as saying
unless you're [at] one of the Amans

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 2, 2007 at 7:16 pm
Old Mar 2, 2007, 7:21 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
... you even quoted him as saying
I know. Hence the smiley. I have never been to an Aman and was just hoping for reassurance that I won't regret the decision.

Apologies.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:03 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Smile

Originally Posted by auh2o
I know. Hence the smiley. I have never been to an Aman and was just hoping for reassurance that I won't regret the decision.

Apologies.
You won't regret it ..you'll have a wonderful time ..hope you're planning for more than 3 nights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.