Wiki Posts
Search

Any Aman-style resorts in Australia?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Any Aman-style resorts in Australia?

We were planning (albeit at the last minute as I'm wont to do) to go for a nice break over Christmas in either Bali (FS Sayan), an Aman somewhere in the region, or at least something along those lines.

Of course, I now realize that my passport is due to expire in June, and not July. This could make entry into Indonesia or Thailand a problem, as I won't have the full six months of validity upon arrival. I'm half-tempted just to brazen it out, but I'm a bit leery of that approach.

Since I'm in NZ now, and will be back in Australia as of tomorrow, I am wondering if there are any luxury resorts in Oz that might approach an FS Sayan or an Aman. I've searched the archives, and the best I've been able to come up with is the Thala Beach lodge. I'm guessing it'll be hard to match that kind of service level in Australia, based on my experiences so far.

Any further recommendations in Australia?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 1:40 am

Seven Spirit Bay

This may not be an Amah resort but is a good mix of comfort and wilderness.

www.sevenspiritbay.com
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:08 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Hayman is much nicer than any Aman, but not because of the service level (which is about 10% of Aman's). Hard to over-rate how wonderful Hayman is.
http://www.hayman.com.au/
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:27 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We've been putting off a trip to Australia because we have yet to find any place that can stand up to the other resorts we've been to. The ones with good ambience seem to have poor service and the ones with good service - their design and decor do not appeal to us.

Looking forward to seeing some of the responses here in case we are missing anything...
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:21 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Ericka
We've been putting off a trip to Australia because we have yet to find any place that can stand up to the other resorts we've been to. The ones with good ambience seem to have poor service and the ones with good service - their design and decor do not appeal to us.

Looking forward to seeing some of the responses here in case we are missing anything...
You are missing a lot, but more so in NZ than in Australia. For whatever reason there are much more luxurious lodges in NZ (note, these are not resorts, but more like fishing lodges, but some have traditional English butler service and accomodation for staff traveling with the guest -- that is the market they are after). Huka Lodge (Taupo) is stunning, for example (also some of the best trout fishing in the world is nearby), and has better food than Aman.

If you want a resort, the only one I can think of is Paihia resort in Bay of Islands. That does have a spa and a 72 foot boat. But a big step down from Huka Lodge (however also 1/4 the price).
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:56 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I have seen pics and heard great things about Huka - will definitely keep that in my back pocket!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Originally Posted by number_6
Hayman is much nicer than any Aman, but not because of the service level (which is about 10% of Aman's). Hard to over-rate how wonderful Hayman is.
Could you elaborate on that? I looked at the website and while it looks certainly nice and interesting, I'm not sure what makes it so wonderful. Is it the natural surroundings?

The Huka Lodge really isn't what I'm after on this trip, nor do I have a personal entourage to accomodate. But I'll file it away for future reference.

Originally Posted by lulu65
This may not be an Amah resort but is a good mix of comfort and wilderness.

www.sevenspiritbay.com
Do you have any experience of the service they provide there?

On the more general point of my initial query, it looks like I can go to Thailand after all with my passport issues, but Indonesia is out. I was really keen to try some of the resorts there, but there's always next year (and a fresh passport).
Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:40 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
Could you elaborate on that? I looked at the website and while it looks certainly nice and interesting, I'm not sure what makes it so wonderful. Is it the natural surroundings?....
Yes, it is the natural beauty of the place, and a rare example of measured development that has proven to be sustainable (Hayman has been stably developed for decades). Uncrowded as access is strictly controlled, allowing for the ecology to survive and thrive. Helps to have a great climate and scenery. The hotel/buildings/food/service is OK but not the reason to come here (however Hayman is by far the plushest; if you want austere, try Heron Island -- which is interesting in its own right, sort of the anti-Aman).

The other signature resort in Australia is in the desert, by Uluru. I am loathe to recommend it as I don't think it is very good, but some people like it and you should evaluate it for yourself. http://www.longitude131.com.au/
Old Dec 21, 2006, 2:51 am

there truly is any aman style in australia .

Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
We were planning (albeit at the last minute as I'm wont to do) to go for a nice break over Christmas in either Bali (FS Sayan), an Aman somewhere in the region, or at least something along those lines.

Of course, I now realize that my passport is due to expire in June, and not July. This could make entry into Indonesia or Thailand a problem, as I won't have the full six months of validity upon arrival. I'm half-tempted just to brazen it out, but I'm a bit leery of that approach.

Since I'm in NZ now, and will be back in Australia as of tomorrow, I am wondering if there are any luxury resorts in Oz that might approach an FS Sayan or an Aman. I've searched the archives, and the best I've been able to come up with is the Thala Beach lodge. I'm guessing it'll be hard to match that kind of service level in Australia, based on my experiences so far.

Any further recommendations in Australia?
hard presssed to find a hotel in the Aman style in OZ o even in NZ for that matter...... there may be many boutique hotels and lodges......eg HUKA etcbut NONE has an aman style to them.......not that they are not good......but no aman touch....

however if you insist on going to australia for that holiday then you could try out BEDARRA resort....dunno if t still exists in its original form but thats the closest to an aman concept.....without the "style"......its on a provate island and have heard of service issues....and Aman did have a look at it to turn into an Aman some years back......

