Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing, Shanghai Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2007, 3:20 am
KKT

Programs: OZ Diamond, CX Silver, UA, DL
HONG KONG

I live in Hong Kong and I think MO is a much better location than LMO. But on every Sunday, the areas outside MO will be occupied by Phillippines maids (their day off) and it is not such a good scene.

Peninsula is definitely a great hotel and I would stay on high floor of the Tower Wing that have an unbeatable view over the harbour. The Main Wing do not have much view. There is quite a price difference in between them.

Usually business people like staying in Central area on Hong Kong side (i.e. MO and LMO) but the area is rather deserted in the evening. Tourists would prefer staying in Tsimshatsui area on Kowloon side (i.e. Peninsula) and many shops still opened in the evening.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:22 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by HKGjetsetter
SHANGHAI
Have stayed at the 4seasons in Shanghai - rooms are tiny and not good value for $$, location is not that great either.
Agree on both accounts, but service and food are really satisfying.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by KKT
Usually business people like staying in Central area on Hong Kong side (i.e. MO and LMO) but the area is rather deserted in the evening. Tourists would prefer staying in Tsimshatsui area on Kowloon side (i.e. Peninsula) and many shops still opened in the evening.
Central is deserted in the evening? Are you sure you live in Hong Kong? There are not too many tourists, but a heck of a lot of locals are partying til the wee hours in Central.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:28 am
KKT

Programs: OZ Diamond, CX Silver, UA, DL
Originally Posted by stimpy
Central is deserted in the evening? Are you sure you live in Hong Kong? There are not too many tourists, but a heck of a lot of locals are partying til the wee hours in Central.
You are correct. I forgot about Lan Kwai Fong and SOHO areas. I don't really consider SOHO as main Central area though. You can tell I don't hang out much on those places.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKGjetsetter
SHANGHAI

Have stayed at the 4seasons in Shanghai - rooms are tiny and not good value for $$, location is not that great either.

JW Marriott in Tomorrow square is a much better location for Tourist sights, no taxi required and you can walk around easily to the main sights, it has a great view too

^
Hi, with the 4Seasons, may I suggest booking through the FHR program? I book a deluxe roome, and every time have been upgraded to something quite large and nice. I do agree that JW is a nice hotel as well, but in my opinion the service at 4S Shanghai is really superior.
Old May 27, 2007, 9:41 am
Original Poster

OK - one more question. I was browsing rates and found what appear to be some good deals on some other places, so if anyone could help me, that'd be great.

Beijing:
Grand Hyatt vs. Peninsula.
At the GH, I have a 2 bedroom Grand Deluxe suite with breakfast included. At the Peninsula, I have two deluxe rooms (lowest level) with breakfast included and an extra amenity (either roundtrip airport transfer, dim sum lunch, or dinner at Jing). Pen is 60USD more per night.

Hong Kong:
Peninsula vs LMO vs FS
All are really similar prices. Superior (lowest) room at Pen, L450 (lowest) room at LMO and peak view room (again lowest) at FS. Breakfast included at all. I'm going to be in HK twice, so I'm thinking maybe LMO first and one of the others second (unless I just love the LMO and I could go back). I also have the MO for a bit more, but the room is so much smaller I'm thinking no for it.

Thanks so much.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Looking for a recommendation for a one night layover in Shanghai in September.

We have been to Shanghai before - stayed at the RC. On this trip we will be at the FS for 2 nights and then meeting a group for a trip to the Yunnan province and Tibet. We will have a one night stay in Shanghai before heading home.

We arrive around 6:30 PM and leave at 4 PM the next day so location isn't really important, although it would be nice to have a shorter ride from and to the airport.

thanks for the suggestions.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lkbside
Looking for a recommendation for a one night layover in Shanghai in September.

We have been to Shanghai before - stayed at the RC. On this trip we will be at the FS for 2 nights and then meeting a group for a trip to the Yunnan province and Tibet. We will have a one night stay in Shanghai before heading home.

We arrive around 6:30 PM and leave at 4 PM the next day so location isn't really important, although it would be nice to have a shorter ride from and to the airport.

thanks for the suggestions.
anywhere decent is negligable with respect to this requirement. i guess i'd shoot for the lm (with a corporate rate, i hope) under those circumstances, but would keep all options open..... keeping in mind that location trumps frills
Old Jul 4, 2007, 8:47 am

Apologies for the thread necro - this is my first post here and this seems to be the most relevant discussion to my query.

We'll be going to Beijing and Shanghai in October - we were planning on staying at the Pen in Beijing, mainly for location (and luxury) reasons. In Shanghai however we're undecided. I always quite fancied the Grand Hyatt but having read a lot of shabby reviews on TripAdvisor I'm now not so sure. As tourists would we be better getting a suite at Le Meridien?

Also, regarding HK places to stay, I can't quite believe no-one's mentioned the Intercontinental. It's got the best view of the harbour light show of any hotel in HK, IMO, and you really feel like you're in the thick of things even just resting in your room. We got good FHR rates from AMEX, including breakfast, upgrade, a couple of cocktails and afternoon tea.

Thanks,

Jon
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:51 pm

i will wait for park hyatt beijing open.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tyrone
i will wait for park hyatt beijing open.
I now have measured expectations for that hotel. Insiders have told me that the entire project has been wrought with problems since day 1. For example, rumor has it that one of the developers carved out the top 4 floors for himself. Furthermore, it has the misfortune of the sitting on the south side of Chang'an Jie (a strike against it insofar as Fengshui sensitive guests are concerned). But, I will concede that the complex looks pretty at night.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:13 am

well, the whole project delayed for sure.
according to its website, the top 4 floor should be restaurant, bar, and lobby lounge. (http://beijing.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/...ment/index.jsp)
about park hyatt's location, I hav nothing more to say, I dont believe the fengshui sensitive, but anyway thank you for the info.

:-:
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I now have measured expectations for that hotel. Insiders have told me that the entire project has been wrought with problems since day 1. For example, rumor has it that one of the developers carved out the top 4 floors for himself. Furthermore, it has the misfortune of the sitting on the south side of Chang'an Jie (a strike against it insofar as Fengshui sensitive guests are concerned). But, I will concede that the complex looks pretty at night.
according to its website, the top 4 floor should be restaurant, bar, and lobby lounge. (http://beijing.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/...ment/index.jsp)
about park hyatt's location, I hav nothing more to say, I dont believe the fengshui sensitive, but anyway thank you for the info.

Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tyrone

Regardless if you believe the fengshui sensitive, unless you are doing business in the SOHO towers the location will be an absolute nightmare for taxis- think 20 minutes at non-peak times to get through the intersection ahead...
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:36 pm

In Shanghai

Two new luxury hotels are opening north of Xingtiandi this year. They have almost identical design. One will be a Conrad, the other a Jumeirah.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.