Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions on Shangra La Hotel BKK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Questions on Shangra La Hotel BKK

My wife and I will be in Bkk in Mid March and later in March. The second time we are there we will stay at the Peninsula---where we have stayed before--but I was thinking of trying the Shangra La on the first visit. My question is should we book a deluxe room in the Krungthep Wing or an executive suite in the Shangra La Wing? I guess anither possiblity is a room in the Horizon Club.-----Thanks for any feedback
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:58 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
The Virtuoso properties in BKK are the Four Seasons, the Oriental, the Peninsula, and the Sukhothai. The last three are also Amex FHR.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply---but I already knew what is Viruoso Hotels and Amex FHR--Your reply does not really address my question--but thanks anyway
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:19 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
I would plump for the Krungthep wing. It is in a totally separate wing of the hotel and is very luxurious. In the main wing you will feel like you are in a very big and busy hotel - in the krungthep wing it is genrally very peaceful. You are also only 2 mins walk from the monorail.

The rooms in this wing are also quite large so if there is 2 of you you may find the extra space a suite offers unnecessary.

I believe also they may have a private lounge now (it's been 5 years since I last stayed there) where you can get complementary refreshments - I may be wrong on this so hopefully someone else will confirm.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks For The Help
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:11 pm

I stayed at The krunghep wing recently and I would definitely recommend it. its a quiet wing with excellent staff and feels like a totally different hotel to the main wing.
The rooms are very spacious and as already stated in a post its very close to the Sky train which is a great way to avoid the traffic.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from looking at their room list more, ive become really confused.

it seems like the horizon rooms in the regular wing actually offer more than the krungthep wing.. which is unlike SIN for example. the valley wing is superior to everything beneath it. in BKK it seems like there is a real crossover. but there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of differentiation within the krungthep wing..
Old Jan 4, 2007, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
from looking at their room list more, ive become really confused.

it seems like the horizon rooms in the regular wing actually offer more than the krungthep wing.. which is unlike SIN for example. the valley wing is superior to everything beneath it. in BKK it seems like there is a real crossover. but there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of differentiation within the krungthep wing..
Ive stayed in both - most recently about 1.5 years ago - personally, i always liked the main wing better - yes the lobby is busier - but i always felt the krungthep lobby was a bit dark and quiet whereas the main lobby looks out on the river and has energy. I have had suites and deluxe rooms in the main wing - and i always liked the decor - modern asian is how i would describe it - and the size of the rooms. You need to check, but i think the krungthep wing has balconies which the main doesnt - but then i just liked the view and didnt want to sit on the terrace.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so you have stayed on the horizon level in the main wing?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 5:27 pm
Suspended

so you have stayed on the horizon level in the main wing?
this was one of the type rooms i stayed in -- horizon premier i believe -- i like the river views in the main wing because the windows are quite big and look onto the river - but some might prefer a balcony

http://www.shangri-la.com/bangkok/sh.../en/index.aspx
Old Jan 4, 2007, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great info!

so how did the amenities/service compare overall between horizon and krungthep?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 6:02 pm
Suspended

great info!

so how did the amenities/service compare overall between horizon and krungthep?
i travel 200 nights a year so my recollections aren't precise, but i think the basic service and amenities were the same. There was of course a horizon club lounge - however i may have popped in once or twice. My experience w Shang lounges is they usually have lots of newspapers and magazines and are quite nice - open bar im pretty sure. the main thing i liked about the main wing are the big windows and great views of the river
Old Jan 4, 2007, 6:11 pm

Every room in the Krungthep wing has a small balcony that you can sit out on and enjoy the frantic but wonderful view of the Chao Phraya River. I loved it.
When we went to the main wing, I found it very busy and with wedding parties and daytrippers. Also, the main wing needs refurbishment (perhaps its the continual use by visitors). I agree the K wing is quiet and there are larger suites in the main wing, some with balconies.

In my opinion, if you have stayed at the Pen or Oriental, you will be dissapointed with main wing. Its more like the Dusit Thani.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.