HAYman is more in the style of hawaiian style type of resort than an aman ....

of course there were two Amans i australia many years back...burnham beeches in victoria and Milton Park in new south wales.....but thats gone now....ad never had the aman aesthetics......

you could also go to Bora Bora .....!! or even amanwana.......!!!which are Amans !!

hotels mentioned longitude ad 7spirits etc....are more boutique eco nice hotels with a dfference ....none in t he aman vein
Old Dec 21, 2006, 2:47 pm
Original Member

Good point; there isn't, and never will be, an Aman style resort in Australia or NZ -- just like the Aman in US is not "Aman style". Personally I prefer the US version of Aman, sans fawning service. I guess others must too, as the Asian Amans have been slowly changing. They will always have a higher staff/guest ratio than any property elsewhere in the world, including Amans.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 4:54 pm

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, BA Gold

Having stayed at several Amans, including the new one at Turks & Caicos, and at Hayman Island I think the latter is not a patch on the Amans - not just because of service, but because of ambience, food, amenities, etc etc.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, SPG Gold, HH, Marriott Silver, Delta, United, TSA Prechk/GE
Lizard Island

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned this yet, though bearbrick mentioned Bedarra which I believe is run by the same company... Lizard Island was absolutely amazing and beats Hayman by a mile. On a private island on the GBR, we left our doors wide open during the day while we were out, and never had a room key. The pictures, especially of the rooms, don't do it justice:

www.lizardisland.com.au

one of the features I loved was the 26 (?) private beaches on the island. We would have our "own" beach for the day, with a champagne picnic lunch, and the people at the resort keep track of who's on which beach, so the beach truly is private. Unbelievable snorkeling and diving.

Lizard is one of my favorite resorts in the world, and I've been to some fantastic places in Bora Bora, Hawaii, Mexico, the Caribbean. I can't recommend it enough - it's one of the places I long to visit again.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:44 pm

Good point; there isn't, and never will be, an Aman style resort in Australia or NZ -- just like the Aman in US is not "Aman style". Personally I prefer the US version of Aman, sans fawning service. I guess others must too, as the Asian Amans have been slowly changing. They will always have a higher staff/guest ratio than any property elsewhere in the world, including Amans.
HHhhmmm.... when i say Aman style i was thinking more aesthetics/and sensibility and the "non Asian " amans are designed by the same architects as the asian amans...thus far anyway...with a few exceptions...and for me the architecture and interiors takes up a big portion of the Aman Factor ..of course location and other do play a part as well ....as for service ..good and bad service is a universal concept...we know bad service when we experince it and appreciate it when we get good service....irregardless of geographical boundaries... in the Aman context.... the service style reflects the local culture and norms which is important....

i have stayed at le melezin and bagnols [ when aman had it] , amanjena ie non asian amans and found the service to be good [ and sometimes ok ] but there were always staff there when they were needed and service as you mentioned...but this is true also with the..asian amans.....which are very much in the same vein except for the high staff ratio in asia ..[.i think the reason for that is that the asian properties are designed more sprawling and a large part of the staff are in areas like gardens / maintainence and security .etc etc.].....fawning ?. .......well nah....they are just being polite and probably there is a comunications barrier we have to consider too...but i do think there is a cultural angle to this as well...irregarlesss of whether its an aman or not.....and they more than any other hotel operator ensure they adjust and best reflect and adapt to the enviroment [ this includes the physical building ] they operate in ........its good efficiecnt, perceptive and thinking service all round at any Aman...

Last edited by bearbrick; Dec 21, 2006 at 9:08 pm
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by kboo
I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned this yet, though bearbrick mentioned Bedarra which I believe is run by the same company... Lizard Island was absolutely amazing and beats Hayman by a mile. On a private island on the GBR, we left our doors wide open during the day while we were out, and never had a room key. The pictures, especially of the rooms, don't do it justice:

www.lizardisland.com.au

one of the features I loved was the 26 (?) private beaches on the island. We would have our "own" beach for the day, with a champagne picnic lunch, and the people at the resort keep track of who's on which beach, so the beach truly is private. Unbelievable snorkeling and diving.

Lizard is one of my favorite resorts in the world, and I've been to some fantastic places in Bora Bora, Hawaii, Mexico, the Caribbean. I can't recommend it enough - it's one of the places I long to visit again.
i left out lizard as i also put it in the same category as "hawaiian type of hotels" ....and lizard although more successful and more accepted by the people is IMO a little below Bedarra in the Aman factor
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:26 pm

I've been to Hayman and enjoyed it very much. It compares favorably to any Hawaiian-type resort, even FS. I've never been to an Aman, but my impression is that Hayman is not comparable. It's not the kind of place you will feel like you're being treated like royalty.

Hayman has many of the plusses of a larger resort, including restaurants, shops, and other facilities, without feeling at all built-up. You never feel like you are in a crowd (except perhaps when you can't get a dinner reservation). There is a lot of space. Service is excellent and professional but not all that warm. Every day there is a long list of activities to choose from, including sailing, snorkeling, scuba, etc. The island setting is excellent. Pool is spectacular (obviously). Don't miss the seaplane to the reef.

Given my level of expectation (quite high but not stratospheric), I was very impressed with Hayman Island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.