Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Grand Hyatt Dubai

I'm posting this message from my room at the Grand Hyatt Dubai and I'd like to have a third-party opinion regarding the amenities of this hotel.

The Hyatt website states the amenities provided in a club room and they are the following:
Luxury amenities include king-size bed, marble bath with
tub, shower and bidet, and work area with high-speed Internet access.
Includes airport transfers and Grand Club privileges with access to a
private lounge serving Continental breakfast, evening cocktails and hors
d'oeuvres.
Amenities
Separate work area
Marble bath
Hairdryer
24-hour room service
Coffee maker
Cable/satellite TV channels
Analog phone line
Dataport
Fax machine available on request
High-speed Internet access
In-room safe
Mineral water
No rollaways
Three or more telephones

Robes
Spa tub
Iron/ironing board upon request
Minibar
25 inch or larger TV
24-hour concierge
Crib upon request
Dual line phones
Fruit bowl
Individual air conditioning control
Maximum guests per room: 2 adults & 1 child
Morning newspaper
Speakerphone
Voicemail

Was I wrong when I assumed the High-speed Internet access was included in the room rate (I was told upon check-in it isn't!). Second thing: in the amenities list, it states "fruit bowl". Was I wrong in assuming the fruit bowl would be filled with fruits? Technically, I have to agree with the fact that there is a fruit bowl in my room eventhough it is empty. And I have to admit their amenities list doesn't state that it would contain fruits. I however assumed reading this list that a "fruit bowl" meant a "fruit bowl containing fruits". Am I picky or would you agree with me that this is at least misleading?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by fredsxb
I'm posting this message from my room at the Grand Hyatt Dubai and I'd like to have a third-party opinion regarding the amenities of this hotel.
Thanks in advance for your opinion!
I would have assumed that the Fruit Bowl contained fruit. However, I would not have assumed that the internet access was free.

Cheers
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
I forgot to mention that the advertised cocktails in the lounge are fruit juices... (They are serving alcoholic beverages between 6 and 9 PM but we were specifically told that they didn't make cocktails (and apparently they don't even have a blender at the lounge)...

In addition, their nice indoor pool is strictly forbidden to children under 16 (since we have a 2 year-old daughter and did not know this because it isn't mentioned anywhere, it really sucks for us)!

All in all, we're off to a really bad start or maybe we're just picky...
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Is it your first time in Dubai? If so, you'll probably find quite a few similar unpleasant surprises a long the way. Naming food / beverage items is particularly interesting in hotels. I have seen cocktails that are actually juice, veal bacon that is actually veal, veal bacon that is actually bacon, carrots labelled as fruit etc.

FWIW I loved my stay at the Grand Hyatt... but then again maybe I'm not that picky As a 17 year old, I found the hotel to be quite child-friendly, more so than other hotels. I haven't stayed in the hotel part for a while now, as family members have bought an apartment inside the Hyatt.

If having a child-friendly pool is important, and you are on a refundable room rate, I would move somewhere else for the remainder of your stay. A word of caution: swimming Pool rules / timings tend to be quite complicated in Dubai as well, so ask before you go. Some pools have "ladies only" times, some have "adults only times" some have "no children under xxx years only" etc.

Cheers

Last edited by sadiqhassan; Dec 23, 2006 at 12:53 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 23, 2006, 1:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

Yes, a fruit bowl should contain fruit. Is there a help line you can call and ask for it? Is it possible that they bring fruit once a day (often late afternoon) and you have yet to receive it?

I'm afraid that use of the word "access" when saying "high speed internet access" is a code word saying "we will charge you for it." It's frustrating, especially when you are on the club floor, but that's how it is around the world.

Re your child, you might want to read thesilb's glowing report of staying at the hotel with his baby. She was too young to swim, but hopefully there are some other tips in that report you'll find useful. He does say in that report:

Originally Posted by thesilb
There is a giant kids pool with a climb aboard play structure and two waterslides for the kiddies; there is also a cabana-covered infant pool which looks like its own mini-beach.
Have you found those facilities?

I hope that your stay picks up; we've chosen the Grand Hyatt for a January stay rather than the Park Hyatt due to positive reports from both thesilb and rtwstaralliance.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 23, 2006 at 1:18 pm
Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Re your child, you might want to read thesilb's glowing report of staying at the hotel with his baby. She was too young to swim, but hopefully there are some other tips in that report you'll find useful. He does say in that report:

Have you found those facilities?

I hope that your stay picks up; we've chosen the Grand Hyatt for a January stay rather than the Park Hyatt due to positive reports from both thesilb and rtwstaralliance.
We chose the Grand Hyatt over the Park for the same reasons... Maybe it doesn't feel right because we stayed at the Burj Al Arab before the Grand Hyatt (the Burj Al Arab was fully booked for the rest of our stay when we made the reservations). I must say we haven't been disappointed by the Burj Al Arab, nor have we encountered "problems" like those mentioned above...
Anyway, the most annoying thing is the fact that we won't be able to use the indoor pool...
Merry Xmas and Happy New year to everyone!
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The GH is much, much, much nicer than the PH if you count overall value for the money. The PH looks very nice, but the service is terrible when you scratch beneath the surface and they really nickle and dime you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.